bike rack?

Tweedy

We have just encountered the same dilema having upgraded from a Cardinal with a rear bumpber to a Big Country with a rear cap. Apparently there are racks that fasten to the ladder that will carry 2 bikes. Don't know how sturdy they are but we are going to check them out. I've also seen 5th wheels with bike racks mounted on the front over the pin.

Chuck Tweedy
Alberta Can.

ALF

Former Georgia Chapter Leaders
We have one of the bike racks that mounts off the front hitch and we love it. It works great for carrying 2 bikes. It is made by Top Pop and you can see their website at www.toppoprails.com. The company is out of Canada and the owner is very helpful...great guy!

aatauses

We carry ours (2) on top of the tow vehicle. The rack is made by yakima and we have had no issues with it---also when we just want to ride the truck is already to haul the bikes with no need to move/disconnect something from the rv.
Bought them from rei.
al

davebennington

I have tried a couple of different way to carry bikes on our rig. First attempt was to mount the bikes on the Trail-Air hitch, while this worked OK it had some down sides. To put the bikes on or off the rack you have to be standing on the tailgate of the truck and then move them to the ground. The other negative is the bikes create a wind resistance problem and if you put a cover on the bikes it makes this worst. You do have to purchase a new cover every year because the wind just shreds it.

Now I have a rack mounted on the rear and it so far it works well. I do have to change the mount so the license plate can be seen.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Bob Vaughn

I have tried a couple of different way to carry bikes on our rig. First attempt was to mount the bikes on the Trail-Air hitch, while this worked OK it had some down sides. To put the bikes on or off the rack you have to be standing on the tailgate of the truck and then move them to the ground. The other negative is the bikes create a wind resistance problem and if you put a cover on the bikes it makes this worst. You do have to purchase a new cover every year because the wind just shreds it.

Now I have a rack mounted on the rear and it so far it works well. I do have to change the mount so the license plate can be seen.

Hope this helps.

Dave
You said you have a rack mounted on the rear how did you do that?

davebennington

I purchased thick wall square stock from the local welding shop. It will slide into the square stock that the rear stabilizers are mounted to, they are welded the the frame already. I crossed drilled through both of the square stock material pieces and bolted them together. Then I purchased 2 angle irons and mounted a receiver in the middle. I will take a few pictures tomorrow and post for you.

Dave

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I use the bike rack on the pin box. It may cause a bit of drag but over all I perfer it on the pin box.

If your interested you might read this thread. Bike Rack Thread

FWIW
BC

lcdrdean

We use a bike rack attached to the ladder. Have had no issues in over 5 thousand miles it's been there.

caissiel

Well done Dave, I like your idea by using existing connection. But drilling a hole might be a warranty problem according to Lippert.

davebennington

We have been out of warranty for some time now, however I do not see how drilling this could have any influence on the frame or warranty, but that is for Heartland to decide.

Dave

Bob Vaughn

The thing I find strange is if you look underneath you will see lots and lots of screws that holds up the enclosed belly stuff...wonder why 4 more screws would void the warranty....then again would you fly to the moon on a spacecraft built by the lowest bidder????

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I think the reason the warranty would be void is that Lippert does not know what the user would be using that hitch for. Someone may feel its allright to hang a couple of Harley's on the back or tow a 30' mother inlaw travel trailer behind.
They might be just fine back there, but they have to draw a line some where.
I had stuff hanging off the back of my last Bighorn and when this one is about a year old I will haul out the welder and go to work.

Peace
Dave

CE //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/customavatars/avatar4202_1.gif
Join DateJul 2008LocationUSA - ILPosts65My location
Club Member Number1149Club Member Since2009-02-19Bike rack

I recently purchased a new hitch from Hitch Mart and installed it on our Bighorn.
The hitch is listed for a motor home but fit the frame on the Bighorn perfectly. I am sure it could be applied to most Heartland Units.
Total cost was about $280.00
Here is the link to Hitch Mart.
http://www.hitchmart.com/commerce/pr...1359&catId=170

I also used a ball type insert for the receiver and then welded a short receiver to the top of it to accept the bike rack and also to raise it about 3 inches.
Attached Thumbnails//heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=3987&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1241881937 //heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=3988&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1241881937​

PSF513

We have a Bighorn that came with rear tabs on the frame for a receiver that accepts a small bikerack. I simply bolted a frame between the tabs and mounted a 2 bike rack

floridarandy

for less than $100 i had a 2" receiver hitch installed on the front of our 2008 F250. it was a bolt on affair using holes left by Ford for this purpose. For about $80 bucks I got a 2 bike carrier that slides into the 2" receiver. The bikes are below eye level while driving and ride more smoothly than what I've seen watching 5vers going down the road with rear mounts and certainly more easy to deal with than mounts on the 5ver hitch or on top of the truck. The receiver will also serve a second function when we get our kayaks. The hitch shop has a "goal post" mount that fits between the receiver and bike rack that provides support for the front of the kayaks and a removable foam bar that fits over the cab to support the back of the kayaks.

will post a picture album on my profile when the rig is complete.

Miller0758

for less than $100 i had a 2" receiver hitch installed on the front of our 2008 F250. it was a bolt on affair using holes left by Ford for this purpose. For about $80 bucks I got a 2 bike carrier that slides into the 2" receiver. The bikes are below eye level while driving and ride more smoothly than what I've seen watching 5vers going down the road with rear mounts and certainly more easy to deal with than mounts on the 5ver hitch or on top of the truck. The receiver will also serve a second function when we get our kayaks. The hitch shop has a "goal post" mount that fits between the receiver and bike rack that provides support for the front of the kayaks and a removable foam bar that fits over the cab to support the back of the kayaks.

will post a picture album on my profile when the rig is complete.

Randy, did you ever post pictures of your carrier hook up and how is it working out for you? I'm very interested in if you tried the kayak set-up. Thanks, John