No LP From Second tank

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
I have a problem getting LP from one of my tanks. I have no problem with either tank when connected to the side with the (regulator I think that is what it is called) where both tanks come in and the switch for selecting the source. Hope this makes sence. If I direct/switch to the other side and tap the regulator the indicator will go green slowly and the stove will light. Once lit, with a good flame, it will die out after a few seconds. I believe I have a regulator problem but before spending a bunch of money thought I'd get your input. If replacing, is there anything I should consider or is it quite simple and test with soapy water for leaks?..../Doug

Last edited:

jnbhobe

One thing to check is the hose to the tank. I have heard of them collapsing or detereating from the inside. Or maybe you could switch hoses from one side to the other. Just an idea before you spend money for a regulator and change over valve

sdagro

Turn off gas on the faulty tank. Remove hose completely from tank. Now replace hose fitting back onto tank. When opening your tank valve open it slowly to allow line to fill slowly. Now go and try your appliances/stove whatever. Sometimes when you open the valve too fast it causes the safety feature ball to activate on the tank to lock any propane from escaping. In other words, when you open the tank valve too fast the safety device thinks there is an opening allowing the gas to escape therefore it does it's job and locks. WHEW> Hope this helps. Steve A. Dagro

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I had the same thing happen to mine and it was a bad regular and a bad hose. Switch both of them out and it works fine now. BTW there is a device in the hose that will shut down the flow if it flows too much. When turning on the tank turn it on slowly so you do not trigger the shutdown device in the hose.

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
I'll try to check out the hose, I did disconnect the hose as I switched the tanks around trying to determine if it was a tank or regulator problem. Both tanks work great off the one side but not the side opposite the regulator. Thanks, Doug.

Willym

Our dealer had a new LM with these symptoms. He found a sticking check valve in the supply line from the tank on the door-side, located in the door-side gas bottle compartment.

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
Ditto what he said, I had to replace both hoses that concect to the regulator as they would not allow enough flow to service my gen. Talk to your CS guy I am sure that HL is very aware of this as they have replaced many hoses.

KL7j

I had a Montana 5th wth exactly this problem and symptoms.
I spent some time switching tanks as I was under way on the Alaska Hwy in very late fall and that furnace was important ;)

I found after arriving home that one line from the regulator to the tank had a sharp bend and had a restrictive kink. I went to my propane dealer with my tank/regulator hose and he noted hoses come with identical ID but the side walls and rubber quality can differ a great deal. Cheaper hoses tend to kink on bends are are not used in the cold on his customers. The hose was replaced with a better quality one and problem solved.

Incidentally the propane dealer also noted that sometimes condensate also collects in the low hoses and to try draining them if issues arise, much like the Cummins/Onan LP generators have that fluid collection hose you can drain into the oil drain hose when changing oil in the BH gen set.