Full Timing in the winter

I am still looking at buying my 1st 5er. I think I have it narrowed down to 2 manufactures. Either the Big Horn 3670RL (Like the floor-plan) or Americana's GS 35/36. My question is this has anyone lived in their trailer in the winter in Northern New England? How did you make out and would you do it again. The reason for me asking this is that I plan on full timing it but as I am still working at a job that I love to do I can't just pick up and leave when the winter comes. And Connecticut and Rhode Island is way to expansive to buy a house to live in. And I want the freedom that if I get tired of one campground I can pickup and go somewhere else. Plus going on vacation I just take the house with me.

If I get the Big Horn I will be upgrading my truck to the 08 Ford F450.

Thanks,
Tom Gardner
2002 Ford F250 PSD
2005 Springdale 286RLDS

jpmorgan37

Tom;
I'll be honest with you. I don't think that any RV manufacturer will give you a positive response for living in a RV in New England in the winter. We lived in Connecticut and I remember people using 1000 gals of fuel oil and burning 10 cords of wood. If you were to hook up to a 250 gal propane tank, skirt the underneath, connect to a septic and well and have all the pipes heat taped and wrapped, you might survive, but I doubt you would be comfortable. You would be better off doing like most people up North do. Winterize your RV and live in a house or apartment. Just my opinion.

John

ChopperBill

I agree with JP. Be prepared to have the furnace run continuous if you are in any thing below 30 degrees. We just came back from AZ and were in a slight cold spell and went though 40 gallons ($80) of propane in 4 weeks and the temps were at times 70 during the day. We learned to keep the day/night shades down at night as even dual pane windows wont keep the cold out. You could get it nice and toasty when the furnace was running but the minute it shut off you could feel the cold. Maybe the HIGH end fifth wheels offer better winter protection but with the price of them you could purchase a small better insulated home in the cold climates.
I don't think I would "full time" in an RV unless I could "follow" the sun.

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

Tom
My wife and I full timed for almost a year. We spent the first week of Dec of 05 in Oklahoma with our daughter. The temps were down in the teens at night and only got up to just above freezing during the day. We went through alomst three forty lb tanks of propane in that week. It can be done but the expense is going to be high. Good Luck.
P.S. An F-450 is more truck than you will need to pull a Big Horn.

HappyKayakers

We're fulltiming in the Texas panhandle this winter. I've stuffed extra insulation everywhere I can see, insulated all roof vents, the vent over the stove, covered all ceiling AC vents, heat taped the fresh water hose and got a ceramic heater for the bedroom. Propane is paid for by the park since we're workamping here. Even with all that, we've had incoming water lines freeze. We also had the sewer hose fill with ice when we tried trickling the water overnight when temps were single digit at night. Had to replace all the sewer hose after that fiasco. Bottom line - we won't spend another winter in cold country in our 5er.