Thread: WiFiRanger Router Review

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Print this Post   #1
    Mobile Broadband Consultant AlexSian's Avatar

WiFiRanger Router Review

I'm excited about a new mobile broadband router that just came out.
    You can read my entire review at: http://j.mp/wifiranger

THE BOTTOM LINE
    The WiFiRanger has one feature that no (current) mobile broadband router does: WiFi as an internet source.

Beyond that hardware feature, I'm pleasantly surprised by the company's commitment to the RV community and will be recommending it to most every RVer that asks my opinion about mobile broadband routers. Its certainly not for everyone -- and it doesn't seem like it was meant to be. The people behind the WiFiRanger have targeted the RV community and other roadwarriors as the main audience for their new toy, and they seem pretty determined to refine the product to meet the needs of that target audience.

As with any first version of new technology, I am sure that there will be some growing pains along the way, but at this point I am quite confident in the abilities of the manufacturer to pull off what they have set out to accomplish. Early adopters of the WiFiRanger are bound to have ideas on how they would like to improve the product, and I am hopeful that there will be some uservoice-like website put up to allow the customers to help piroritize future enhancements.

We have an opportunity to help shape a product's success and I'm curious what people really want to see in their future mobile broadband router?
    Mobile Broadband Consultant
    (no longer affiliated with 3G store)

2. Print this Post   #2
    Senior Member - Past Moderator Ray LeTourneau's Avatar

Re: WiFiRanger Router Review

Thanks for the information Alex. I'm glad you keep coming around to offer your professional advice and opinion.
    Ray & Lin
    R.I.P. Suzi
    R.I.P Bart

3. Print this Post   #3

Alex
    Thanks for the information on the Ranger. It seems like it does a lot that many of us use. As you may remember I have the MBR1000 which is working very well.

As I travel around the US I find that the Verizon Air Card is good in some areas, the Sprint Air Card is good in some areas and both are good in some areas. One of the features that the MBR1000 has is the ability to use both Air Cards at the same time. I have not set up this feature yet, but if the Ranger had two USB ports for Air Cards then it could select the Air Card that has the strongest signal or use both if they are weak to provide a better signal or both if they are strong and have a real screamer. When I arrive at a campground I check each card to see which has the better signal before I use it in my router.

One thing about external antennas, is that my Air Cards have ports to connect an antenna. An antenna on the ranger would only be good for local WiFi, Right?

Thanks for the information.

BC

PS...
    We are in Melissa just north of McKinney. Are you still in the Dallas Area?
    Travel safe & may God bless
    Bob Curry & Trevor
    2016 F350 CC SRW LB 4WD
    Ruby Red 08 Bighorn 3400RE #9948
    Mor/Ryde 7k IS, 8k DB * 17.5 Rims w/G114 GY Tires
    Bigfoot Auto Leveling
    Escapee 96030 * Fulltime since 10-08-2007
    Club Member # 1081

4. Print this Post   #4

Quote Originally Posted by TXBobcat View Post
    Alex
    One thing about external antennas, is that my Air Cards have ports to connect an antenna. An antenna on the ranger would only be good for local WiFi, Right?
    We are in Melissa just north of McKinney. Are you still in the Dallas Area?
    a future version of wifiranger may support multiple cellular modems, but not this one.
    you are correct, the external antenna to the WiFiRanger would only improve wifi.
    i am still in dallas, near 35 and 635. how long are you in melissa for?

5. Print this Post   #5
    Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator Terry H's Avatar

I just ordered the WiFiRanger it is on sale for a limited time for $ 99.95 plus I used Alex's coupon code (alexsian) and received an additional $ 20 off. So I purchased it for $79.99 plus shipping. I decided to buy this router because I upgraded to a Verizon Pantech UML290 4G USB Modem and my Cradlepoint CTR350 is not upgradeable to 4G.
    Last edited by Terry H; 12-30-2010 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Fixed typo

Terry H

Terry and Carol Hershberger

Past North Texas Chapter Leader

2018 Chevy 3500HD Duramax Classy Chassis RV Hauler

2015 Landmark Key Largo
    Heartland Owners Club #1004

2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2013 and 2015 Goshen North American Rally Site - 424
    2017 and 2019 Goshen North American Rally Site - South 203
    Also Attended 2008 Branson, 2010 Nashville, 2012 Gillette, 2014 Urbanna and 2016 Las Vegas North American Rally

6. Print this Post   #6

Quote Originally Posted by Terry H View Post
    I just ordered the WiFiRanger it is on sale for a limited time for $ 99.95 plus I used Alex's coupon code (alexsiam) and received an additional $ 20 off. So I purchased it for $79.99 plus shipping. I decided to buy this router because I upgraded to a Verizon Pantech UML290 4G USB Modem and my Cradlepoint CTR350 is not upgradeable to 4G.
    What a great deal!
    Minor correction, the couponcode is alexsian