Thread: Hitch pin position

1. Print this Post   #1

Hitch pin position

I am currently installing my B&W hitch. I took the week off due to the weather. I got as far as drilling the 4" hole.

My question is this..... This hitch gives me approx. 9-12 different height and front to rear positions. I understand that I should set it up with a minimum 6" off the rails. But, what about the front to back postioning in relationship to the axle?

Any opinions??
    2006 3500RL - COOL unit, would buy again in a minute
    2000 watt Xantrex Inverter with 1000 remote panel, remote control fan,exterior CD/Radio speaker system, Goodyear Unisteel G614 tires, 2 Fantastic fans, Zaxis remote landing gear control, dual 6 volt Trojan T-105's, Toppers on all slideouts, Sharp portable AC unit

2007 Chevy Classic 3500 DRW- The Heartbeat
    Husky headache rack, 2 rear view camera, B&W turnover hitch, sprayin bedliner, AVIC/Z1 DVD navigation system, Viper remote start & alarm, Husky 5th wheel tailgate, Husky mud guards, chrome simulated wheel covers, Crossfire tire equalization system, Challanger gull wing tool box, Westin Bull bars, PIAA driving lights , Surco luggage rack

Added recently-50 gallon spare fuel tank w/ toolbox in truck bed, front 2'' hitch for bike rack, Computer tower system in 5th wheel, 2 klik clak couches, Carefree power awning arms

2. Print this Post   #2

Generally, from over the axle to 2-3 inches in front of it. Most hitches will specify the location, or give you the limits.

Clark and Gail Thompson
    2003 GMC 3500 Duramax/Allison, 4x4, CC LB
    2006 Mt Rushmore #2896

3. Print this Post   #3

TDHarley.. The last truck,a Ford 350,had the pivot point of the hitch about 3 in forward of the axel. That truck and trailer(jayco 35') rode like a cloud.. The present truck, a Dodge 3500, Has the pivot point about 1" forward of the axel, This was specified in the Reese/Drawtite instructions . Furthermore the brackets use some existing holes in the frame to locate the front/back position.The big horn does not ride as well.. Granted there are 2 different installations , But I feel my present ride would be improved if the hitch could be moved forward 2 or 3 in. It would help in weight ditribution as well by adding some more weight to the front axel, which has plenty of weight carring capacity left.
    The Bighorn ride is not objectionable ,just not as smooth. All dishes and furniture stay in place.

4. Print this Post   #4

TD....I was just looking at the install instructions but I don't see many choices on install location. They give one very specific dimension fron the back edge of the bed to drill your 4" hole, then that sets everything else.

I looked at the 5th wheel companion istructions and did not see any choices for location except over the center post. Like you say there is no reference to relation with the axel.

I'm interested because I am having the same hitch installed in a couple of weeks when I pickup my new rig.

Maybe you should call their support line.

5. Print this Post   #5

Hey TD,

I looked again at the companion instructions and I do see there are three choices front to back and three vertically....Let us know what you end up doing.

6. Print this Post   #6

For what its worth, Ive been thinking my truck would ride better if more weight was forward. At the scales, my front axle would move only a few pounds, with the rig on or off. I finally got around to making some mods, moving it only 1.5" forward. Its not night and day difference, but I do think things are better.

But then again, there is a 25% chance, its all in my head.

TimK
    3400 rl 3500 ram

7. Print this Post   #7

I was at the International Ag Expo today in Tulare, CA and found the B&W factory rep there. He had a great cutaway display, he said when the turnover ball is properly mounted it will be 4" in front of the axle centerline. The hitch pin of the 5th wheel companion will then end up anywhere from 1" to 3" in front of axle centerline depending on which mount holes you use, it will never end up on top of axle.

I guess in the end it is a metter of preference whether you go with 1" or 3".

Hope this helps.