Service information for a NT - 24-RBS

TeJay

Hi to all,
I hope this is in the correct location???

We just ordered our NT-24RBS and I'm searching the forums to get ideas & information. What type of manuals or literature will we get when we pick up the trailer? We have had two motor homes but I don't know what Heartland will do. I'm sure each manufacturer for the appliances will have some literature but since I'm a retired automotive instructor I'm mainly concerned with the mechanical parts of the trailer, like the brakes, suspension, axles, electrical wiring schematics, fuse box locations, etc. Our dealer will be 2-hours from us & over the next (warranty) year there may be some items that I can at least troubleshoot &/or perhaps fix until we can get to the dealer. Even new stuff may have issues & I want to make sure everything is always working up to par. It's always easier fixing some things at home where all the tools & stuff is located.

If the stuff I mentioned is not available for the trailer where can one get that kind of info? I know in the automotive area service/repair manuals & now DVD's are also available from the manufacturer's.

Thanks,
TeJay

DavidB.

Mr. Tejay,

Since this post, I presume that you have taken delivery of your new NT 24RBS.

Just to satisfy my own curiosity, what manuals were included with the trailer?

Thanks in advance,

DavidB.

TeJay

David,
The usual, that is each manufacturer of something installed in your rig will have some sort of a manual and some are better than others. The manuals will have some information in them but like manuals you get with stuff you buy at HD they vary considerably. Heartland also provides a somewhat generic manual which talks about the trailer in general.
The reason I started the thread is we owned a Dutch Star motor home by Newmar and it came with two binders of manuals and information. The manual provided by Newmar was specific to our coach with wiring diagrams and everything. It was as detailed as I ever needed and we owned it for 10 years. There were a few times when I had to call the dealer and they provided me with even more specific wiring diagrams.
We have learned that the TT industry is not as thorough as the MH industry. I was shocked (no pun intended) when I discovered that most TT's don't come with shock absorbers. I asked why and was told that you don't ride in your trailer so why install shocks. Shocks dampen coil or leaf spring oscillations. Why wouldn't you want those oscillations stopped or reduced so that the bouncing of your trailer won't get transferred to your TV??? I have installed shocks on the 24-RBS.
I'm somewhat disappointed at the lack of information that is provided. I am a DIY'er so I like to have information available so I can modify if needed. This forum will give you waaaaay more information than the dealer or manufacturer probably ever will. Check out the web sight called (modmyRV). There's a lot of stuff on there and also other people who can answer questions. That's where I got a lot of info for the shock installation. In my case I had some gas lines running very close to where I had to install the mounts so a standard aftermarket shock kit would not have worked.

TeJay

TeJay

David,
I forgot to tell you this bit of info that I learned here. At the top of the page on the Heartland Owners Forum you'll see a tab marked, "Tools." Click on that and drop down to heartland manuals. You'll find some good stuff there. Also just Google say Lippert axles, or, Trailer magnetic brakes, and you'll find a lot of stuff.

TeJay

DavidB.

Tejay,

Thank you for your advice and detailed response, very informative.
Will check out modmyrv.

Btw, this is a great site.

Thanks Tejay,

DavidB.