Nashville to Knoxville

Buford445

Has anyone traveled I40 between Nashville and I75 Knoxville ?
How is it for Mountainous Highway ?
When I pull the new 5'r down there I would like to avoid any of the steeper grades like Mt. Eagle and the smaller grades through Knoxville and Lexington in the weather that we're having.
Fear of the Unknown is the problem as I have never pulled a trailer of this weight through the Mountains before

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
No problems on I-40 between K-ville and N-ville. Did it both directions for the National Rally this past summer. A few low mountains/hills, but easy climbs. I was able to maintain 60-65mph all the way. Of course, that was with the FORD. Not sure a Dodge can keep up :angel: (OK - now I've started it!)

Buford445

OH NO YOU DIDN'T LOL I Think my Dodge can Keep UP :)
Thanks with dry roads I not worried I just want to stay away from steep grades until I get use to it a little
My old 5'r is a 99 Wildwood 25ft CGVW at 8000# just a little lighter ;^}

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
TN is an easy drive but if the weather is bad wait it out. Better late than never. No steep grades or twisty roads on I 40 in TN until you get close to the NC line and go into the Gorge which is 26 miles long 40 across part of it being in NC.

Mt Eagle is on I 24 close to Chattanooga.

Buford445

I would be coming from Mich down I65 from Indy
The Map program brings me down 75 from Lima on down I will be staying NE of Chattanooga on 75, but coming through N-Ville and 40 I'm hoping to miss alot of the steep grades

lwmcguir

Lived NE of Chattanooga for a number of years back in the 70's. Beautiful country for sure and great people.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Ed - if you are coming from Nashville to Knoxville, there is a medium grade on the west side of Cookeville up to the plateau of Crossville. The problem right now with the grade is the construction work in that the state is trying to take down the rock slopes along the interstate. Not sure when you are planning on coming this way (i live just off I40 @ MM 368) but right now we have freezing rain and the roads are starting to get icy. I face the interstate and the trucks are slowing way down due to the icing condition. Good luck.

tmcran

Ed grade is not problem on I 40 --however, ice and snow thats another thing. Even in Texas I stay off the icy roards and don't pull my RV.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Ed - you will pass right by my house heading to Sweetwater. Not sure if you travel this way much but there's a little short cut between I-40 to I-75. On I-40 take Hwy 321 (I think its exit #364) toward Lenoir City. It's a 4 lane road, only 1 stop light before coming up to I-75. Nice road and will cut about 8-10 miles off from traveling the interstate way. We use it all the time. Sweetwater only about 20 miles from here.