Emergency tool kit

bowhunter

Hello Everyone,

Being new to owning a trailer, but being someone who is usually prepared, I'm putting together a basic emergency road kit whenever our trailer is on the road.

Concerning tools that I might need for hardware utilized on a trailer (bolts/nuts/screws) are most hardware componants standard SAE size or are metric sizes utilized as well?

Thanks for the advise - Dean & Ellen

2010augusta

Dean & Ellen, Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum,

Most hardware is ASE, but there is a bit of metric too, One odd piece the is a must is a #2 Square drive bit. I would get some basic PEX supplies too, to help with any possible plumbing issues. A Multi-meter is a good thing too, to help with electric issues.

jimtoo

Hi Dean and Ellen,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Follow Alan's advice, it is good.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The list of tools could get extensive, but in general, the type of tools you'd need for basic repairs around the house will serve you well for most things on your trailer. With the addition of the PEX tools and some fittings for that. Extra stuff to have on hand are things like Gorilla tape, teflon tape, electrical tape. Some silicone spray lube. Screw clamp fittings for flexible hoses are handy, as is an assortment of small wood and metal screws, machine screws, nuts and washers. Electrical joiners, like wire nuts and crimp butt splices come in handy, too. A cordless drill/driver is real nice to have along (keep the batteries charged). A pack of spare fuses, both ATC and inline, is good, too.

I see in your profile that you live in Eastpointe. Isn't that what folks from Roseville that ran out of money on their way to Grosse Pointe renamed East Detroit? I grew up on Rosalind, between Norton & Semrau. EDHS '67.

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Wood blocks, jack, lugwrench, duct tape or rescue tape and a sledge hammer for anything else that breaks;)

Moose

Dean & Ellen, Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum,

Most hardware is ASE, but there is a bit of metric too, One odd piece the is a must is a #2 Square drive bit. I would get some basic PEX supplies too, to help with any possible plumbing issues. A Multi-meter is a good thing too, to help with electric issues.

Are you referring to a bit for a Robertson #2?

Robertson_screw150.jpg

Also may want to carry some tie wraps/zip ties/cable ties and some tie/baling/rabbit wire (whatever they is called in your neck os the woods)

Moose

Wood blocks, jack, lugwrench, duct tape or rescue tape and a sledge hammer for anything else that breaks;)

Agree on the sledge hammers. Take various sizes for increasing size of problems. After all you wouldn't want to fix it on the first "wack". Always keep in mind . . . . . brute force always works . . . . .

2010augusta

Are you referring to a bit for a Robertson #2?
It is not really a robertson, HL uses Quadrex screws and either a phillips, or preferably a square or a Quadrex bit to remove and install.

There are a few "double square" or "double Robertson" used in various areas.

here are pics of my bit and the screws in question:
DSCN7801.JPGDSCN7805.JPGDSCN7803.JPG

Here is a nice site with info on screw driver styles.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I wish they would not use those screws. So often they are too big and look bad.

bowhunter

Thanks everyone for the welcome and the advice. Both are much appreciated! Yep JohnDar, East Detroit was renamed Eastpointe some years back. Mostly because the East Detroit city council members at the time and maybe some city residents, wanted to differentiate the cities name from the city of Detroit.

Willym

In addition, I suggest a half-inch drive torque wrench for getting those lug nuts on just right and for checking other suspension fasteners.

grizzlygiant

It seems that the most frequently used tool beside the screw driver is a small compressor I carry with me. I use it to top off the air in the hitch air-bag, blow dirt out of the cube heater, clean the vacuum cleaner, blow out the truck cab,........ and top off tires.

caissiel

I have a Scangauge II that I use to protect my truck. It indicates when my Batteries are fully charged, and will tell me what is wrong with the truck so I can fix it on the road. I have complete set of tools required to fix truck and trailer in my toolbox situated in the box behind the 5th wheel hitch. If a job is to complicated for the tools I have I just buy one.

My Father with grade 2 education always told me that it was much more practical to buy the tool then pay someone else do the work.

On the way down I lost a bumper cap and a hose so I just looked in my toolbox and added one I bought a yard sale. Hate to be stuck not having the right spare.