Need advice on tire inflator

wyleyrabbit

Hi everyone,

I need to get myself a new tire inflator. The one I had was a Bon Aire digital unit I had purchased at Costco a while back. The thing I liked about it was that it handled the higher PSI of my trailer's tires and my truck's tires. The thing I loved about it was I could set a specific pressure and it would inflate to that point, and then stop. Sadly, I broke it beyond repair.

I would love to get one that handles the higgher pressures easily, but also has the digital guage/shutoff.*

I've had a few inflators over the years, and sadly so many manufacturers either lie about the specs or don't publish any at all.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Cheers,
Chris

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Chris, I had a Black & Decker inflater and although is was not digital it did have a guage and auto shut off when it reached the preset PSI. It worked good till it died after three years. It was about 50 bucks US.
I now have a cheaper store brand model without auto shutoff. It will inflate any tire I own. It was 10 bucks.
Now if you want to spend more bucks and get a better one Viair should have one to suit your needs.
Or check a bunch on Ebay.

Peace
Dave

caissiel

I have this one I bought at WallyWorld. it has its own little carrying bag and its a heavy duty unit.
It has a warning about heat, but I filled my trailer and truck tires and it never heated that much.

The analog Gauge is off a bit but I checked the proper Air Pressure required with my Digital Gauge and Just pump up to the equated pressure on the gauge.
Example I found that 95PSI on the gauge is same as 110 PSI on my digital gauge.
I placed a weatherproof 12volt Plug by the wheel and connected the line on a 30Amp Fuse at the battery.
The compressor plug has a 15Amp fuse to protect the compressor. I found that it works great when the compressor is started and then screw it on the valve stem so not to loose any air from the tire while screwing the hose on the stem.

I looked at heavier duty unit but found that I needed a much bigger plug to operate, the truck ligther plug is capable to operate this unit quit well. So it makes it much more portable.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Masterflow-12v-Portable-Air-Compressor-Inflator-with-LED-Light/12321235

Rocky

I recently purchased the Black & Decker ASI300 Air Station for about $50 (see link below) and it is very slow going at higher pressures. I topped off my truck tires and was disappointed in the time it took. If I hadn't ordered it online, I may have taken it back, but I don't know what would have been any better. I have a smaller version that is over 15 years old and it was also very slow at higher pressures, so maybe that is just the nature of these things. Specs say it will go to 160 psi and it has auto shutoff but the gauge is analog. I would not necessarily recommend this unit but it will do the job if a gas station is not an option.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IE0YIQ/ref=oss_product