Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Cheap Heat - RV Comfort Systems

1. Print this Post   #1

Cheap Heat - RV Comfort Systems

I discovered an add on heat system built and marketed by RV Comfort System - this is an add on unit which is compatible with 30 and 50 amp systems, for both the plenum system trunk line fastened directly to the furnace with floor registers, and the ducted system runs of 4 pipes - I have attached the link for anyone who may want to take a look - given that we are going to full time, I was thinking this may be worth checking in to for our Oakmont.... it would mean freedom from only using propane to heat the 5ver with the added ability to use electric heat through the same forced air heating system.

I am just wondering if anyone has heard of this, or perhaps is using it curently in thier unit....

http://www.rvcomfortsystems.com/index.html

thank you for any comments - safe travels~

2. Print this Post   #2
    Heartland: Director of Owners Interests jbeletti's Avatar

Re: Cheap Heat - RV Comfort Systems

I've never heard of it but looks like a Bighorn owner has as there's a Bighorn on their testimonials page. So, it looks like an electric heating system that bolts onto the furnace and uses the furnace fan to blow air through their heater and into the duct work. Pretty cool item. Space and access is going to be the most difficult part of this install. Probably need to add a dedicated power circuit back to the breaker panel for it. But that will be the easiest part of this install. If you end of doing this, please take pictures so you may share them with us and inspire others.

Jim

3. Print this Post   #3

A really big plus for this system in sub-freezing conditions is that it would provide basement heat. Non-ducted space heaters neglect to put heat in the basement leading to frozen under-floor plumbing (learned by experience full timing in the winter)
    Gary & Edie +Two spotted poodles
    Hayden, North Idaho
    Heartland Club Member 1116
    Sundance 2800RLS 2009
    (previous BH 3400RL)
    Dodge Ram 2500 HD 4x4 2007
    ...Cummins turbo diesel,
    ...short bed, timbrens

4. Print this Post   #4

I think this unit would be a nice addition to a OEM propane unit from the OEM. It would be nice to buy the rig with an optional electric/propane heater. The concept is great, but I wonder how long it would take to amortize the cost from a retrofit application?

5. Print this Post   #5
    Prolifically Gabby Member JohnDar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RoadJunkie View Post
    I think this unit would be a nice addition to a OEM propane unit from the OEM. It would be nice to buy the rig with an optional electric/propane heater. The concept is great, but I wonder how long it would take to amortize the cost from a retrofit application?
    Figure with the installation labor and the cost of the unit, roughly $1500. A tank of propane runs about $30, give or take. So, it equals about 50 refills of a 30lb tank. This does not take into account if your long-term site has an electric meter and monthly bill associated with it.
    Camp Gotchurwallett
    John & Darlene (with Ally, the princess feline furball)
    Max the Cat - RIP
    2009 GMC 3500HD SLT CC D/A DRW
    2009 Bighorn 3670RL

H.O.C. #1225

6. Print this Post   #6
    Perfict Senior Member westxsrt10's Avatar

I have posted a electric heat (underbelly+ interior) system that works for a fraction of that cost if you are a DIY'er. Hopefully Heartland will offer a electric duct heat system that keeps the underbelly from freezing soon for the average user.
    09 Sundance XLT 287RL, (SOLD and missed)
    08 Ford F-250 CC Lariat 4x4 V10, FS air bags, SCT tunes @5StarTuning.com
    10 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Crew Cab
    08 Dodge Viper coupe SRT-10
    2014 Fleetwood Storm 32H with 2014 Jeep Patriot toad.

7. Print this Post   #7

I have actually used a small space heater in my basement with great results. I plug it into a Thermo Cube thermostat ( on at 34*, off at 40* ) and let it do its thing.
    If you aren't in trouble or causing no trouble, you aren't having any fun!! And I am having a blast!!!
    How about you??
    2014 Ram, 3500, Laramie, Crew Cab, 4 X 4, DRW, Stock 6.7, Aisin, 3.73, Lights & Siren
    "Classic" 06 Landmark Mt. Rushmore, Mor-Ryd, Trail Air Air Pin, and a few improvements

8. Print this Post   #8

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDar View Post
    Figure with the installation labor and the cost of the unit, roughly $1500. A tank of propane runs about $30, give or take. So, it equals about 50 refills of a 30lb tank. This does not take into account if your long-term site has an electric meter and monthly bill associated with it.
    If you take in to account the cost of electricity then you have to do some "figuring".

First for the LP furnace, it is either a 35,000 or a 40,000BTU/hr unit. Our cost for Propane at this Campground is $2.60/gal, so the cost per running hour works out to be:

and the "Cheap Heat" units come in 2 outputs, a 307,260 and a 409,680BTU/day. We are long-term so we DO have to pay for electricity ($0.07/kWh). So for the smaller unit the cost per hour is:

and the larger unit is:

But that is now the whole story, since the rating are different lets look at the output per hour and the electric heaters are only putting out a fraction of the BTUs per hour. So if we take into account the fact the electric heater will have to run longer to output the same BTU the cost of the smaller unit changes to:

and the larger unit is:

So you are really only saving $0.13/Hr, and that means that you would have to run the furnace for 6,773 hours or 282.2 days straight just to recover the cost of the basic kit.

If John's estimate is close the to recover the cost of parts and install, it would take 11,538 hrs or 481 days of continuous use.

I like Westxsrt10's, fan mod a lot more.
    Last edited by 2010augusta; 10-09-2010 at 07:56 PM.
    Alan, Sandy, and 2 Corgis, Molly and Baxter

9. Print this Post   #9

I think the idea of "cheap heat" is for people that don't have to pay for electricity as it is included in the campsite fee. That is the case for us as we always use electric heat (unless dry camping) so we don't have to burn propane. The fire place, AirV heat strip and a space heater usually work pretty good. On a really cold night we might let a dog or two in the bed

John
    John and Charlotte
    2009 Landmark Augusta
    2008 GMC 2500HD Duramax crew cab
    Firestone airbags/ 20K Reese hitch
    6500 watt Onan / 2500 watt inverter / Four 12v batteries in slide out box tray
    3 great kids and 2 German shepherd dogs

10. Print this Post   #10

I would place an electric heater at the furnace inlet air location and let it rip.
    Cost $40.00, payback is very little.
    Barbara and Laurent, Retired teacher and maintenance/engineering,Full Timing
    Mods: Hydraulic selector valves, Queen bed, heavier front closet rod, W/D door swing changed, 2" rear hitch. 2" pin box hitch.Added build in water filter, Replaced HW Tank Fittings. Modified 2 ceiling vents. Relocated shocks to 60deg. 9/16" U-bolts and spring plates.Center 7500 lbs Scissor Stabilizer Jacks. Hawkshead TPMS. Reinforced kitchen sink supports.More supports and longer rails to couch drawer. Modified bedroom steps for storage. Modified landing gear jacks, etc.
    2005 Ford F250 SD, XL F250 4x4, Long Box, 6.0L Diesel, 6 Speed Stick, Use ScangaugeII for Economy, available 60 XGauges and Scanner, Fuel Pressure Gauge, Max Energy by Hypertech set at 85HP for cooling, torque and economy. ELC Coolant and Filter and EGR cooler deleted. 2 added 1300lbs each spring plies, Fuel mileage 21 MPusG empty, 12.6 MPusG pulling the BC. 6.2" din2 touch screen car Radio with DVD, TV, CD,SD,USB, GPS and Rear Cam,

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast