I need help making a decesion, 2002 chevy 2500 or 2004 ford f250

MFL

Please give me input , i need to make a decesion on a purchase 2002 Chev. silverado 2500HD
8.1 gas engine with 51,000 miles, for $10,000 or a ford f250 diesel 6.0 with 82,000 miles
for 12,400 both trucks are 2 wheel drive not 4x4.
2002 silverado tows 15,000 gvw 5th wheel, not sure on the ford i read many posts
on the 6.0 thats not very positive,
Please help
Thanks Mario

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Thats a tough question. The Chevy might be ok if the price was better. If you consider yourself a lucky person go for the Ford for no more than $10k.
Ford......325 HP, 550 TQ with a bad track record.
Chevy....340 HP, 455 TQ with a ok track record.

Maybe keep looking for something newer.

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Mario, What are you considering pulling? I have owned a 2001 chev with the same engine. I assume the one you are considering has the Allison and a 4:10 rear end. Though the price seems a bit tad high for a gasser. I have no experience as an owner of Ford other than a 97 F150. Bad experience and I will probably not consider a Ford again. I've heard and read the same about the 6 liter diesel and based on the fact that Ford has changed engines twice since, I too would be concerned.
GM doesn't offer the 8.1 any longer. Probably because it's fuel consumption. It's original concept was a marine engine and I have not heard anything negative other than gas mileage is terrible. Expect 12 at most on the road and 8 towing depending on the load.

ricatic

I do not know much about the GM engine. I do know a little about the 6.0. Model year 2004 is a tricky year for the 6.0. It came in 2 configurations, with each having their own idiosyncrasies. The later, after 9/16/03 production had some welcome improvements but received a more fragile egr cooler. I have posted a detailed summary of the 6.0 here. It is linked below. It covers the checkered history of the engine. I, after much thought, would recommend prospective buyers of Ford 6.0 powered trucks to stick with 2006 and 2007 model years. They had good reliability and much lower warranty claims.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/15774-Some-information-on-the-Ford-6.0-engine-long-post

Regards

MFL

I had a 2008 f450 that i purchased new the problem was in 2 years i put only 3,800 miles on the truck, i had some problems mostly due to the truck not being used enough, i have a 3600 rl fifth wheel i love the unit, i only do local camping 50 miles ea. way, the 2002
gmc was used for a fifth wheel only the car fax shows all the maintenace schedules on time, does the ford 6.0 pull more than the gmc gas.

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Ford with a 6.Oh No......... Run, don't walk....... RUN!!!!!!! Your post almost comes off as those are the only 2 trucks you can buy. Take your time and look around. There are a lot of these trucks in the $10 - 15k range.

If you are looking at a Ford Look for a 2000 - 2003 with the 7.3. The '99 models also had the 7.3 but '99 is another goofy changover year where the early 99 models have a few parts that are hard to find and pricy.

The trucks assembled before Dec 8 98 are early 99 models You need to see the build sheet to get this date or simply look at some of the parts that give it away like the front axle u bolts.

Here's the most comprehensive list I've come across, it relates to the PSD's mostly but some of the stuff applies to the gassers also. Credit for this list goes to strokin_early_99 over at ford-trucks.com.

Early 99 has a wicked wheel in the from the factory.

The early99 has 120cc(AB code) injectors and the late99-03 has 140cc(AD code) injectors.

The early99 has 2" intake runners. The late99-03 has 3" intake runners.

The early99 has a 15* swash plate HPOP. The late99-03 has a 17* swash plate HPOP.

The early99 has one glow plug relay. The late99-03 has one glow plug relay and one air intake heater relay side by side. Both relays are on the passenger side valve cover toward the front of the truck.

The early99 has a totally different air filter that is not inter changeable with the late99-03. But you can put the late99 air cleaner assembly in the early99 truck. The only two aftermarket air filters that work on the early99 are the AFE stage 2 and the AIS.

The early99 track rod has smaller mounting bolts than the late99-03.

The early99 has shallower rotors than the late99-03.

The early99 has shorter hub-bearings than the late99-03.

The early99 front axle U bolts are square where they go over the spring pack. The late99 U bolts are round.

The early99 has a different pitman arm than the late99-03.

The early99 does not have the AIH like the late99-03.

The early99 does not have the automatic transmission fluid cooler in the radiator.

The early99 has no indicator light showing that "cruise" is on. Late99-03 has a cruise light that will come on when you set the cruise control. The early99 truck has the light in the dash already. A newer PCM(Yes it will plug in and will run better too) must be used to make the cruise light illuminate. It is a green light on the right side edge, half way up.

GOTTOYS

If that's all the miles you'll be putting on it, buy the gasser. Who cares about the fuel mileage. The overall maintenance will be less expensive, not that it will need much. Oil changes will cost about 1/2. Either one will pull what you need to pull. Anything but a early Ford 6.0 diesel in my opinion....Don