Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sprint or Verizon???

1. Print this Post   #1
    Senior Member - Past Moderator Ray LeTourneau's Avatar

Sprint or Verizon???

Our existing Alltel contract is finally over and I'm shopping. I'm considering both Verizon and Sprint for a basic Smartphone. What I've found so far is Sprint gives you more phone and what appears to be a better plan for the money. But is the service/coverage as good. I know there are coverage maps out there to view but real world info from users always seems to make more sense.

Both carriers phones I'm looking at are also hot spot capable but once again, Sprint is the more cost effective plan. 5Gig for $30 whereas VZ is 2Gig for $20. Keep in mind this is only the charge when using the phone as a hot spot. Not the same as the USB modem plans.

Thanks in advance for your comments.
    Ray & Lin
    R.I.P. Suzi
    R.I.P Bart

2. Print this Post   #2

Re: Sprint or Verizon???

Several yrs. ago I had Sprint but had to switch to Verizon since the coverage was much better when traveling. Now that was several yrs. ago so maybe Sprint has improved their coverage.
    In my travels from Me. to Fl. and as far West as Mt. I find very few areas w/o coverage with Verizon. I would say it depends on where you will spend most of your time. Good luck with your selection.
    2007.5 Dodge 2500 , Quad SLT 4wd , 6.7L , Air Raid Filter , Hypertech Max Energy , Edge CTS , 37 gal. aux. fuel tank, Pml Trans pan. Firestone Air Bags , Billstein shocks and steering damper.
    2010 Sundance 2900 MK , Winfield stabilizer bars.
    Two Maine Coon cats Bruno & Mario

3. Print this Post   #3

Ray, we've had Verizon for years and traveled alot, found very few spots without service, both our son and daughter had Sprint one switched soon as his contract was up, our daughter paid the early penalty and cancelled after a few months, both did this within the last 2 yrs, she's on Verizon now and said it's alot better (in her opinion) and they both us their phones for everything. But like Rrloren said, it might depend on your location. Good luck in your choice
    Rob n Mo (aka Mona) 1 Sheltie (Indy) 2 Silver Shaded Persians (Mocha & Shelby who now produced baby Shilo)
    2007 Ram Laramie dually 6.7 cummins
    94 FXDWG (hers)
    04 FLSTCI (his)
    Retired, now LIFE begins.

4. Print this Post   #4

Have you considered T-Mobile?
    Their coverage is vastly improved over a few years ago.

Being an insider with T-Mobile, I'm not sure how their rate plans compare...
    Curious as to why their not on your "consideration" list.
    Dave & Tina, plus our back-seat driver, Denna (the mastiff)
    2011 Elk Ridge 29RKSA
    2008 F350 SD 4x4 Crewcab, LB, SRW, 6.4L Diesel

5. Print this Post   #5
    Senior Member - Past Moderator Ray LeTourneau's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crumgater View Post
    Have you considered T-Mobile?
    Their coverage is vastly improved over a few years ago.

Being an insider with T-Mobile, I'm not sure how their rate plans compare...
    Curious as to why their not on your "consideration" list.
    T-Mobile coverage in Northern IL and central WI is pretty spotty. That's where we spend the majority of our summer.
    Ray & Lin
    R.I.P. Suzi
    R.I.P Bart

6. Print this Post   #6

Ray; I have Verizon now, its probably the best I've had in the last 20yr. I had cellular one with good priceing then AT&T witch had good coverage but their pricing was way high.I've tried Sprint but it worked the best in metropolitain areas and I don't spend much time in the city. With Verizon we get a 22% discount on the main line witch is Patti's thru GE retirees, check around Verizon gives discounts to a lot of companys including the millitary.
    Patti & Jon Holbert
    PJ (Welsh Springer Spaniel rescue)
    Freckles (Welsh Springer Spaniel)RIP
    Erie,Pa.
    Heartland Owners Club #1025
    2009 BH 3370 #9E012371 Sailun S637's on 17.5 in Mod Wheels,8K Hubs, Mor-Ryde Independent Suspension, Disc Brakes, Reese Fifth Airborne, Level-up,LED Lights,awning on slideout and BU lights
    2019 F-350 Lariat Ultimate Limited, DRW, 4X4,4.10 LS Gears,40K GCWR, CC, LB,Dual Moon Roofs, Cameras, Adaptive Cruise
    2015 Explorer XLT Sport, 4X4, Dual Moon Roofs, 20" Wheels.
    08 Branson,MI,
    09 Goshen,PA,MO
    10 East Coast,PA,OH,Nashville,NY,ON,Illinois
    11 Cherokee,NJ,PA,Goshen,Delaware,Illinois,NY,
    12 Virginia Beach,PA,NY,WI,MI, Illinois,Minnesota
    13 Gettysburg, Goshen, NY, Illinois, Missouri, Iowa
    14 Urbanna, Va.,ON,PA.,Illinois, NY.
    15 Goshen,NE Regional,NY, PA, Illinois,
    16 Lancaster, SE, SC,NC,NE Regionals, ON, VA, PA, NY
    17 VA,Goshen,IL,WI,OH,MD,NJ,NY
    18 NE Regional, NY
    19 PA,NY,Goshen,Rally,Pre,Pre-Pre-Rally

7. Print this Post   #7
    Southeast Region Director, HOC Nabo's Avatar

We have had Verizon for about 10 years with little problems traveling throughout the country including Hawaii. I was also amazed at how well the coverage was in the western part of British Columbia Canada. We also have the air card (for over 5 years) with VZ and haven't had a lot of problems with it even tho the coverage isn't as good as the cell service. Hubbie is heading to Puerto Rico next week and the island has full coverage.
    Nathan & Byrd
    BamBam (toy poodle)
    Home State: Tennessee
    HOC #1298
    2014 Ram 3500 drw
    2019 Landmark 365 Newport

8. Print this Post   #8

I've been a Sprint customer for 10 years or so and have been pleased overall. My wife and I both upgraded to BlackBerry phones a year ago thru Sprint and have enjoyed the phones and the overall cell service. We use our phones only in the South (LA,MS,ARK,TX,TN,FL) so I obviously can't speak for the coverage in other areas of the U.S.A.

One quick point of interest, not long after Hurricane Katrina hit the Gulf Coast, I was working near Venice, LA and everyones cell phone signal was hitting on offshore towers ($$$) and I still had Sprint service because they rushed down to get their towers back up and running immediately after "The Storm". Sprint's quick action provided communication at an important time for thousands of people.
    Jellystone --HOC# 1554
    2010 ROAD WARRIOR 305
    2009 Dodge 3500 QC Dually (CUMMINS 6.7 TURBO DIESEL)
    2005 Club Car- 4 Seater
    1 Lovely Wife, 2 Great Kids, 1 Spoiled Shih Tzu
    GEAUX TIGERS

9. Print this Post   #9
    US Army Retired (CW4)

Verizon for over 20 years.....simply because I am too lazy to look for better.....not too many problems.....I just hate change!!!!!!!

10. Print this Post   #10

We started with Verizon in 1990 before they were Verizon. Extremely good coverage. In 2007 we switched to AT&T because of price. We just switched back because of coverage. We travel lots and there were just to many dead spot with AT&T.
    Our daughter moved in with us a few years ago with Sprint. Very poor reception. She moved up by Seattle and again when she was traveling for work to many dead area. Now she has Verizon and no dead areas.
    Just look at their coverage map compared to any other service out there. Definitely the best.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast