Slide or Not to Slide

KJR

I'm looking at the 180 vs 181 with slide. I've never owned a TT.

While a slide gives you extra interior room what are the maintenance issues with slides.

When the trailer is level for camping does water run off the slide roof easily without it seeping into the interior? I would imagine you would need to clean off the slide roof every time you needs to retract the slide.

How long do the seals last? Are they easily replaceable?

If the slide won't retract/extend is their a manual method?

Kelvin

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
KJR, as long as the slide out is correctly adjusted you will be fine and have no issues and minimal maintenance.
Water will run off but if you are in an area with lots of trees, falling leaves, pine needles, acorns and the like, you may get some debris on the slide roof. They offer an automatic roller cover for this to help keep this junk off the slide roof. OR you can have a small step stool and a broom and clean it off before retracting.
The seals life is unlimited if you keep them soft by using a protective spray like 303.
Yes, there is a manual method to retract the slide. Usually it's a crank below the room. You will get a handle with the RV and the dealer should show you how to use it. Go for the slide out version, you won't regret it.

brains77396

We have what is now the 183. Believe when you are told the slide is the only way to go. Without the slide you will be forced to go outside just to change your mind. With our slide in, we can hardly get the bathroom door open. I read somewhere that the slide gives you 25% more usable area. When working with about 105 sq ft ever inch helps. That 105 sq ft total. The room taken up by the bath, fridge, cabinets, bed, table has to be subtracted from that. BTW, we are located in Humble TX, just north of Houston.

I'm looking at the 180 vs 181 with slide. I've never owned a TT.

While a slide gives you extra interior room what are the maintenance issues with slides.

When the trailer is level for camping does water run off the slide roof easily without it seeping into the interior? I would imagine you would need to clean off the slide roof every time you needs to retract the slide.

How long do the seals last? Are they easily replaceable?

If the slide won't retract/extend is their a manual method?

Kelvin

MPG185-GA

We have the model 185 and would not have even looked at the MPG's if there was no slide. It is just amazing how it opens up the space. I think these slides make a more dramatic impact on the smaller trailers. Slide or not to slide? I choose to slide.

dixdaman

When we decided to buy an MPG we had two basic needs. We wanted it as light as we could get it and a full time Queen bed. We went with the 180.
We thought about a slide and then because of our criteria and camping style we rationalized that for us the slide added about 300 Lbs and we do not spend a lot of time
in the TT when we are camping. We added the dome shelter. I know it might be a bit cramped but it will also be a good test on a 42 year marriage. <grin>
Since we did not get the MPG until late fall, we have not had a chance to use it so the jury is still out on whether we made the right decision. I think it really depends on your camping habits, we don't watch a lot of TV, we enjoy sitting out and we are hoping the dome will be the better choice for us.
I will try to remember to give a followup to this thread after we have a few trips this summer.
Merry Christmas all.

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders
I would go with a slide. you won't regret it.
slide toppers are a personal issue. I don't have them on my bighorn. some people say they make a lot of noise when the wind blows. personally I don't mind getting on top and sweeping them off as it gives me a chance to check the roof and whatever else that needs to be checked.

irvin56

I've had trailers for 30 + yrs with no slide. This is the first trailer with one. I WILL never own another trailer WITHOUT a slide.
makes a huge difference. for the extra weight is worth it in my opinion. Mine only open 16 inch but is 16 feet long. opens up the trailer living space a lot.

Trailer_Joe

This really helped me decide to go with the slide. I was looking at the weight as well. But it seems the pluses way out weigh (good one huh) the minuses.......

Bwk2000

Enjoying the good life!
This really helped me decide to go with the slide. I was looking at the weight as well. But it seems the pluses way out weigh (good one huh) the minuses.......

You won't be disappointed with your decision ... The difference in usable space was the selling point for me with the MPG 183

kb0zke

The slide on our 181 is a big plus. The 180 and 181 are basically the same trailer, but with the addition of the slide. There is a bit more space behind the sink on the 181, but then you get a hose for a drain instead of a solid pipe. With the slide closed we can still get into the bathroom, although it is more difficult.

On a larger coach, though, my thinking is different. We're seriously looking at a motor home for our full-time retirement coach, and we've eliminated coaches with slides. The reason is that there is a big difference in floor space in a 19' mpg and a 40' widebody motor home. The mpg has a floor of approximately 6' x 13' which is 78 square feet. The slide effectively adds about 10 square feet to that. The MH is approximately 8.5' x 40' which is 340 square feet, nearly four times as big.