Actually winter camping

jgallus

The literature states the Sundance 275RL is rated down to 0 degrees, but If I take my camper to the North Shore of Minnesota and the temp dips down to single digits above zero will my freshwater/greywater/blackwater tanks freeze up? What something is "rated" for and what it can actually handle sometimes are different. I am new to camping with a 5th wheel in general and have done some extensive reading on this forum. I want to make sure it will be safe for me to use my camper with these colder temps.

I know I can use the camper and just not de-winterize the water lines, but I would like to be able to use them if at all possible.

Thanks in advance,

-Jeff

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Do you have external valves and plumbing like I do? My external plumbing/valves froze up solid on our first trip out with temps in the teens. I had to heat tape and insulate the outside lines.
Make sure you run your ducted furnace to keep the underbelly tanks from freezing. Also I start out with a few gallons if anti-freeze poured in the drains to fill up the outside piping.

FennerJ

Heartland Dealer Service
The brochure states that the interior of the unit is rated for 0 degrees and when the furnace is running the unit will maintain the heat. If you are to utilize your water system you will need to take other steps that dealers will offer. Skirting is an option customers take as well as heat tape on the lines and tanks to prevent freezing. Heartland RV encloses the underbelly and the underbelly is heated by radiant heat from the ducting system to assist in freezing temperatures but if you are in freezing temps it is always a good idea to take extra steps.

Last edited:

grizzlygiant

"ZERO DEGREE RATING" can be most misleading. IF you keep your furnace going to maintain a 60+ degree temperature inside enough heat is SUPPOSED to go into the belly to keep the tanks from freezing down to zero. I use my Sundance all winter with temperatures to zero and have never had the TANKS freeze but everything else (water lines and sewer lines) will freeze solid unless special provisions are made. These include perimiter exterior skirting with a heat source under the trailer, electric heat tapes and extra insulation. If I had a few hours and about $100 worth of materials in the factory just before the belly wrap was installed I could make the Sundance into a much better winter camper---too late now without major work.