Onan Generator

mountain1

I love my built in Onan generator but fear I am over using when I run it a lot on dog show weekends camping dry, sometimes about 20 hours a day. What is a good number of total hours to expect? I have a little over 425 change the oil regularly and check the air filter often.

Does anyone have a lot of hours on a generator I can compare?

Northern Virginia
I think you are doing what it is designed to do. Don't beat yourself up that you are getting your monies worth out of your Onan.

If you do the regular service (oil+oil filter, air filter etc.) I think you will get a long life out of her.

In my opinion, the people that have the most problems are the ones that don't use their generator enough. I put almost a 100 hours on mine in a year with a lot of that under full load.

As a side note, after running it make sure you remove the load and let it cool down before you shut it down and avoid shutdown under load (hard on the voltage regulator)

John

hoefler

Your generator will actually become more fuel efficient and the voltage will be more stable with use. I would be afraid of a generator that is 10 years old with a 100 hours on it and looks like new. I would prefer a generator with a 100 hours in 2 years with proper maintenance.