Comparisons

Hello, I was wondering if any BigHorn owners have had in the past either a Keystone Everest, or Montana 5er?...I am looking at the Big Horn 3055RL and love the triple slide with the rear living in that length...To me I like it better than the Keystone Everest 295TS...(their version of triple slide in that length range) I currently own a Cardinal 5er 29RKLE...I really want to stay at around 30' but want the third slide for more room and the living in the rear with that third slide makes it nice and roomy!.... Would like to know if anyone has had the above mentioned products and what you think in comparison with the Big Horn. :) Anyway thanks, would appreciate any feedback...Happy Holidays to all!

Mels Musty Music

Hi - We had a Montana 2850RK that we were very happy with and also had a Cougar before that. The third slide concept appealed to us too and thought we would get the Montana 2980 but decided to see what else was available. Thank goodness we took our time for a change!
Our final list included Montana, Everest, Cruiser and Hitchhiker II with the Hitchhiker ($$$$) on the top of the list. Fortunately we decided to go to one last RV show and as luck would have it there was a Bighorn 3055RL on display. We have no Heartland dealers in our area so had not been aware of their product lines. My wife and I looked at each other and said this was almost exactly what we had been looking for although the "show" price wasn't too attractive. Went home and found this forum and the rest is history.
Picked up our 3055RL last month in Muskegon and are very pleased with it so far. The fit and finish and quality of materials used in its construction helped us make our decision. Be happy to answer any futher questions you might have if I can.
I also see that you live in Ohio and suggest Adam or John at Lakeshore RV in Michigan - they beat my local show price by $13,000!!!

Hank

J

Jim_1899

Re sale Value

I bought the Bighorn 3500 and looking into the future a few years I will want to sell it or trade it in for a brand new RV. Does anyone know how about the value on used Bighorns.

Tom of Ypsi

Jim,
You can go to http://www.nadaguides.com and get all of the info needed to get some idea on what a used coach is worth. As you probably know the first couple of years the depreciation on a coach takes a big hit in value then it levels off. Hope this helps.

jpmorgan37

Jim:
Start watching PPL in Houston. They are the largest consignment dealer in the US. I took my Sea Breeze there (in February) when I bought the Grand Canyon. They sold it in four months and got a better price for it than I thought. They charge 10% and handle everything. In Texas, it has to be inspected ($10.00) and have a certified weight slip ($5.00). These you need to do yourself because if they do it, they charge time and mileage. Their web site is: http://www.pplmotorhomes.com Anyway it will be a good place for you to watch to get an idea of market value. You could probably call and talk to the sales manager and get a ball park asking price also.
John

J

Jim_1899

To answer the question on the re-sale of the Heartland RV’s compared to other models. My own opinion is that they will hold there value much better than other brands. The reason I feel this is because the docking station, turning ratio, hard wood cabinets, style and design, and the counter tops. I think we really got a lot for our money and when we trade in we will get top dollar, but to pay more for a brand new Heartland because of they are growing with a good reputation. What do you think?

tdharley

I really dont want to be a downer but I dont think the outlook for the whole RV industry is too good. Atleast for the coming 4-5 years with fuel prices going up. It seems that it is cheaper to hop on a 69.00 plane, than to pay .30 a mile to take a family on vacation.

Of course we will get used to the high prices and eventually look back on 2.75 a gallon and say "remember when". In the mean time I am not gonna worry about the trade in , since I know I am gonna take a beating but will enjoy my grandkids and the adventures I expect to have.

I do think that the Bighorn was a good value and as long as they overcome their growing pains we will do alright. Of course if they dont we will take a big hit, who wants a rig you cannot get service or parts for?

svd

I hear you on the fuel prices, but I am not going to let that hold me back! Not happy about it, but what else can you do? I really don't think there is anything so unique about Heartland that you couldn't get parts if they went under ( and I sure hope they don't). All manufacturers buy from the same suppliers from what I can see. What sets them apart is design.

As for declining values, anybody remember Award trailers? Lightweight and ahead of their time, and they still can bring 5-6k in good shape.

ct0218

I would like to think that a Heartland product would hold its value a little better than some other brands, but truly believe that it would be a nominal amount. The Heartland committment to satisfying the customer is definitely a benefit and helps the value. There are some low-end brands that may lose value a little faster, but any recreational product-be it a fifth wheel, a motor home, PWC, boat or whatever, it is not an investment. You have the convenience of not packing and unpacking every day, sleeping in your own bed, in some cases a home on wheels, etc., but these are expenses. The upside are the advantages listed above, the downside is it costs you. You just have to determine what its worth to you. A few years ago I owned a large boat, enjoyed it immensely, and my cost per pound of fish caught was 2-3 times what it would have cost me at the Fresh Market, but it was worth it to me. Would I buy a Heartland again-you bet.