Ford Problem

merlinb

Retired
I have recently noticed several members expressing interest in Ford's new line of heavy duty duty pickups; specifically the F-450. So, you might also be interested in a little family feud that is brewing between Ford and Navistar International, who is the exclusive supplier of Ford's Power Stroke diesel engines. It seems this started back in January when Ford filed suit against Navistar for raising the price of the engines, "without adequate explanation or support for its actions." According to Navistar, Ford then stopped paying for the engines that were being shipped so Navistar announced Monday that it was shutting down its engine plant in Indianapolis and reducing the output of the Huntsville, AL, plant. Navistar said that Ford apparently thinks they shouldn't have to pay for the increased costs associated with making the engines compliant with the 2007 EPA requirements.

You can read Navistar's version of the dispute here: http://tinyurl.com/2vkes9

I don't know if this means that you should rush out and try to get one while they are still available or if you should wait and see how this plays out. Obviously, if they don't settle this thing soon, it is going to adversely affect the availability of diesel powered Ford pickups.

nhunter

I think that this goes back to the 6.0l fiasco and the incedible amount of warranty claims that Ford got. They want $ from International still. Hope they figure it out soon. Maybe they should repo the Cummins from Dodge.;)

BluegrassMan

Guy's:
I'd just as soon have the CAT that they put in the 650's, I think also you can get a Cummins in them too. I know where I just retired from, Mack Trucks Engine/Transmission plant, there wasn't all that much that they had to change, Cooled EGR etc. Navistar though had twin turbos to develop along with the EPA crap.

randes

OK you guys are making me nervous!! I just ordered a 2008 F-350 on Feb 19th to go with my new 3055 also on order. It's going to be a little hard to pick up my 5er without a motor in my truck. :( We'll maybe it's going to be OK. The Ford dealer called 2 days ago with my VIN #. Hope that means everything is going well for me. :rolleyes:

Tom of Ypsi

There is no delay in building FMC trucks at this moment. I do not think there Ford will let any delays happen, this is one of the few vehicles in their lineup that is selling and making money.

randes

Thanks Tom for the encouraging words. I feel that this 2008 truck is going to be a great truck. I am betting on the fact that Ford has done it's homework well enough that it will not have the same fisaco as they had in 2003. Roy

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
randes said:
Thanks Tom for the encouraging words. I feel that this 2008 truck is going to be a great truck. I am betting on the fact that Ford has done it's homework well enough that it will not have the same fisaco as they had in 2003. Roy
Roy,any word on when your truck will arrive at your dealer?

nhunter

If you watch the video on the Ford website they have been testing this engine since late 2003 on the north slope ina joint venture with BP. They essentially say they can't afford another 6.0l type disaster. It seems they are willing to delay launches (Lincoln MKX, Ford Edge) to get it right the first time. The new guy they got from Boeing seems to have the plan.

BluegrassMan

nhunter:
Did you see in the video, the turning radius of the Ford 450 in comparison to GM,Dodge? I was impressed. The DW says as soon as we can get squared away $$$wise, it's a "GO". She knows we NEED it BAD.

nhunter

I had an 04 F-350 4x4 and there is an unbelievable difference compared to my 06 F-350. I would guess about a 5' sharper circle for the 06. I can't wait to drive an 08 now. Thanks you probably just cost me about 65k;)

On edit: I noticed that they didn't phone and ask me to test one.

Last edited:

merlinb

Retired
Update

Here is an update from "Light & Medium Truck" magazine:

Navistar to Resume Building Diesel Engines for Ford

Just three days after saying it would suspend producing diesel engines for Ford Motor Co., Navistar International Corp. said it would resume production because of a court order from a Michigan judge.

Navistar said it will resume production of Power Stroke diesel engines used by Ford in its heavy duty pickup truck line.

Navistar is the parent company if International Truck and Engine Corp., which makes Class 4-8 diesel engines.

Under the court order, Ford will be required to pay, without deductions, for all diesel engines it receives from International, the company said. L&MT

I guess this means there are no more free engines for Ford.;)

nhunter

If they were getting free engines the right thing to do would be to knock $10000off price of truck to match.;)