Rear window awnings

MC9

I am thinking about installing a window awning on the rear of our Sundance. It faces S. on the site. We have to keep the night shades drawn for some relief. I miss the view. Anyone else have window awnings?

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We did not install an awning on our BC becuz of the way the ladder sits on the back of the coach but I have seen snap screen installed. I haven't asked where they got it from but it looks like the owners can see out from inside the rigs but also the screen block the sunlight. It's a pretty good idea.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have been looking around about getting the Carefree Sun Screen put on. The Sun Screen mounts on the outside and pulls down like a window shade. You can see out from the inside with it down. What has stopped us from getting it is the location of the ladder. It is mounted so close to the window I think we will not be able to get the Sun Screen and will have to go with the snap on type. You can also see through the snap on type.

jmgratz

I think that might work but it is a solution that stays on the window and cannot be taken off if it is a pleasant day and you want to let the light in.

noobee

My concern regarding an awning would be with the amount of turbulence back there when traveling. Would the awning stay attached?

CS

Wharton

We just put on window tinting from Gila. We aren't facing south yet(will when we stay in Phoenix) so I don't know how it will work. 18 years ago we had a house that the front windows(lots of windows) faced west into the setting sun. It was hot111 I put on the tint and though still warm, wasn't hot and the intense sun had been stopped. I think this will work well.

I am also thinking about switching to blinds for that window, getting the shade up and down is difficult.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We have the Gila film on several windows and it works well for heat reflection. We have also installed wood blinds on the rear window and slide windows. A couple pictures of the rear window film are attached showing the difference between film & no film. The picture of the window has film on the top and none on the bottom.

Attachments

• Window Film.jpg
    Window Film.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 97
  • Rear Window Blinds.jpg
    Rear Window Blinds.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 100

Ray LeTourneau

Ray, I really like the blinds you put in. Where did you get them and what brand are they?
From Home Depot. Bali Wood Collection 1-3/8" slats. Color is Honey Oak. Special order cost was $230 on sale. Seems like a lot of money but the operation is so much easier than day/night shades.

Ray LeTourneau

Why didn't you put film on the bottom? We did and didn't have any problems.
We did do the bottom half. I took the picture just to be able to show folks the difference between the two. We did 2 other windows in the LR area and we did the bedrooom with dark limo tint. Makes it nice and dark up there.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
From Home Depot. Bali Wood Collection 1-3/8" slats. Color is Honey Oak. Special order cost was $230 on sale. Seems like a lot of money but the operation is so much easier than day/night shades.

Thanks Ray, they did not look like 2" blinds. Not quite as bulky looking. Nice scale for the trailer.

MC9

After all the posts and pics, it looks like we are going film shopping. Like the blinds Ray, but I am afraid they would make my factory chairs look too shabby and I would be forced to upgrade.

MC9

Update: Went film shopping at Lowes. Bought the Gila "Platinum". Removed a couple of the valances to facilitate installation. Followed the instructions and finished the job. Results: We can now sit in the rear as the AZ sun shines in. Couldn't sit there before. Happy Camper.

RoadJunkie

Great choice, Jim. Looks like those will work just fine. Is your plan to remove the shade when traveling?

jmgratz

Great choice, Jim. Looks like those will work just fine. Is your plan to remove the shade when traveling?

Yes I will remove it when traveling. Here at the campground where we are there is a Mobile Suites 5er that has them on all of the windows. It looks good. So I think that is what we are going to do. Only just on the rear window.

Gizzy

Jim,
I've been been looking over the Lowes web site to try and learn more about this EZSnap screen. Looks like it would be just the thing we are looking for but i can't find any info on it.
How much did it cost you to cover your rear window?

Jerry