Bed cover with 5th wheels - what are you using?

porthole

Retired
Dave - you ever try folding the cover in half - eg the last two sections folded over the first two, leaving a 4 foot platform covering the bed?
One of the Bakflip videos show this arrangement. Wondering if it clears the hitch this way.

truknutt

Committed Member
No, but I'll try it out and see if it clears the hitch. I'm thinking it will end near the center of the hitch head, though. Will let you know.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
No, but I'll try it out and see if it clears the hitch. I'm thinking it will end near the center of the hitch head, though. Will let you know.

I would think that the bed being 8 feet, half of that (4 ft) would just about be half wat. Putting it right at the hitch.

porthole

Retired
I would think that the bed being 8 feet, half of that (4 ft) would just about be half way Putting it right at the hitch.

You would think, but - the center of the hitch is about 52" from the front of the bed and about 45" from the tailgate.

truknutt

Committed Member
Okay Duane here's the deal; with 2 panels of the BakFlip tonneau folded I end up with 54.5" of covered area & 42.5" of open area (photo 1 & 2).

I travel with 3 panels flipped resting on the 4th resulting in 31" of covered area (photo 3 & 4).

Photo 5 is stake pocket to stake pocket for reference. The center of the hitch is slightly ahead of the axle centerpoint (wheelwell). I should have measured the actual distance but my once frost bitten fingers were screaming at me to finish up!

Photos 6 & 7 show the tonneau in the closed configuration. Note that there are actually 5 panels. #5 stays put and is approx 8.5" wide. The panels are different widths: starting at the tailgate #1 is 20", #2 & #3 are 20.25", #4 is 21.75" and #5 is 8.5" wide. Notice that there are joints in between the panels. There is a .5" rubber joint between panels 1 & 2 and panels 4 & 5. There is 2.5" aluminum & rubber joint between panels 2 & 3 and 3 & 4 allowing the panels to lay up and over the previous ones when stacked. Total inside length of my configuration is 96.75".

Bear in mind that this is mounted on a 2009 450 which may be slightly different from your fancy 2011 350.

Hope all this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_1318.JPG
    IMG_1318.JPG
    430.5 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1319.JPG
    IMG_1319.JPG
    385.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1321.JPG
    IMG_1321.JPG
    411.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1322.JPG
    IMG_1322.JPG
    416.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1323.JPG
    IMG_1323.JPG
    441.8 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1324.JPG
    IMG_1324.JPG
    443.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1325.JPG
    IMG_1325.JPG
    430.4 KB · Views: 61

2psnapod2

Looks really nice will the last section raise up to allow access to the front of the bed, just behind the cab or do you loose that area for a tank or toolbox?

truknutt

Committed Member
You can have a tank or toolbox BUT, you have to completely open the cover from the rear. :(

I was eye-ballin' this Fuelbox before I bought the Titan 67 gallon replacement tank. It's 19.5" tall (fits under the bedrails) & only 23.5" deep (tonneau has 31" of coverage when open in travel mode). It fills from the front, on the driver's side so opening the tonneau and the box aren't necessary. She holds 44 gallons. Who knows, I might add it later.

Attachments

• Zylstra Fuelbox.jpg
    Zylstra Fuelbox.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Zylstra Fuelbox2.jpg
    Zylstra Fuelbox2.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 45

porthole

Retired
Bear in mind that this is mounted on a 2009 450 which may be slightly different from your fancy 2011 350.

Fancy Schmancy 2011 has the same box I believe. Cab is the same, only the nose is different.
The more I see the Bakflip the more I like it, but I don't really care for the big 1st section. I plan on adding a toolbox there. Either my Weather Guard with out the lid or maybe making my own so that I can make use of all the usable space.

Thanks Dave, 'prreciate you getting all the frostbite and stuff.

But think of it as a prep for tomorrow :cool:

truknutt

Committed Member
Since you're thinking toolbox, have you looked at the Fold-a-Cover? Same hard tonneau idea as the Bakflip but the front panel allows access to a toolbox or their own "Personal Caddy".

The 2011 Ford products are advertised on their homepage.

2psnapod2

Since you're thinking toolbox, have you looked at the Fold-a-Cover? Same hard tonneau idea as the Bakflip but the front panel allows access to a toolbox or their own "Personal Caddy".

The 2011 Ford products are advertised on their homepage.[/QU

That is a very nice looking cover. But a price of $675 is a little out of my range.

porthole

Retired
Dave this search started after seeing the G4 Elite fold a cover.
Thier web contact doesn't work and no one answers the phone.
Best I can tell if you have it folded for trailer use you cannot get into the front section

I like the idea but what good is it if I need the electric impact and torque wrench to change a flat on the road
Not like I have ever done that .........

Lance & Jo

Dave this search started after seeing the G4 Elite fold a cover.
Thier web contact doesn't work and no one answers the phone.
Best I can tell if you have it folded for trailer use you cannot get into the front section

I like the idea but what good is it if I need the electric impact and torque wrench to change a flat on the road
Not like I have ever done that .........

Duane, I have one on an 8 foot bed with an external tank forward. To access the tank while towing you just need to partially unfold the top 3 sections (so they are propped open) and then open the forward section to get at the tank or a tool box.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have a solid "Snug Top" fiberglass solid bed cover from my 99 F350 8 foot bed I would like to sell if anyone wants to PM me we can talk about.

jnbhobe

I'm watching to see what you come up with Duane !! I want a cover I can use with a tool box tank combo. Hopefully some thing I can use with the trailer on and still fill the tank.

porthole

Retired
Jon, I'll be doing an in frame tank when available, so what I find might not be suitable for you. Did you see the tank Dave posted above?
On my GM I installed a 52 gallon tank. I found that more then sufficient for my needs. Might change my mind when we are finally able to travel cross country, but the 8' bed truck will allow a67 gallon tank. That should be good.

When the cross country time comes it would not really be that big of a deal to add a 30-40 gallon tank.
I would even consider having one made. For the price of the external tanks I have seen it might be cheaper to have a marine tank made. I had a 28 gallon tank made to my specs for our Boston Whaler. Cap, vents and pickup where I wanted them, fuel gauge and USCG certified for $525

jnbhobe

Not sure if a new truck is in the works or not right now. Looking to get down to one truck, right now I have one with 125K and one with 47K that we only use for towing. I am thinking 8ft bed and not sure of SRW or a Dually, I have to see if Patti will drive a dually. Can buy the combo box-tank for about $600. I have to get around not having a company truck first, that opens a can of worms for me at the moment. But I'm watching your progress.

schiller

We installed an Extang Revolution on our 2010 F-350. It has encased bows, no snaps and no rear rail to worry about. We have had it on the truck for a year now. Did have it blow out coming back last May in 45 mph head winds in Minnesota. Xtang replaced it and was great to work with. They did have to send me two replacements as the first one was not the correct cut for a Ford. They responded immediately and sent a replacement along with shipping labels to return the incorrect one.

jimtoo

Hi shiller,

Welcome to the the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

It's always good to hear about companies that work with and take care of their customers. I think you will find Heartland does the same.

Enjoy the forum and the Heartland Family is here for you if you need help.

Jim M

Warnerelli

Semper Fi
I am a big time believer in the Access line of covers and have had three installed on different trucks. The last one I installed is the Access Tool Box Edition Truck Cover that butts up to a tool box. The web site is: http://www.agricover.com/index.php/products/category/C31/. I believe this to be the cat’s meow of a tool box tonneau cover set up. You have access to the tool box without touching the tonneau and still have the fifth wheel hitch and contents covered when not in use. It rolls up effortlessly and is very simple to use. I have used mine towing a fifth-wheel now for about three years. Of course if you’re looking to tow a fifth-wheel then you want a low-profile box. Most low profile boxes have the latches on the back side facing the tailgate. If you use this tonneau cover then you cannot get to the latches. I have a low profile tool box with a pop-up "T" handle on top of the tool box on the driver’s side. This tool box is the Deflecta-Shield Seal Tite Low Profile Crossover Truck Toolbox.