External Propane connection?

funntheson

We have a 3585RL on order. We were wondering if these units have an external connection (like a quick disconnect) for propane anywhere on the exterior of the unit, that could be used to hook up a coleman stove or other device.

Rrloren

If it does it will likely be regulated so if what your connecting to has a regulator it won't work. Need to setup so that the propane is only regulated once.

exdwarfer

We also have a Big Horn on order! I asked the dealer about a quick-connect propane tap and he said he could add one at a nominal charge! So I would guess that they are not "standard" equipment.

Good luck with your new rig! We are certainly looking forward to picking up ours! Will have to "camp-out" in the driveway just to see how great it sleeps!

John & Dianna

KL7j

We have a 3585RL on order. We were wondering if these units have an external connection (like a quick disconnect) for propane anywhere on the exterior of the unit, that could be used to hook up a coleman stove or other device.

I did not want to have to carry propane in the basement or extra tanks but many do and have larger barbeques that are quite nice. It really is a trade off in what you want to store/weight and costs.

Two ways to supply a Barbeque from the RV.

1). High pressure from the tank to the Barbeque regulator before the RV regulator. There are "Y's" available even at Cabelas that you put between tank and regulator, and run a hose to nearby barbeque.

2). Low pressure, that is after the RV regulator. These are the fast disconnect brass outlets you see on the underside of the RV's.

If you go with the low pressure use, you need a low pressure barbeque, not one that uses propane from those small bottles or direct from a regular propane tank and on through the barbeque regulator. The advantage of low pressure is you can have it handy neaby for cooking and not supplied near the RV tanks.

I have found a barbeque that uses both high or low pressure. It has an adaptor with regulator for high pressure supplies including those small bottles. Makes it handy for gas off the RV quick disconnect or using a smalle bottle or small portable traditional propane tank on a distant picnic table. It is decent size but not the luxury of the larger heavier units that use high pressure supply.

Since my 2011 Bighorn did not come with the ordering choice, I had the dealer at delivery put the quick disconnect using a Tee on the black pipe low pressure to the oven. That pipe can carry enough volume easily for that distance. So one can use the RV propane high pressure tanks direct or portable little bottles; or low pressure from the quick disconnect located near the edge of the awning and using the hose places the barbeque not under the awning.

I use a barbeque called a Sidekick. They can attach to the side of the RV or else the same stand can be used as a free standing pedestal to hold the barbeque like a table anywhere. They are for sale in various RV stores or off Ebay. Here is a current EBay listing of a new one. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RV-M...5fRVQ5fTrailerQ5fCamperQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Last edited:

jbeletti

I use the Stay-a-While item below by Mr. Heater. Got it at Camping World. Connects to one of my RV propane tanks and allows me to tap the high-pressure side to feed my Weber Q. There is a cap on the grill tap side. I disconnect my grill hose when I break camp and put the cap on the tap and I am good to go. So the device stays installed and ready to use. It comes with a 5' hose. I use a 12' hose instead as 5' is not really a usable length.

30340.jpg

clark261

The first step is to locate and purchase a Propane-T, which is a pipe fixture that will allow you to connect your RV’s onboard propane regulator to an external propane tank. Once you have purchased this part, you just need to screw this into your regulator port.

The other port of the Propane-T is where you can connect the heavy-duty rubber hose that will connect to the propane tank. You can just directly connect the rubber hose and use a small belt clamp to secure it in place or you can get a quick connect kit so it will be easier to install and remove when needed.

Et1958

The first step is to locate and purchase a Propane-T, which is a pipe fixture that will allow you to connect your RV’s onboard propane regulator to an external propane tank. Once you have purchased this part, you just need to screw this into your regulator port.

The other port of the Propane-T is where you can connect the heavy-duty rubber hose that will connect to the propane tank. You can just directly connect the rubber hose and use a small belt clamp to secure it in place or you can get a quick connect kit so it will be easier to install and remove when needed.
You are responding to a post that is 10 years old.