Refrigerator Use

dvanden75

What are the pro and cons of running the refrigerator all the time when the units not in use. Is there a such thing as only so much runtime on the units? I have been only running mine when I need to versus leaving stuff in it all the time and leaving it on.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I don't know the technical aspects of running the refer all the time. I can tell you once we dewinterize and load it for the season it runs 24/7 unless we take a month or so off. In the winter, we clean, defrost, and leave the doors ajar. Many people full-time with the refers so they must be able to handle that kind of use.

Best wishes!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Mine is left on all summer, whether we're in residence or not. So far, we've only needed to defrost the freezer in mid-summer and at the end of the season. Even then, it was only about 1/4" of accumulation.

wdk450

I went looking on some RV refrigerator sites I know of and could find no mention on this. I DO know that the ammonia adsorbsion (compressorless) refrigeration was the original powered refrigeration system used in large ice plants and the like after early 1900's, and are still in use today. Also, the RV-type models are used for months on end in remote cabins that don't have line power electricity.
So I guess they are OK for continuous use. There will be energy usage and increased fire risk.

Northern Virginia
We run ours all season even if it's empty. They tend to get really funky, even after it's cleaned out, when you shut them off. Especially if you close the door.

bighorn3370

I leave mine on all the time. If you keep it at storage yard, it run your battery down in a few days.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We travel full time and ours has run all the time since we bought it, Feb 2008. Still going strong. We also only defrost ours maybe twice a year.

BC

a1avet

Liv'in on the Edge with a Vue
I am having a an issue with or refrig in the M18 Edge. We put it on Auto and with the LP tanks on but won't run on LP. is there another vlave or bolt that needs to be opened?

I also am having issue with 12v. If I pull the fuse for Ref then replace it runs fine on 12v.
But if I start the truck an then turn it of again the refrig beeps and wont find the 12v until I pull the fuse again.

What am missing here?

I even cycle through the sources 12v, 120v, gas and back to 12v. Nothing.... :-(

a1avet

Liv'in on the Edge with a Vue
Ok, I had problems all last weekend getting the refrig to run on gas. I called the dealer and just as I was waiting for him to call me back, the darn thing starts working fine..... Gremlins or fairies just playing with us.... :)

hoefler

When you change the bottles out, you will get an air bubble in the line. Some times it takes awhile to purge it out. Try running the stove for a couple of minutes to help purge the air out. If the fridge is on the end of the line, you may have to just cycle the fridge several times to get it to light. Check the burner, make sure there is no spider webs or wasp nest in the burner tube.

traveler44

When did they start running on 12v? Do any of you know if the 09 B.H.s run on 12v.. I forgot to turn the propane valve on, after filling, and ours just didn't cool for the next 200 miles. Tom M.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
When did they start running on 12v? Do any of you know if the 09 B.H.s run on 12v.. I forgot to turn the propane valve on, after filling, and ours just didn't cool for the next 200 miles. Tom M.

Only certain models of refridgerators will actually run on 12V and are called 3-way models. The RM2354, RM2454, RM2554, and DM2663. The control panel will have a mode selector button for AC or DC, along with indicator lights for it. This info is from my Dometic DM2862 manual, which is only gas or 120V.

All models use 12V to power the display, in the event 120V is not available and you're running on gas.

wdk450

Only certain models of refridgerators will actually run on 12V and are called 3-way models. The RM2354, RM2454, RM2554, and DM2663. The control panel will have a mode selector button for AC or DC, along with indicator lights for it. This info is from my Dometic DM2862 manual, which is only gas or 120V.

All models use 12V to power the display, in the event 120V is not available and you're running on gas.

They ALL use 12 volts to run the logic and ignition circuit board, which not only lights the front panel lights, but switches relays for gas or electric operation, opens the gas valve and makes the high voltage sparks to light the burner, and knows to shut off the burner gas if the burner does not light after a short period of time.