GMC Integrated Brake Controller Adjustment Settings

JASMAR

Have Camera Will Travel
We will be adjusting our GMC Intergrated Brake Controller once we get our new 5ver. On my previous pull trailer, that only weight 6600 loaded, the setting I settle on was about 5.5.

I am only asking as a reference point for the New 2800RL, does any one have a GMC 2500HD pulling either a 2900 MK or 2800 RL or any Sundance 5ver about the same weight. If so what did you finally end up with on your controller setting.

Just looking for a starting point to make my adjustments.

Tom

We have a 2008 3055 RL. On my truck I use the #5 setting on the brake controller and it seems to work great.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
5.5 is a good place to start. Test it out once you get the new rig hitched and see how it feels. Mine (bigger truck/bigger rig) is at 5.5. The setting is based on the trailer's response, not the truck. Wet brakes, worn brakes, and the setting may need to change. If the trailer's been sitting for an extended period, work the brakes a bit (parking lot, storage yard, etc.) before changing the setting. .

Our dealer did the initial setting when we picked up our rig and I haven't had to change it.

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
5.5 is a good place to start. Test it out once you get the new rig hitched and see how it feels. Mine (bigger truck/bigger rig) is at 5.5. The setting is based on the trailer's response, not the truck. Wet brakes, worn brakes, and the setting may need to change. If the trailer's been sitting for an extended period, work the brakes a bit (parking lot, storage yard, etc.) before changing the setting. .

Our dealer did the initial setting when we picked up our rig and i haven't had to change it.

agreed, ditto here.

JASMAR

Have Camera Will Travel
After about 300 Miles and also cold and wet conditions, I have had to reduce my setting to 3.5.

Chuck Richard

Nice to be back on the forum, I am picking up a 2011 GMC 3500 DRW tomorrow and kind of sad to give up the Prodigy which was great but I hate to add holes to the new truck witha integrated controller already there. I have an '09 3055RL and from this I think I'll start my tests at level 5. Thanks

JASMAR

Have Camera Will Travel
Chuck, I had a prodigy on my 2002 GMC and when we got the new 2010 GMC, I was wondering how the new integrated would work. Before we got the Sundance 5ver two weeks ago, I towed my Nash 22H with our 2010 GMC 2500 HD D/A and had the setting at 5.5, basically the same setting with the Prodigy.

I started with 5.5 with the 2011 Sundance 2800RL and seem okay for the trip home from the dealer (30 miles, some surface streets and some hwy), it seem pretty smooth when braking. But with the colder and wetter weather, when we left on our Maiden Voyage, I back it down to 3.5 (only adjust in .5 increments and it works smoothly...move it up to 4.0 it was a little jerky. Nice thing about intergrated controller, you only have one adjustment, the old b-1, b-2, and b-3 is now automatically adjusted by the truck.

Also have the Allison Transmission, down shifting on downhills in the tow mode by itself, it is a dream.

I will continue to post my settings after each trip until it settles down and the brakes brake in more.

JASMAR (Tom)

porthole

Retired
20-25 mph truck and trailer - slide the lever all the way over to max. If the brakes lock up reduce the gain. If they don't lockup increase the gain. The ideal setting will be just below lockup.

Cold brakes take more effort - so drive a little bit before you do the test.

Jasmar - the B-1, 2, 3 settings were "boost" settings that increased the initial voltage surge. Was good for "boosting" on the highway and quickly decreasing the level for around town use.

Do the new GM's have something like that built in?

JASMAR

Have Camera Will Travel
That is exactly how I check the numeric setting on my controller, usually am more conservative, only go about 10 to 15 MPH. Check it again towing it to the Dealer for warranty work, setting is still at 3.5, 4.0 made it jerky. Will keep it there until the new brakes brake in and grabs less. 3.5 works and the trailer brakes are activating first. I can pretty much do it by feel now.

Yes the GMC Integrated controller only has the numeric setting now, the is automatic stabilizing system in the truck that adjusts for boost some how. It has been about 10 months since I read up on it when I got the 2010 GMC, I forget the exact name of the system. But works great.

Tom

JASMAR

Have Camera Will Travel
After about 500 miles on the 2800, I have my adjustment at 4.0, 4.5 was still a little jerky.

JASMAR

Have Camera Will Travel
After Five trips and about 1000 miles on the 5ver, we have settled at 4.5 and seems to work pretty good. Just takes time for the brakes to seat and brake :) in.