Alternative tires for a 2007 Sundance 2900 RK

Dogs-Life

Hi,

My wife and I just completed a 3-month tour of the Western U.S. and Canada with our 2007 Sundance 2900 RK trailer and would first like to say that the trailer worked great!!! We drove over 10,000 miles with no problems and thoroughly enjoyed the trailer and its capabilities.

However, after a lot of miles on the original set of trailers, I would like to purchase new ones with a higher load capacity. I currently have ST 225/75 R15 tires with a load range of "D". I would like to go to an "LT" tire with a load range of at least "E". I'm having a problem trying to find any tire manufacturer that makes this tire. The best that I can find is a Carlisle 10-ply tire with a load range of "E", but it is still a "ST" 225/75. Is there another size of tire that will fit these rims, or if I need to change rims, what size tires/wheels will fit with the 2007 Sundance. Any help on upgrading the tires and or wheels to a slightly higher load range will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

jimtoo

Hi Dogs-Life,

I moved your post to the tires and wheels area. I think you will get more and better replies in this area.

Jim M

D

Dave Willis

I checked with our purchasing department and they don't know of a 225 "E" rated tire. They said that they have heard that they are coming out with one, but nothing as of yet.

Thanks,

Dogs-Life

Thanks, I hadn't thought of the wheels not being able to take the extra weight and pressures. However, I think if I need to change wheels, I'll probably go with the 16" wheels and get the wider selection of "LT" tires. Do you know if the 16" wheels will fit on the 2007 Sundance? Also, if I'm buying 16" wheels, what size tire would be better for the trailer. That is, should I stay with the LT 225 / 75 R16 or go to maybe a LT 235/75 R16 or something else?

Thanks, for all the replies.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Thanks, I hadn't thought of the wheels not being able to take the extra weight and pressures. However, I think if I need to change wheels, I'll probably go with the 16" wheels and get the wider selection of "LT" tires. Do you know if the 16" wheels will fit on the 2007 Sundance? Also, if I'm buying 16" wheels, what size tire would be better for the trailer. That is, should I stay with the LT 225 / 75 R16 or go to maybe a LT 235/75 R16 or something else?

Thanks, for all the replies.

I bought my 16" wheels from this guy http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/15-A...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item588a5535fb ($80+$20 shipping) You want Zero offset, 16" x6", I have E rated Maxxis 235-80 tires mounted on them and are 31" tall- 2 1/2" taller than stock. They are overkill for my Sundance but the ST's are made to be dragged sideways.

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
If you change to 16" wheels be careful of the diameter of the tires as I found out that there is not a lot of clearence between them. I started out wanting Michelin but they were larger in diameter and would touch. I then looked at Goodyear G614's but they required 110PSI, I ended up with Maxxis as they were the same in diameter and PSI as my unicorns that came with the RV. I have been well satisfied with them. My rig came with 16" and I didn't have to purchase wheels.

jnbhobe

If you go to 16" there are lots and lots of tires out there in both ST and LT, also there are specs available for all so it easy to match up something for your application. I personally would rather have an LT tire because they are more available, and in 40 yrs I have never had a sidewall problem. There may be some but I haven't seen one.

Dogs-Life

After talking with the local tire dealer, I am leaning toward buying the Maxxis 15" with the load "E" rating. Does anyone know how to tell if the wheel can take the additional pressure and weight? Is this marked on the wheel somewhere? The local tire dealer did not have a clue as to how to tell the wheel ratings.

Again thanks to everyone for the help.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
After talking with the local tire dealer, I am leaning toward buying the Maxxis 15" with the load "E" rating. Does anyone know how to tell if the wheel can take the additional pressure and weight? Is this marked on the wheel somewhere? The local tire dealer did not have a clue as to how to tell the wheel ratings.

Again thanks to everyone for the help.

The rating is stamped on the inter exposed dish outside of the wheel.

Dogs-Life

Thanks! I'll have to check this on my next trip out to the trailer. We have it stored several miles from our home, but I'll be heading out soon.

Again, thanks to all for the helpful information.

TireHobby

Hi,

My wife and I just completed a 3-month tour of the Western U.S. and Canada with our 2007 Sundance 2900 RK trailer and would first like to say that the trailer worked great!!! We drove over 10,000 miles with no problems and thoroughly enjoyed the trailer and its capabilities.

However, after a lot of miles on the original set of trailers, I would like to purchase new ones with a higher load capacity. I currently have ST 225/75 R15 tires with a load range of "D". I would like to go to an "LT" tire with a load range of at least "E". I'm having a problem trying to find any tire manufacturer that makes this tire. The best that I can find is a Carlisle 10-ply tire with a load range of "E", but it is still a "ST" 225/75. Is there another size of tire that will fit these rims, or if I need to change rims, what size tires/wheels will fit with the 2007 Sundance. Any help on upgrading the tires and or wheels to a slightly higher load range will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sorry, I don’t think you will be able to find a 15” Light Truck/Commercial tire that will give you a load capacity above what you already have. However, Maxxis - a tire manufacturer with above average reviews - has in their inventory a ST225/75R15 LRE tire that will give you a load capacity of 2830# at 80 psi. Its diameter is 28.3”. You’ll have to check the pressure rating on your current wheels before making a decision to upgrade to the LRE that requires 80 psi to achieve maximum tire load capacity.

TireHobby

grizzlygiant

I have G614's on 16" wheels on my Sundance. I've made four round trips across the USA without incident. I run 100psi