This might be helpfull Information for fuel mileage

caissiel

I have the scangaugeII on my truck all the time and do all kinds of observations.
The unit can be calibrated at every fillup and is not a lier gauge like the trucks have installed at the factory as an option. With the truck stock the fuel flow is at 100%, at 37Hp setting its 143% and at 80 HP setting its at 117%. And yes I do get different readings for different fueling stations though I never believed in it before.

So Far I have located fuel suppliers that have better fuel then others and fuel only at the locations I have found good readings and use 2 cycle oil for other fuels to bring the additives to proper power efficiency.

I did an Egr Block on my truck last month and now I truely feel it was well worth it.

When I cruised around with the truck unloaded I could keep the fuel flow rate at around 28MPG (Canadian) and now I can and aim at keeping it at 40MPG (Canadian). That is a huge increase and so far I have a hard time to believe it. Its not average but it surely does increase the mileage on longer trips. Now I just boot it to speed to exercise the turbo and travel with the eye on the MPG readings. Feathering the gas paddle is getting easy to do. And no more Exhaust gases at low throttle.

I did get up to 200 miles increase on my 2 tanks of fuel during the trip down to Florida. And to do that I keeped the Turbo pressure at less then 10 PSI most of the time. It had plenty of power with the setting on the E-con at 80HP, to do most of the hills though I allowed it to slow down..

I discovered it by accident because I thought I was pucking coolant due to an EGR coolant leak, and I read the Exhaust Back Pressure and tried to keep it at lower pressures then the 16Lbs the coolant cap is rated at. At less then 16PSI EBP my turbo would indicate less then 10PSI.
Later I found out I had a fitting on a coolant hose that was not tight enough and all was well.

I had a GM 6.2L diesel standard with a 5600Lbs trailer and It was great on fuel I could get 18 MPG (Canadian) while towing on a trip down to Florida. But it I had to do the hills on high and slowed down to 40MPH at the top, it made a long trip but cheap.

Well this last trip I kept the mileage at 18 MPG (Canadian) through the new england states while towing the BC and traveling at 60MPH. And did it again and better coming down through GA and FL. I was getting readings of better then 16MPusG.

When the truck has to shift down to high (off overdrive) in a hill, the mileage escalades to 50% higher then on overdrive, so shifting hurts mileage for sure. Since I have a standard the fuel flow downhill is mostly 0 while this trailer works so well pushing the truck. I had to pull the last trailer down hills most of the time.

Like I said many times the ScangaugeII is paying for itself in gas mileage. Such a simple tool that does so much.

My conclusion has been
1. Exercise the Turbo to keep it from sticking.
2. Keep the pressures up in the tires of the RV.
3. Keep the turbo pressure down as low as comfortable.
4. Find a way to keep the gears on overdrive. (I use E-Con)
5. Keep the speed at 60 MPH and not 65 MPH. at 40 is even much better ha,ha,ha.
6. Keep trying to do better at every trip.

GOTTOYS

I've tried a lot of different techniques. The mileage varies by maybe 3 mpg..sometimes. I found that the worst thing for my mileage is the combination of very cold temperatures and the blended fuel we have to use in the Winter. I love driving this truck and figure to heck with it. If that's the price of admission so be it. Now I just drive it the way I want to and pay the price...Don

caissiel

I am always living on the edge, Use to pull a 5th wheel with a V6, to save on fuel.
And with the Gas engine all my theory was completly opposite because Gas engines need to rev at their best efficient RPM of 3000RPM. This truck had the same mileage pulling the 24ft unit that I have with this Ford.

But the new GM's do have a lower max Torque RPM.

caissiel

I made 3 trips to Florida and back with the V6 and trailer. And I am not kidding a lot of people surely did not approve of the setup.

The milage was last night in Florida
From Homosassa and Inverness and back.
One hour north of Tampa where we are still freezing every night

caissiel

I also read about a lot of broken down diesel engines , transmission, Programers that kill Engines and transmissions.

Yes It can be very effective in moving goods, I have been involved with owners that never made any money with their trucks and some that did fortunes and retired with he same model truck. It was in the attitude they had toward their truck.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
If I cruise at above 2000 rpm, my mileage drops significantly. So when I'm in the flat, I try to run at under 2k.

Willym

Like Laurent, I have a Scangauge. I really like the current mpg feature. It updates very frequently. There's no better way to see the effects of cruising speed on your fuel usage. Drop 5mph, and you see quite a difference. I also use the speed readout. My speedo has a km/hr scale, but I can monitor my exact mph figure on the Scangauge, along with actual engine and air temps, intake pressure etc. You can also calibrate the mpg feature on fill-ups to get a more accurate reading.