Small car in garage

porthole

Retired
Dave, How do you like the trial air. Don't care for mine and it is coming off when the new truck gets a new hitch.

DW_Gray

Dave, How do you like the trial air. Don't care for mine and it is coming off when the new truck gets a new hitch.

I haven't towed mine that much since the installation. But for the amount that I have towed it, I noticed some difference. My wife said she could feel the improvement right away. The Tri Glide does works. When stopping, it doesn't feel like the Cyclone wants to yank the truck. One thing I learned after the Tri Glide installation was to increase the air pressure in the Firestone Air Bags to about 60 psi. The truck ride improved a lot with the increased air in the Firestone bags. When I get back to my travels I'll be able to confirm my initial opinion and I'll post my report.

DW_Gray

Here's an update: I just returned from trip totaling 444 miles. I have to say the Trial Air performed very well. But I have to mention I just installed 6 new Michelin tires too.

I have one strong caution though. Especially for heavy RVs with single motor electric landing gear. Since the Trail Air pin hangs much lower than the standard pin box, you have to rise the nose much higher to connect with the 5th wheel. For me, it's a pain in the ***. It takes me anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes to raise my Cyclone to the height of the 5th wheel. I'll be so glad when I can install hydraulic landing gear.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I hate to steer away from the original topic but what don't you like about the trail air? Does it have the tri glide jaw? I agree with Dave about the overall size of the monster but I sure do like the way it works.
For us, since we have the Mor-ryde IS, Our rig is a bit taller than average so the amount we need to lift the nose isn't that severe.

porthole

Retired
I hate to steer away from the original topic but what don't you like about the trail air? Does it have the tri glide jaw? I agree with Dave about the overall size of the monster but I sure do like the way it works.
For us, since we have the Mor-ryde IS, Our rig is a bit taller than average so the amount we need to lift the nose isn't that severe.

Ray,

Yes, it is the Tri GLide. The hitch worked great with my trailer and no toys in teh garage. Trailer loaded up and I think the weight was more thene the "tri G;lide" portion was OK with.
I felt it banged and bumped a lot when loaded. This might have been exaggerated with the super glide hitch.

Either way, I think the 18K rating may be a little too high. I believe this hitch works great in the up to 16K range.

The air ride portion worked great all the time, I had no issues with that.

I have a new Trailer Saver sitting in the shop (air ride hitch), so the Trail Air pin box is coming back off. I still have the Mor Ryde, so I may put the on or maybe try the original pin box and see how that feels with the air ride.

BTW, we also have the M/R IS