fireplace bulb replacement

TedS

How do I remove the fireplace in order to replace the light bulbs?
Dimplex instructions simply say "Slide fireplace out of mantel."
Heartland has added exterior trim aroung the fireplace that does not allow simply sliding the fireplace out.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Ted and Jean, I recently removed the FP in my BH. You will need to remove the trim work around the FP. Use a small pry bar made for use on woodwork. It will have a thin wide blade. Put a piece of thin cardboard under the pry bar. Then look for the wire nails that hold the trim on and work your way around the trim a little at a time. Takes just a few minutes. Once the trim is off, there are four screw holding the FP in. Two on each side. One near the top and one near the bottom.
Now you can slide the fireplace out. While you are in there, you might want to clean the glass, which is why I removed ours in the first place.

Peace
Dave

TedS

Dave, thanks for the reply. Kind of what I expected. The trim is not screwed on from the front for convenient access for normal maintenance, but nailed on from the back.
How did you reattach the trim?

jnbhobe

Dave just had his out and it is a 2011. My 09 has 4 wooden plugs you have to pry out then unscrew the trim. Then you take out the 4 screws holding the fireplace in

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Dave, thanks for the reply. Kind of what I expected. The trim is not screwed on from the front for convenient access for normal maintenance, but nailed on from the back.
How did you reattach the trim?
The trim is nailed on from the front. Careful is key when removing it. I reattached it using a small brad nailer.
One other thing that I discovered when removing it was that the nails pulled out of the trim and stayed in the cabinet. Those nails would not pull out. Just take a pliers and bend back and forth, they will just break off.

Peace
Dave

K

karykatz

Everyone should have a brad nailer. Thanks to everyone for thier input.

Willym

That's my kind of thinking. Can never have too many tools. However, I'd be inclined to replace the trim with some trim screws (painted, brass or some with coloured covers), which will make for easier bulb replacement in future.

Dave, thanks
Now I have justification to get a brad nailer.

TedS

I was thinking I would change the trim opening so the fireplace can be pulled out without removing the trim.

jbeletti

Hi Ted,

Do as you wish of course, but it's my sense is the fireplace bulb will last a very long time. As such, I'd suggest leaving the fireplace trim as-is, as you will likely never to rarely ever have to pull it out.

Yes to the brad nailer! A great RV owner tool. I bought an air-powered one with my first 5th wheel in order to reattach the slide fascia we ripped off as we weren't careful to notice a sleeping bag bounced off a recliner, then got wedged between the wall and the vertical slide fascia when opening the slide. Oops. Lowes here we come! I have used the brad nailer a lot in and around the home on small wood projects. Brad nails and Gorilla glue - an excellent pairing :)

Jim

TedS

Jim,
I may eventually remove and reinstall the trim because it was installed off-square to begin with. It is one of those items that I notice as I relax in the livingroom.

Thank you everyone for your replies.

Willym

On every LM that I have seen, the hinged access plate for the fire controls will not open fully because the lower trim piece is too high. If I take mine off, I shall modify it. Nailing the pieces back on would likely jinx me and cause the bulb to fail again!