Bed cover with 5th wheels - what are you using?

porthole

Retired
Trying to pick a tonneau cover for the new truck.
Looking at either a standard type vinyl roll up (not my first choice) or one of the folding types.

The G4 Elite Fold A Cover is very interesting but I can’t find anyone who has one on an eight foot bed.
http://www.foldacover.com/

Bakflip F1 also looks good.
http://www.bakflip-tonneau.com/features.asp?tabid=2

I would like to have some type of tool box in the bed, either my Weatherguard out of the Sierra or maybe even a “made to fit” plywood box under a cover. My Weatherguard an “inside” the bed box.

With the folding covers, can you fold them half way to use the hitch or do you have to fold them all the way to the rear window?

Anyone have either of the above two?

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
That's a great question. I am contemplating the same issue. Just bought a new 2010 F350 DRW and going to put a toolbox and a tonneau cover. Plan on going with a Mountain Master hitch. Was just looking at the different covers today. I am hoping to find one that will flip up to allow access to the toolbox and be folding. If I can't find one that will, I'll have to go with a roll up one. Would prefer the fold style.

jnbhobe

Duane; I have the Advance Cover I think their out of Michigan. I have one that is about 9yr old. If I get a new truck I want to put in a tool box and tank combo so now I'll have to find one I can use with that.

danemayer

I have a BakFlip G2 on my 2011 Sierra. I usually tow with it folded over to the last segment, but not up against the window. Either way it has to be strapped in place; I use bungie cords from the bed up over the folded cover segments to the anchors provided at the very front of the cover.

I chose the BakFlip over some other products because I didn't want to carry a separate key. The BakFlip relies on the tailgate lock. Many others have a separate lock and another key to carry. I really like having a single key for the truck doors, ignition, tailgate and bedcover.

I looked at some toolboxes that sit down inside the bed, but I couldn't find any attractive solutions. Even folded up against the window, the bed cover blocks access to the 1st 18" or so of the bed, so the toolbox wouldn't be able to be secured all the way to the front of the bed. The latches would have to be on the front surface of the toolbox. I wasn't picturing a very convenient setup. So I ended up with a couple of large tubs. I can lift them in and out of the bed without too much trouble. If I don't unhook overnight, I store the tubs in the backseat of the truck and in the trailer.

I also looked at a hard retractable rollup cover. There was one outfit that thought they could modify the installation rails, putting a toolbox at the very front of the bed and a shortened rollup cover behind it. But it looked like the toolbox, rollup housing, and hitch would have piecemealed the bed so much as to make it unusable for anything else.

One of the reasons I don't have to fold the BakFlip up against the window is that I have an 8' bed. So even if the BakFlip takes the first 24", then I still am no worse off than a shortbed without the BakFlip, and my Landmark should be able to make an 88 degree turn without touching the BakFlip. SHOULD be able to. I'm also comforted by the large vertical clearance between the bed rail and trailer. However, I've heard the 2011 F350s have less clearance than my GMC, so you may want to take a look at that.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I have the basic Laredo manual soft roll up on my truck. I looked at the folding hard tops, but didn't like the prices. For a tool box, I've got a large Rubbermaid hinged lid tool box that I've strapped to the tie-downs in the front of the bed, but I do have to roll the cover all the way to the window to hitch up. There is no mid-point for it. I'll be adding a Transfer-Flo 50 gal. tank to the truck, but it will fit under the cover.

porthole

Retired
Duane; I have the Advance Cover I think their out of Michigan. I have one that is about 9yr old. If I get a new truck I want to put in a tool box and tank combo so now I'll have to find one I can use with that.

I'll be going with a Titan tank when they come out in February. I was very happy with the Titan in my GMC, and that was only 52 gallons. The Ford will be 67.

I have seen a bed mounted box, think it was a fuel tank, that was built to allow a roll up cover canister to mount normal. Might be right up your alley.

dprince99

Hi Duane,
I had an Xtang tri-fold that is currently on craigslist, great cover but I recently installed an auxiliary tank & needed to access from front of the bed.
The only folding cover I could find that would fit my truck & provide front access was the Advance Cover.
I called Tom (the owner) & he even installed for free, In fact, I didn't like the lock on the back panel so sense he builds the covers there, he customized my cover with no external lock on the back panel & put the latch on the inside of the back panel(I lock with tailgate).
So far the cover is exactly what I needed.
Check em out at: http://www.advancedfoldingcover.com
Hope this helps,
Dave

Lance & Jo

I use a Fold A Cover and have an 8 foot bed on a dully and use a Reese 18K hitch which fits under the cover nicely. Have a KSH 50 gal tank but didn't opt for the tool box on top, but believe it would have worked OK as the height was the same. The cover folds up to behind the cab for towing and because of the way they fold it would not work "half way". I had this cover on my 03 Dodge and liked it so much that I brought it along to the new truck.

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Have had Extang R/T covers on 2 of my duallies and loved them. One of them was the R/T toolbox tonnau. Great very low profile cover and very easy to roll up and back. Bows are built in and roll up with the cover and when the cover is closed it's nice and tight without the "covered wagon" look with bows showing like many roll up covers. Just make sure the filler neck on the fuel tank is at or below the top of the bed if you go this route.

Had an Extang cover on one of my F150s too. Would buy one again.

TahoeCamper

Founding Nevada-North Chapter Leader-Retired
I have an Xtang roll-up cover and a Delecta-Shield sealtite crossbed low profile box. When I ordered from autoanything.com they shortened the tonneau cover to fit up against the tool box. Low profile and I can see the hitch from the drivers seat.

Rrloren

I had the Bak-flip originally but it didn't last , the side pieces kept coming off when folding , then finally the hinges broke and I had to trash it. Lasted about 18 months.
I now have the Advance cover and it seems pretty sturdy. Had it on over a year and it still works fine, it comes with tiedown straps when towing the 5th.

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
I have an Xtang roll-up cover and a Delecta-Shield sealtite crossbed low profile box. When I ordered from autoanything.com they shortened the tonneau cover to fit up against the tool box. Low profile and I can see the hitch from the drivers seat.

Autoanything.com is where I bought my last 2 Extang covers. They carry about 17 different brands of covers at good prices. Well worth a look here.

porthole

Retired
Duane, it looks like this might be your only option, if you want to travel with it partially open/closed. Looks like about a grand for it. This seller is in my area and installed my Loredo cover, hence the website.

http://www.4vehicleaccessories.com/RETRAX-Retractable-Tonneau-Cover_p_0-272.html

I have actually gotten to try one of these Jon. Very nice cover and very smooth. The construction type seems way better then what I will call the "Pace Edwards" style. I had one of the 1st PE covers in our area and all that aluminum rubbing on itself took its toll. Not very good for a $1200 cover at the time (early 90's). Will never buy another one of that type.

Problem with the ReTrax is I want a toolbox.

porthole

Retired
Autoanything.com is where I bought my last 2 Extang covers. They carry about 17 different brands of covers at good prices. Well worth a look here.

I had two different Extangs on my Sierra. 1st was the flip version. Worked great for what it was, but I wanted a toolbox..............................
2nd was a rolll style that fits with a toolbox. Also a great item. But I got rid of the toolbox and went with a hard fiberglass tonneau cover.

BTW, when I received my Extang I found a small less then 1/2" cut on one of the edges. I called Extang and had a new cover in 2 days.

I still have that new cover if someone needs a GM classic SB cover replacement

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Duane, I've recently seen Short box covers used on long beds mounted right behind a low profile tool box. Most tool boxes are 18" plus a 6'6" SB cover might do the trick. You could use that Extang cover you still have. There's one in our park. I'll try to get a picture of it today.

truknutt

Committed Member
Duane,

Like danemayer, I have the Bakflip G2 on the 450 and luv it. I chose a hard cover both for the "security" aspect & for the strength in winter when the ice/snow lays on it. There are times that I may not get a chance to clear it off for 2 to 3 days due to my work schedule. On the 8 foot bed the Bakflip folds in 4 sections. When hitched, the back 3 sections lay on the front 4th. The instructions state to not travel with the entire unit up against the back of the cab unless you are hauling furniture or the like that will hold it up. Even then it will rub the back of your cab without proper protection.

I can have an in-bed aux tank or tool chest under it. I think there is something like 20" of height to play with.

If you are into the retractable versions, Jim H. has the Retrax on his Dodge. It seems to glide very smoothly and it locks in MULTIPLE positions. He also has his in bed aux tank mounted under it. For functionality I would have chosen this one had I seen one in operation. For the ice/snow issue and smooth flush look, I went with the Bakflip.

SOOO Many choices! Good luck!

porthole

Retired
Duane, I've recently seen Short box covers used on long beds mounted right behind a low profile tool box. Most tool boxes are 18" plus a 6'6" SB cover might do the trick. You could use that Extang cover you still have. There's one in our park. I'll try to get a picture of it today.

Thanks Ray, but no picture needed. The cover that I have is a replacement cover only. I am not planning on an above rail toolbox with the truck, especially since i have a Weather Guard box in the garage.