Thread: Pdi?

1. Print this Post   #1

Pdi?

We're considering buying a new Big Horn sight unseen from an internet seller, and wondered how important it is to do a PDI, and how we should handle that? We have a good rv technician who could fix most anything that we find, but is there anything to dispute if a problem becomes apparent when we receive it?

2. Print this Post   #2

Re: Pdi?

The common opinion has been "don't sign anything, until you have inspected the trailer.

The PDI is your chance to verify that everything is to your liking. I drove from CO to IN to pick-up the trailer and do a PDI. Getting thing fixed after delivery involves warranty claims and a lot of paperwork, if things are found before signing for the trailer Dealer will handle items much faster and it is your chance to ask the selling dealer questions about the operation of all the systems of the trailer
    Alan, Sandy, and 2 Corgis, Molly and Baxter

3. Print this Post   #3
    Original Owners Club Member jmgratz's Avatar

MHO is the PDI or Walkthrough is the most important thing to do before taking delivery of your trailer. It gives you a chance to address minor and major issues as well as learn how to operate various functions of the RV. It also will help you become familiar with locations of various components such as water heater, converter, winterizing valves etc. My advice is to not buy any RV without a PDI or walkthrough.
    Jim & Sheila Gratz - owners club #1018 Workamping as Sales Associate with SE Publications Certified RV Walk-through Technician [/I] 2013 Landmark San Antonio - full body paint - Fulltimer pkg, Yetti pkg etc., Mor-Ryde IS with never lube bearings and disc brakes. --previous 5er - 2007 "Classic" Landmark "Golden Gate" Replaced 9/20/13 2012 Ford F350 King Ranch Crew Cab fx4 dually, 6.7 L Husky Trailer Saver TS2 hitch "visit TEXAS - it's like a whole 'nuther country" Rally Site 414

4. Print this Post   #4

Never buy before being present for the PDI. Download a comprehensive PDI list and follow the tech through the whole thing. You would be suprised about how much you can learn about your specific rig and RVs in general by following a good tech through this process. Don't confuse the PDI which should take hours to do with the salesmans walkthrough.

5. Print this Post   #5

I have had very good experience from internet sellers, actually better then local purchases
    Internet sellers have to keep a 100% good service because they will loose big from a bad service
    Barbara and Laurent, Retired teacher and maintenance/engineering,Full Timing
    Mods: Hydraulic selector valves, Queen bed, heavier front closet rod, W/D door swing changed, 2" rear hitch. 2" pin box hitch.Added build in water filter, Replaced HW Tank Fittings. Modified 2 ceiling vents. Relocated shocks to 60deg. 9/16" U-bolts and spring plates.Center 7500 lbs Scissor Stabilizer Jacks. Hawkshead TPMS. Reinforced kitchen sink supports.More supports and longer rails to couch drawer. Modified bedroom steps for storage. Modified landing gear jacks, etc.
    2005 Ford F250 SD, XL F250 4x4, Long Box, 6.0L Diesel, 6 Speed Stick, Use ScangaugeII for Economy, available 60 XGauges and Scanner, Fuel Pressure Gauge, Max Energy by Hypertech set at 85HP for cooling, torque and economy. ELC Coolant and Filter and EGR cooler deleted. 2 added 1300lbs each spring plies, Fuel mileage 21 MPusG empty, 12.6 MPusG pulling the BC. 6.2" din2 touch screen car Radio with DVD, TV, CD,SD,USB, GPS and Rear Cam,

6. Print this Post   #6

We have a very good freind who flew from SoCal to Michigan just yesterday to do the PDI and is flying home today. They are having it delivered and didn't want any hassels of buying without seeing/checking. I hope all went well, I'm sure it did as he was going to call if anything came up that he didn't understand.
    Gary & Diana
    08' Dodge CTD 3500 QC 4X4 SLT Dually
    09' 3670 BigHorn
    Southern Oregon Coast

7. Print this Post   #7

Quote Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
    I have had very good experience from internet sellers, actually better then local purchases
    Internet sellers have to keep a 100% good service because they will loose big from a bad service
    In your experiences, how was the PDI handled? Or was it just a matter of the dealer covering things under warranty after you found them?

8. Print this Post   #8

I spent at least 6 hours following the PDI tech around my rig. He checked everything. Attached is a sample PDI list. You can find others on a search of this forum or Google PDI list.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jbeletti; 12-01-2010 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Converted and attached PDF version of Gaffer's PDI document