Thread: Floor Vent / Thermostat Interactions

1. Print this Post   #1

Floor Vent / Thermostat Interactions

I noticed that each time the furnace started it only ran for a few minutes and shut off and then restarted again in a few minutes. It would go through maybe 4 cycles before the thermostat was satisfied and would then stay off for maybe 30 minutes or longer, depending how cold it was outside, before starting another set of cycles. I worried that something might be wrong with the furnance and some overheating limit switch was cutting it off. We only have 5 floor vents total in our 32RE, none directly in the bedroom. Although the 35 kBTU furnance keeps the unit nice and warm, in my opinion it was short cycling.
    I started looking at the vents and saw that each had a series of vanes, half pointing one way and the other half pointing the opposite. See photo.

2011-01-03_13-39-19_624 (800x600).jpg

We have one vent on the upper stairway landing, in the hallway, right about under the thermostat. I noticed that the rearward set of vanes seemed to point directly at the thermostat. See photo.

010311132559 (600x800).jpg

This shot was taken from the ceiling looking down in a line straight into the rear floor vent vanes. You can see the thermostat is right in line with the air blast from those vanes.

So I tried a simple experiment that seems to work perfectly. I placed a block, a note pad or shoe, over the half of the vent that blows directly at the thermostat, this is the set of vanes shooting down the stairway into the doorway area. This probably pushed a little more air up into the bedroom which was just fine. See photo.

2011-01-03_13-42-35_539 (800x600).jpg

This shot is also taken from the ceiling looking down on the stairway, see my feet.

This simple modification has made a big difference. When the furnance comes on it stays on and only cycles once for each heating period. The bedroom seems a little warmer too. When the furnance starts it needs to warm up and then the fan runs after the burner stops to cool down the heat exchanger. When the furnance is short cycling it is on a lot and it does make a bit of a loud noise.

Give it a try and see if your Greystone furnance runs more smoothly, and also runs less time, making less noise. You can place anything over the aft set of loovers, I have used a shoe most of the times...

I believe that the warm air blowing by the thermostat was heating it before the room was heated causing the thermostat to cut off the furnance early. Once the air was off the thermostate cools rapidly and restarts the furnance.

It would be interesting to see what the factory has to say about this.

jim

2. Print this Post   #2
    Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired 2psnapod2's Avatar

Re: Floor Vent / Thermostate Interactions

It certainly does look like the vent is blowing on the thermostat. I would think that Home Depot or Lowes or some other store like that would have a new vent that would have a flapper that could be shut off completely or divert it away from the stat.
    Michael and (Kelly) Barnett
    San Antonio TX
    HOC @1817
    2010 Ford F350 6.4 liter Lariat Dually FX4

2011 Inaugural MS/AL Rally- Newsite, MS
    2012 GA Rally- Elko, GA
    2012 Spring MS/AL Rally- Gulf Shore, AL

Follow us on our adventures!!! Our Blog Website is http://rvthereyetchronicles.wordpress.com/

3. Print this Post   #3

Quote Originally Posted by 2psnapod View Post
    It certainly does look like the vent is blowing on the thermostat. I would think that Home Depot or Lowes or some other store like that would have a new vent that would have a flapper that could be shut off completely or divert it away from the stat.

Have you seen anyone selling a 4x12" floor register that has vanes only pointing in one directing?

4. Print this Post   #4
    Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired 2psnapod2's Avatar

You could always go to a heating company. They have a large selection that they can order.
    Michael and (Kelly) Barnett
    San Antonio TX
    HOC @1817
    2010 Ford F350 6.4 liter Lariat Dually FX4

2011 Inaugural MS/AL Rally- Newsite, MS
    2012 GA Rally- Elko, GA
    2012 Spring MS/AL Rally- Gulf Shore, AL

Follow us on our adventures!!! Our Blog Website is http://rvthereyetchronicles.wordpress.com/

5. Print this Post   #5

I have a Sundance XLT, which has the vent directly under the thermostat, I purchased a new one a Lowe's that will redirect the air or close. It fixed the problem.
    2011 BIG HORN 3610RE
    TRAIL AIR PIN BOX
    2011 F-350, LARIAT, 4X4
    6.7 DIESEL
    TOW PACKAGE

6. Print this Post   #6
    Original Owners Club Member jmgratz's Avatar

Hey Heartland...poor design...needs to be changed....
    Jim & Sheila Gratz - owners club #1018 Workamping as Sales Associate with SE Publications Certified RV Walk-through Technician [/I] 2013 Landmark San Antonio - full body paint - Fulltimer pkg, Yetti pkg etc., Mor-Ryde IS with never lube bearings and disc brakes. --previous 5er - 2007 "Classic" Landmark "Golden Gate" Replaced 9/20/13 2012 Ford F350 King Ranch Crew Cab fx4 dually, 6.7 L Husky Trailer Saver TS2 hitch "visit TEXAS - it's like a whole 'nuther country" Rally Site 414

7. Print this Post   #7
    Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders TravelTiger's Avatar

http://www.dyersonline.com/rv-design...-register.html

We installed these. They have an adjustable damper that can angle the outflow or cut it off. (louvers still point the same directions as the old.)
    Erika Dorsey
    Founding
    Texas - West Chapter Leader
    Erika & Tony with two traveling cats, Mambo and Tango
    2016 Big Country 4010RD
    2010 ElkRidge 34QSRL (gone)
    2008 NorthTrail 21FBS (gone)
    2016 GMC Sierra SLT 3500 crew cab, long bed, DRW, 4X4
    B&W Companion 20K hitch, Reese 5th Airborne Pin Box, 507 TST, Torklift Glowstep Revolution Steps,
    MorRyde SRE4000, Winegard Trav'ler, Furrion High-Speed Observation Camera, SmartPlug 50amp Connector
    Visit our blog at http://mammothtravels.blogspot.com/
    HOC #1733