* Banks speed brake
or save for the levelup system by Lippert
***I can have only one***
Any thoughts?

Last edited:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have an auxiliary tank, tonneau cover, although not a Bakflip, speed brake and the Level Up. If I had to make a choice it would be between the Speed Brake and the Level Up. The Speed Brake really does its job and the Level Up is awsome in that after you unhitch, a push of a button and a minute later you are all set up.
It's a tough call, but I would narrow it down to those two.
Good luck deciding.

Peace
Dave

dprince99

Thanks Dave,
I know @ the Mich. rally you were talking about getting a speed brake, I'm glad to hear that it's working well for you. I believe you have the allison 6 speed trans. in your truck, does the brake really help over what the trans. can do? Is it hard on or does it rev the engine? Did you install it yourself?
I've wanted Levelup ever sense I saw yours, & hope to get it sometime next summer.
what are your thoughts on an auxiliary tank? I went all last summer waiting until after I unhooked @ a camp site to get fuel because of my fear of getting stuck in a gas station with my trailer. As long as I travel less than 300 mi. between camp sites I do OK.
Thanks

Hoosier Wolverine

David,
I have a Dodge diesel with the stock exhaust brake. I also have a 72 gal. aux. fuel tank. If I had to give up one, I'd keep the aux. fuel tank, but giving up the exhaust brake would be tough. Hope this helps.
John

Last edited:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, I do have the Allison 6 speed and the difference is day and night with the Speed Brake. It really works. It does rev the engine but I have not red lined it. Yes I installed it. Pretty much plug and play. Run a few furnished wire sets and plug them in. I did get the Banks IQ to go with it. I think Banks has a sale going on right now. Ends tomorrow.
I really do like the auxiliary tank. I don't like pulling in to fill up with the trailer. I would much rather unhitch at a CG and go for fuel. Once you get over the shock of paying for a fill up it's all good.
You gonna be in Goshen this year? Howz that monster drool machine?

Peace
Dave

boatdoc

David,
I have a Dodge diesel with the stock exhaust brake. I also have a 72 gal. aux. fuel tank. If I had to give up one, I'd keep the aux. fuel tank, but giving up the exhaust brake would be tough. Hope this helps.
John

We have the brake on the truck also. I installed the AUX tank from Transfer Flow and no way in heck am I giving up either one. We talked on the level up but for that kind of money I can still bend over and do all it takes to level the trailer. That's a lot of dough for something we've all done for a long time!!!

dprince99

Thanks Dave,
No pressure right, !!! SALE END TOMORROW !!!
Of course I would have to have the Economind power pak to accompany the Speedbrake & IQ.
I guess the Deoblo tuner could head for Cregslist. We can't wait to go to the Goshen really in june, maybe I can get a deal on levelup @ the rally.
The monster drool machine (Maggie) Is well, She is about 165 lb. & loves the snow, of course she is the only one in our family that does.
Can't wait for january to start making reservations for next summers camping.
Hope to see you guys soon!!!
Take Care,
Dave & Ginny

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
FWIW, I asked my dealer about putting the Banks Speed Brake in my 2009 GMC. He indicated that if there were a problem and they traced it back to an add-on, it would void the warranty.

I've got a laundry list of upgrades, too. Starting with the pin box.

Rrloren

I installed the BakFlip cover on my truck when new but it lasted about a year and a half. Not trying to bad mouth it cause I'm sure others have had good service from the BakFlip but my experience was not too good. The edges kept coming off until finally the hinges cracked and failed while folded up towing the 5th wheel.

davebennington

David,

The list that you have is all mof the things that I wanted also. First the aux fuel tank from transfer flow is expensive, if you have any mechanical ability at all go with the RDS tank from Northern Tool they are about 1/2 the price. In my opinion the level up system would be the second install on my list. As far as a bed cover goes if you tow alot you will not be using the cover anyway so it would be last on my list. Lastly the exhaust brake they are nice but not really necessary to tow a trailer.

These are of course onlymy opinions and choices, you will have to weigh the pros and cons that fit your needs and budget.

Dave

dprince99

Thanks everyone for all the great input!!!
Man, this is expensive stuff.
I'm thinking that I don't want to run out of gas or burn out brakes going down hills.
Thanks again

jnbhobe

I guess if I had to put them in order I would go for the tank then level-up then if you worry about the downhills the speed brake and last the toneau cover. The way it went was the cover, tank, level-up and I haven't needed the speed-brake.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Thanks everyone for all the great input!!!
Man, this is expensive stuff.
I'm thinking that I don't want to run out of gas or burn out brakes going down hills.
Thanks again

Like they say an RV is nothing but a hole in the road you pour money into.

2010augusta

For us it would be:

1. Level-up, more stability less shaking when the corgis play
2. Speed-brake, Don't know if we need one, descended a 14 mile 8% grade from Cloudcroft to Alamogordo NM at 35 mph and only tapped the brakes 3 times.
3. Tank. already have2 tank in the ford for a total of 59 gallons, and that will last 6 hours, I need a break at least that often
4. Cover, Hauler bed can't use a cover, but we have 7 lockable storage areas in the bed.

Dave012

Best modification I have made to the truck is the 50 gallon transfer flow. Peace of mind and convenience has been great for me as well as the DW. Have the Trax II monitor so I know exactly (roughly?) how much I have.

Don't need a speedbrake, but I would put the auxillary tank ahead of the tunneau cover. I just have a roll-up cover, but it has worked fine.

caissiel

I only have a transfer flow tank of 20 Gallons that I got for $30.00 installation parts and would never leave home without one.
The other things have never been on my list of things that I need. A full set of tools in my box is much more important to me.

mountain1

I have a 5th wheel and installed an 80 gallon gravity flow aux. tank. works great. I do wish I would have put in the one that is kind of L shaped so a tool box would set on it. the gravity flow has worked well and I would hate to be without it.