Portable gas grills

Midastouch

I am in the market for a new portable gas grill and trying to decide which one to get. I have looked at the Weber Q and the Coleman grills that can be put on a stand and used with a 20lb. tank and hose adapter. I read that the coleman grill has a removable lid so the grill can be used with large pots/skillets, etc... for cooking outside. I'm not sure about the weber doing that but I have enjoyed cooking outside on a gas cooktop the toyhauler had.

If anyone has one of these and can give a little review on what they think , I would appreciate it. I would like to know what brand and model and what accessories you have or wish you had to make it worth having!

Thanks!

K

Ken Washington

Lynne,
I have the Weber Q and love it! I do not have a stand, just set it on a picnic table. I do use a tank with hose adapter instead of the small screw on tanks. It is easy to clean and I like the heavy grill surface.

Ken

The RV-Ramblers

BigHorn Owners
Lynne,
We have the Weber Q200 and are very happy with it. There is an optional griddle available for it. We plan to get the griddle and the hookup that Ken has so that we can connect to our RV LP tanks. This connection requires that the connection be made on the high pressure side before the LP regulator as the grill has the regulator built into it.

Cooper

We love the Webb I caught a sale at lowes on the small gas bottles at .34 each and bought 3 cases. I am set for life. Camping World charges around $7.00 for 2 bottles.
Buy a Webber what ever size you get you can not go wrong.

Cheryl

I bought the Weber last summer. It's a great grill. We use the little bottles for now.

DennisZ

Got one just loke Chopper Bill, Lowes is the only place that sells them, (company is woned by Lowes). They are really nice for the price. CW has a similar unit for over 2X the price. had mine for about 2 years.:)

ct0218

I have had the one from Lowes and currently the one from CW. I can tell you the Lowes grill, at half the price, is also half the grill. I threw it away after 1 1/2 years of use. The CW is a better grade of stainless, ALL stainless, better construction, and cooks much better.

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
We have the Weber Baby Q as well and love it. We also use a larger tank as the bracket for the small tank only fit the long narrow propane tubes used for torches as opposed to the coleman canisters.../Doug

jbeletti

Another vote for the Weber Baby Q. I also have the external propane tank adapter/hose. I use a 20# tank with it and I have the stand and the rolling duffle.

Jim

Tom of Ypsi

I have the Coleman Roadtrip grill, the oldr model (blue) and yes the lid does come off. About the only drawback to it is the use of water in the bottom to stop grease fires. I eliminated this by using very little water then putting aluminum foil down to catch the grease, work great. I have all of the grates, grids and griddle you could possibly want. We love it but it is bigger the the Weber. I did find the Weber Q 1000 for $129 and the Weber Q 220 for $149 around here. I think CW is selling the Q220 for $179 or $199.

J

Jim_1899

Now at the Ralley we have to have a BBQ night and everyone has to fire up the grills. I can almost smell the smoke of the grills as I imagine sitting outside in the fairgrounds. Porksteaks, hamburgers, brauts, dogs, steak, chicken....

Westwind

Weber

Have a Weber Baby Q, with the stand. I also got the
valve so I can use a tank. I have some small ones for
just in case but the big tank is nice. I like getting the
cast iron grill nice and hot. Once our big grill at home
dies this is it, it's that good.:)

5erWonk

Thanks everybody, I've been wondering about the Baby-Q, sounds like the way to go. I've been using a small squat 2gal propane tank for my old gas grill and it work great plus takes up very little room....Guess I don't need to worry about room anymore once I pickup the new rig. Nine days and counting.

madigand

I have the new version of the Coleman road trip grill. I really like being able to put the fire on 1 side and cook on the other side. The Webber Grills do not offer this option. It boils down to a matter of how you cook, directly over the flame or smoking. JMHO

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I've heard a lot of good about the Weber Q and would have bought one but I'm too cheap. I've had an Olympian for the last 17 years. The first one lasted 16 years until the smoker plate was too far gone (rust). I just bought my second one from Camping world $80. The decision was based on space more than cost. the weber uses a lot of space for the handles on either side. That's my nickel

BluegrassMan

Guy's n' Gals:
Now I really feel cheap, I have a Sunbeam table top I got at Wally World for $19.99, it's getting old gotta get a new one. I did see a pretty nice stainless steel one @ Dick's Sporting goods, I also saw Stainless Coolers there too. You may have to wait till spring till they put them back out.

phranc

We have the Baby Q.. Wish the flame turned down a little lower.. The grease pan is the same size as our local Chinese Take out containers. Makes for a cheap throw away. Semms to be a well made and sturdy cooker.Had ours for a couple of years with no problems..

Uncle Rog

We use a grill from cabela's it is stainless steel and pretty much bullet proof, we use it with the coleman tank stand / lantern set up. We also have a charcoal smoker we use on longer stays that will smoke anything until the meat drops off the bone. One other thought, cabela's sells an adapter that allows you to fill the 1# bottles from a 20#er or better,costs about 25cts to fill one........UR