California Air Resources Board - Smog testing Diesel pick ups

flamingknitter

I just discovered that California is now requiring smog tests on our one ton trucks. Anyone out there have any info about this? Or any experience having your truck smog tested?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

LilGTO71

It's really only a visual. What they're looking for is extreme exhaust systems that have removed the catalytic or chips added. Just took mine down also. Mine is a 3/4 T so it's not just 1 ton.

wdk450

Marybeth:
I got my 06 Dodge Cummins done here in Sacramento in August. I was sweating it because when I originally bought it, an aftermarket accessory installer said that the catalytic convertor had been removed. Sweating this before the test, I called Swift Dodge's parts department in Davis with the VIN number. They checked and told me this truck, originally sold in Arizona, did not come with a convertor from the factory.
The test was a breeze, as stated before - mainly a visual test for smoke, although I thought it WAS connected to the test machine for a while. Probably to automatically transmit the results to the CARB and the DMV.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Marybeth, yes you will have to smog your 1tn. When I bought the 07 Chevy last Febuary, It had to have the smog test. Sorry dear, but it is registered in Montana now....SO...no more smogs for me.

reverts

Hi Marybeth,

We had to have our 3/4 ton done and as everyone is saying it was just a visual test.

caokgafamily

Other than my family, friends and beautiful places, I miss nothing else about my home state.
I'm sure now Mr.Brown will fix the states problems. Ha Ha
Steve

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Other than my family, friends and beautiful places, I miss nothing else about my home state.
I'm sure now Mr.Brown will fix the states problems. Ha Ha
Steve
Same here, born and raised in So Cal for 50 years..I will not go back except to visit my family. Texas is no haven either but there is no smog testing and low auto license fees. I think Jerry Brown will improve the state as he did in the past.

wazz_zup

I don't think you have anything to worry about Marybeth. Except losing part of your Saturday morning and $61. It is basically three things they do.
1. Visual inspction. I have gauges installed but no chip or programming. Also I added a Pac-brake exhaust brake...no problem.
2. OBD II test. Onboard diagnostic test. Making sure nobody has gone in and cleared stuff like high rpm, max hp, etc.
3. A snap test. They stand back and watch the exhaust. Any smoke has to be gone/clear within 3 seconds. Mine barely past this....cleared in 2 seconds and change.

Uncle Rog

My registration is up in Dec, lucky me.
When "Governor Moonbeam" takes over in Jan he will do all possible to make things as difficult as possible for us diesel folks.
The "opacity" test was originally for comercial trucks only.
The BAR lobby got the legislature to require the test, $%^@#$.

sdrubrecht

I have an 03 duramax with an aftermarket air cleaner (AFE). Does anyone know if I have to return to stock? The original filter and box are long gone, but the ducting to the manifold with all sensors is still intact. Looks like I might be junkyard bound, lucky us in Kalifornia.

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
Here in Tennessee in some counties we have to have our trucks checked 1 time a year when renewing our tags. They check it on a computer. No check then no tag. They go by weight and unfortunately 2/3 ton fall into that catagory. It is only $10.00 but it us a pain. When wife retires next year I am gonna register it somewhere else.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have an "06 Cummins with some aftermarket stuff that supposedly is CARB approved. Guess I'll find out next year.
I spoke to a guy who had the test. He said they didn't even do the up the tailpipe sniffer.
He also said the guy didn't even know what he was looking at,or for.
In California it's seems to be just about the money they get from more fees.