MPG 181 design ideas from new owner.

bigTdrop

We took our maiden voyage to the central California coast last week to a favorite old haunt on the beach...we throughly enjoyed our cool little TT. Had a few minor issues but all in all, it was a great time. We got some rain one evening and were sooo happy to be inside after all our years of tent camping. The drain is a bit low for an outside tank, but that's easily remedied. We didn't like the way the table doesn't go up against the wall in the dinette, but I fixed that today...mounted an alum. L channel on the wall. The table edge now rests on that and is held in place by a drop though in. We're going to have a local shop make a storage cover for it next week. Then it's time to give some thought to adding jacks to the front and also an awning.
Next trip in two weeks... a long weekend to a spot north of Malibu.

brains77396

Please keep us updated on the awning process. I think the shape of the MPG hinders the awning placement more than anything else. A reach up, pull it down, you have instant shade, has to be a better seller than putting up a tent. A lot would depend on whether you are traveling or just setting somewhere for several days. Then again, we could be greedy and ask for both.:cool:

We took our maiden voyage to the central California coast last week to a favorite old haunt on the beach...we throughly enjoyed our cool little TT. Had a few minor issues but all in all, it was a great time. We got some rain one evening and were sooo happy to be inside after all our years of tent camping. The drain is a bit low for an outside tank, but that's easily remedied. We didn't like the way the table doesn't go up against the wall in the dinette, but I fixed that today...mounted an alum. L channel on the wall. The table edge now rests on that and is held in place by a drop though in. We're going to have a local shop make a storage cover for it next week. Then it's time to give some thought to adding jacks to the front and also an awning.
Next trip in two weeks... a long weekend to a spot north of Malibu.

btdt

We just purchased a 181 also and have found the same problem with the dinette table when trying to convert it to a bed. Could you please be more specific as to how you resolved this problem. Maybe you could possibly send the solution to Heartland, since they claim there is no problem. I have been instructed to take pictures of the problem and send to them. Thank you.

bigTdrop

We just purchased a 181 also and have found the same problem with the dinette table when trying to convert it to a bed. Could you please be more specific as to how you resolved this problem. Maybe you could possibly send the solution to Heartland, since they claim there is no problem. I have been instructed to take pictures of the problem and send to them. Thank you.

Sorry for the late response. We don't use the dinette for a bed, so the table stay's up except when traveling. In the up position, the inside (wall side) table leg stay's folded up with the table edge resting on the L channel that I mounted to the wall. This way, there is no longer a gap between the inside table edge and the wall. There is no gap between the table edge & wall when it's in the down position, so maybe I'm misunderstanding your problem?

bigTdrop

Please keep us updated on the awning process. I think the shape of the MPG hinders the awning placement more than anything else. A reach up, pull it down, you have instant shade, has to be a better seller than putting up a tent. A lot would depend on whether you are traveling or just setting somewhere for several days. Then again, we could be greedy and ask for both.:cool:

Yeah...I agree..there's not a great deal of room for an awning. The tent arrangement they offer is nice, but way too expensive for my budget and it looks like a hassle to set it up. I haven't done any real diligence on the awning yet but it's definitely the direction I want to go. I do know that there are some small awnings available out there...something like one would see on a van. Then of course, one could simply use an EZ UP.

kb0zke

How about moving the exterior light to the other side of the door? With the light on the hinge side of the door, the step is in shadow when the door is opened. Going from a well-lighted camper out into the dark can be "interesting."

LeslieLB

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this! I am tempted to see if our local camper dealer can add another porch light, tied in to the same switch... & have 2...

How about moving the exterior light to the other side of the door? With the light on the hinge side of the door, the step is in shadow when the door is opened. Going from a well-lighted camper out into the dark can be "interesting."

EBenoit

We recently purchased a 183 and the dome canopy option was included by the dealer. We used it 3 times and love it. We leave the front off. It is a 2 person operation to put up and the instructions are not very good.

mlo166

You guys are right about the design of the "porch" lite. I believe if the designers had spent the night in the MPG, a LOT of other changes would have been changed from their prototype. I use a stick-on LED push-on-off at the door handle (about $8 at any local hardware mall or auto parts place).

mlo166

Wife suggestd I post our modifications: Dog house: We use the 'through' space under the bunk bed to store our dog. I cut out a square hole on the interrior wall and placed a grill. Our dog can see us inside, enjoy the air-conditioning, and not be a bother when we are asleep and dog is out of the way! Closet: We removed the shelves and installed a hangar-pole at the top for hanging our clothes. Table: we took out the back seat cushion and moved the table further towards the front interrior wall, using a riser to keep table stable. This allowed more room to manuever in the kitchen area for the two of us! Furnace: we installed a modern furnace controller module to control the furnace fan from continuously running when out of gas. Lighting: we installed LED bulbs and battery-powered stick-ons for additional lighting, i.e. water closet, outside step lighting, etc. (it doesn't use as much 12v when at a non-service facility). STOVE TOP: We designed a large over-lay board (from pergo wood flooring slats) to place on top of the burner eyes to provide more counter space when not using stove top.
Dog house: camper iiii.jpg (needs rotating for better viewing) Dog can come in and out from outside storage door too! We split the top bunk 'bed' to provide sitting area on the lower bunk and more head room when only one is sleeping here. A dremel and some wood trim dressed off the modification. We use the top bunk right "other half" for storage (we keep the long foam bed cushion at home if not sleeping on it). A baby-rail has lots of uses in this area! (securing loads stored on bunk beds, keeping animals at bay, children at bay, and as an additional shelf for linen (used sideways!)

All this to say that the MPG has been the MOST VERSATILE camper that I have ever experienced! And, it's okay and FUN to modify your MPG for your personal style! Let us know here!