Bighorns with Mor-Ryde

DennisZ

Scott or Coley
For those of us with Bighorns with the Mor-Ryde suspension, do they also need the bracing that is being done to the Landmarks, and if not, why not?? They seem to have the same mechanism and frame.

Thanks
Dennis

ChopperBill

Oops! What bracing? Mine is still at the dealer on its 4th warranty trip. I dont want to bring it home if something else is going to have to be done.

K

Ken Washington

ChopperBill,
Jim posted earlier today about Heartland's recall. Check it out!

Ken

Scott

The Mor/Ryde recall effected a limited number of Landmark coaches, which had a different suspension system than the one on the Bighorn. It is my understanding that this recall is adding steel to a suspension system that was certified and already passed stress tests under normal conditions. The problem we had with it was that under "abnormal" conditions of extreme stress (like driver-induced, uncommon stress put on the suspension system either by driving over or through something, or even losing a tire and continuing to drive for a number miles, etc.) the steel bars that Heartland added helped eliminate the system getting out of shape. When that Mor/Ryde system first came out, we were told that we didn't need the extra bracing that we had used on previous Mor/Ryde sytems, because the hangers weren't nearly as tall. But some customers who accidentally put extreme stress on their suspension system proved that wrong. So not only did Heartland start adding the extra bars, but we made sure that Mor/Ryde also paid for the same extra bracing to be retrofitted on those Landmark units that were in the field already with that suspension. Both dealers and customers with the VIN#s effected were sent notices. And many have had the extra bracing added. Again, under normal conditions, the suspension works fine - but these added braces really help protect the suspension system when uncommon stress is incurred. Hope that clears up any confusion about what this is and which coaches it effected.
ST

K

Ken Washington

I looked at the difference in mine and the ones in the pictures of the recall and I can see why they are doing it! My unit was made before the change and it already has one cross brace and the brackets are much larger with more weld points. Glad to see that Heartland is doing the right thing! Keep up the good work and keep us safe!

Ken