Reducing water pressure with a garden hose y adapter

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
I would not recommend it. They Y doesn't regulate pressure just direction from 1 hose to another. CW has an adjustable pressure regulator but you need to be careful on how high you take it. I can't remember what the highest pressure can be but I think that it is somewhere around 55-60 PSI. I could be wrong. For the shower we use an Oxygenics shower head and it works great.

Buford445

All you can adjust with that is the water Volume not Pressure. It took me a long time to know the difference between pressure and volume. More Volume at a given pressure is what your looking for at the shower

patrick1945

Which head did you purchase?

I would not recommend it. They Y doesn't regulate pressure just direction from 1 hose to another. CW has an adjustable pressure regulator but you need to be careful on how high you take it. I can't remember what the highest pressure can be but I think that it is somewhere around 55-60 PSI. I could be wrong. For the shower we use an Oxygenics shower head and it works great.

patrick1945

I certainly don't know the difference.

All you can adjust with that is the water Volume not Pressure. It took me a long time to know the difference between pressure and volume. More Volume at a given pressure is what your looking for at the shower

Buford445

You can have 40# of pressure in a 1/2" line and if your putting out 2 gal a minute you don't have much of a shower But if your putting out 4 gal a minute at 40# you have a lot better shower

Crumgater

In a trimmed down version...
Flow (volume) = Cross-sectional Area x Change in Pressure

If you shut one of the Y valves part way, you decrease the area. The change in pressure is still the same (from system pressure upstream to atmosphere at the faucet), so you end up dropping flow.

Once you turn off the flow at the faucet, the system pressure will all stabilize at the upstream system pressure (if you don't have a regulator) - which may be higher that you want in the RV.

Based on this... to increase flow to the faucet/shower, you need a bigger pipe...
... or larger opening (i.e. faucet/shower head) at the end.

Buford445

Or a way to increase Flow.......I had a better shower with the on board water holding tank because the pump had higher flow

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Your problem may not be the water pressure. If you have the barrel regulator you will likely be only getting 2-2.5 Gallons Per Minute throughput.

What I use is the following
http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/images/N55BG.jpg
Watts Brass Model N55BG Adjustable Regulator, 1.5" diameter 0-160 gauge, 6-9 gpm
http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/PressureRegulators.htm

I have no problem taking a shower or washing dishes..

BC
Check out the water hoses.. I ordered a 36ft hose and have never had to add any extension to reach the Shore water.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I would follow Bobcats advice and get an adjustable regulator. I keep mine set at 60 psi.
As for the kitchen faucet, take the spray head apart and check for debris.

Peace
Dave

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Most of the faucets have flow regulators. I have taken mine out and have great flow not. Also debris will stop up the flow regulators too. This is the part that screws onto the part of the faucet where the water comes out.

caissiel

I have 40Psi at the hose and we still have volume problems in our trailer, I have a feeling that the screen at the city water inlet might have something to do with it. The previous trailer with the same pressure reducer and no screen was great and now we have problems. I will be removing it and see if it makes a difference, we have a filter now installed anyway.

Stinger381

Most of the faucets have flow regulators. I have taken mine out and have great flow not. Also debris will stop up the flow regulators too. This is the part that screws onto the part of the faucet where the water comes out.
Where would that flow regulator be located ??? My water pressure is extremely low in the kitchen and bathroom sing but it's pretty nice in the shower ??

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Where would that flow regulator be located ??? My water pressure is extremely low in the kitchen and bathroom sing but it's pretty nice in the shower ??

Take the stainer off the faucet. The flow restrictor is in there.