How do I bring back the shine?

caokgafamily

I just spent the whole weekend detailing,cleaning and maintenance on my 07 3400RL. I'm pretty impressed with how well it still looks and that everything is still in good working order. We still get out atleast once a month. I know its alot of work but is there a easier way to bring out the shine other than waxing the exterior. Its seems the front and rear cap just look kinda dull, flat white.

Thanks for the input.

Steve

mikeandconnie

Steve,
Oxidation should be your problem with the flat white;;; You Tube> rv oxidation, paint oxidation, This will have some great training information and many suggested products.
Mike
Rome, Ga

caokgafamily

Hey guys thanks for the input, I guess I need to get off the computer and get out the ladder.

Hey Jellystone nice Club Car, I have a 03 CC. Camping is alot better with a golf cart. I have double towed twice taking the golf cart with us. I can see the advantage of having a toy hauler sometimes.
Steve

archbarb

Kinda on the same subject, I was told by a service tech at RV Capital Service Center in Elkhart, IN., that if you keep a good coat of Rain X on the front cap once cleaned and waxed, it greatly reduces the elbow grease on removing bugs and other splatter!

Don't know if it works, haven't tried it yet, but plan to.

Archie

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Kinda on the same subject, I was told by a service tech at RV Capital Service Center in Elkhart, IN., that if you keep a good coat of Rain X on the front cap once cleaned and waxed, it greatly reduces the elbow grease on removing bugs and other splatter!

Don't know if it works, haven't tried it yet, but plan to.

Different product, same company, but I can tell you it does work! It works really well! I usually put three coats on the front cap of the 5th and on the fairing of my bike.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I have the same problem with our rig. Front & rear caps are the hard part to keep shiny. Once we get to the RGV in a few weeks I hope to find the local RV wash & wax service and have them git r dun. If not, I'll be on the ladder as well.:(:(

boatdoc

There's a couple of threads going on on some other RV forums about a product called RedMax Pro #3. Seems it's a floor POLISH to be had a Lowes, boo #48, and it's really working well. I can't do the link thingy but just google it up and look for the RV threads. There are plenty of before and after pics and it it's like night and day seeing what this stuff does. From what I read there are no probs with decals or yellowing.

mikeandconnie

I also use Rejex on my rv and we use it at work on aircraft, it's good for 6 month to protect from the UVs from the sun. I normal do the front evey few months and before trips. We haul only at night and always have mega bugs, but they just wipe off with soap and water. I get a beatiful shine with Rejex, but I have no luck removing bad oxidation with it. I normal polish this off by hand. Doing small section at a time will give you better results. I try not to polish too much because of the clear coat.

I use Rain X on my truck , works great for keeping the bugs off.

PUG

Pug
Oxidation happens on RV paint and gelcoat just like on autos and boats. On my sailboat on the gelcoat (no decals) if I have a bad scratch I lightly sand with first 400 grit wet and dry, next 2000 grit wet and dry, (careful don't go to far), next I use Maguires Medium Cut cleaner, then Maguires fine cut cleaner. These agents will remove scratches and polish out gel coat repairs. After that a good coat of carnuba wax. Body shops will use a fine cut cleaner polishing out the gloss and then wax.

gpshemi

Woo...I wouldn't go sanding on it at all. Fine cut cleaners fine, but I'm not sure the thickness of gelcoat (if it even is that) on a front cap is anything like the gelcoat on a boat. YMMV though I admit.

The RedMax Pro #3 is a Heavy Duty degreaser cleaner. Perhaps you mean their Low Maintenance Floor Finish?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_216599-531-RMPFIN5G_0__?productId=3077759&Ntt=redmax&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dredmax%26page%3D2

I read some time ago, and I think even talked about it here, about some old timers using "Future floor polish" on their rigs. I have yet to try it, but it doesn't surprise me at all really to hear you say that. I'm due for waxing anyway. Maybe I'll google that.

caokgafamily

We are heading out Wens afternoon to a local lake 20 miles from home. I've got to run the kids to school Fri AM. I stowed the ladder inside the BH, I guess I'll spend my time Friday waxing, it beats any day at work. As long as I get off the ladder by beerthirty everything hopefully will be shining. I doubt anybody will notice but I can take the pride in knowing I did it.
Steve

Northern Virginia
Don't use Turtle Wax. It is a PITA to rub off after about, uh, 20 seconds (don't ask me how I know) Meguires gave my Landmark a great shine and was user friendly (I also bought an el cheapo buffer at Costco) and it stayed a lot cleaner looking throughout the year.

I spend an entire weekend washing and hand waxing every spring. It's a lot of work but our camper looks new all season long. Well worth the effort. Last spring my 2 and 4 year old were "helping" me. The sad part is when they are actually old enough to really help, they won't want anything to do with waxing the family camper. Guess I should appreciate their "help" now :)

Who woulda thought waxed tires actually look pretty good.

John

Jellystone

Hey Jellystone nice Club Car, I have a 03 CC. Camping is alot better with a golf cart. I have double towed twice taking the golf cart with us. I can see the advantage of having a toy hauler sometimes.
Steve
Steve, yes, we are a golf cart camping family also. As a matter of fact, we will not camp anywhere that does not allow them unless we are just spending the night in route to a golf cart friendly campground. This winter i'm bringing it in to a cart shop to get the seats recovered,new canopy top, and get a custom LSU TIGER's paint scheme done for my Beautiful Wife's Christmas present. The golf cart is her's, she just allows me to drive her, the kids, and the dog around in it. :D

PUG

Pug
If you have oxidation just regular wax won't remove it. On my RV I use the Meguires medium and fine cut cleaners then
Carnuba wax. Carnuba comes off fine, no harder than the other ones but any good quality wax after you have removed the oxidation works. ON my sailboat I use wet and dry sandpapers as said before on "scratches". The 400, 600, 2000 wet and dry (very wet) will removed the heavier scratches faster than the cleaners I use and then the cleaners to polish out any swirles then wax. I use the same procedure on my 09 Ram and Acura if I get scratches.

Northern Virginia
If you have oxidation just regular wax won't remove it. On my RV I use the Meguires medium and fine cut cleaners then
Carnuba wax. Carnuba comes off fine, no harder than the other ones but any good quality wax after you have removed the oxidation works. ON my sailboat I use wet and dry sandpapers as said before on "scratches". The 400, 600, 2000 wet and dry (very wet) will removed the heavier scratches faster than the cleaners I use and then the cleaners to polish out any swirles then wax. I use the same procedure on my 09 Ram and Acura if I get scratches.

Are you using these sandpaper grits in a random orbit sander on your truck? The clear coat looks good when you're done?

Thanks, John

PUG

Pug
No orbital polisher only hand work. The orbital comes in to polish the wax only. I just took out some scratches on my door on my Ram. Wax wouldn't touch it. Used the med little first then fine cut not necessarily in round strokes.. It polishes it out without going into clear coat and then good wax and presto.