Onan 5500 LP Generator Problems

Rodbuster

Thank you for your comments Dan.
I do have the factory gen. prep. I understand what you mean about the operating cost.
We decided on the gen. a few weeks ago when we traveled up to New Hampshire from Florida. We stayed over in N.C. and also in Pa. The temperatures inside the RV when we arrived at the campgrounds were over 100 degrees and it took a "VERY" long time to get the unit cooled. Made for a uncomfortable evening.
If I would have had the gen., we could have started the AC a couple of hours before arriving.

Rodbuster

danemayer

You know, I also thought that running the A/C for the last 2 hours before we got to the campground would give us a cool living room when we arrived. I tried it on a hot day earlier this summer with poor results.

I'm experimenting with the A/C units a bit. I'm running the front A/C on high fan with the set point at 64 so the compressor doesn't shut off. I have a small fan hanging on the bathroom hallway door to move air from the front A/C into the living room. This misleads the hallway thermostat for the living room A/C so I have that set to 70 or a bit lower with the fan on Auto. The combination is cooling the living room noticeably faster. The bonus is that the living room A/C switches to low speed much sooner reducing the noise level. We set up about 2 hours ago with the outside thermometer reading 97. The living room is comfortable now and the A/C is on low. Outside temp is still at 90.

With the old settings, it would have been running on high for at least another 90 minutes.

hfellis

I am not sure about a propane problem, but when I had this problem it was the transfer switch. Once the switch was bypassed by a certified tech. it ran without any problems. my rv is brand new and I found out there was a recall on the switch. Maybe worth a check.