Inverter install -- can I just unplug the converter?

watchthebox

I'm installing a Magnum MS2012 inverter, which has built in battery charger, in my 2011 Cyclone 3010.

I think I've got the AC wiring side figured out, but I want to make sure I'm on the right track with regards to the DC connections. My understanding is that all I need to do on the DC side is connect the inverter/charger to the batteries with appropriate large cables (2/0) and fuse/breaker. Then can I just unplug the AC plug of the existing stock converter charger and leave it otherwise unchanged with it's DC connections in place? That would be easier if I ever want to sell my Cyclone and keep the inverter.

Thanks.

caissiel

The Trailer converter has up to 60 Amp DC power available to the DC circuit for the trailer including up to 60 Amp charging capacity for the batteries.

Will the new inverter supply that much DC power while plugged in alone supplying the trailer DC circuit.

revision I guess it does over 60 amps

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I guess I don't understand. You run the inverter off the 12V battery. It provides 120V AC and 12V DC power to the rig, and also charges the battery it's drawing power from at the same time. Why does this sound like a perpetual motion machine?

wyleyrabbit

John,

I would hope that such an expensive inverter/charger would be smart enough to not try to charge the batteries while it isn't connected to AC.

Chris

JohnDar

John,

I would hope that such an expensive inverter/charger would be smart enough to not try to charge the batteries while it isn't connected to AC.

Chris

One would hope that is the case. I must have gotten confused by the original post and what I thought the function of an inverter was. This thing sounds like a combo unit of some kind.

watchthebox

The Trailer converter has up to 60 Amp DC power available to the DC circuit for the trailer including up to 60 Amp charging capacity for the batteries.

Will the new inverter supply that much DC power while plugged in alone supplying the trailer DC circuit.

revision I guess it does over 60 amps
From what I understand, the Magnum Inverter/Charger can output up to 100A DC.

watchthebox

One would hope that is the case. I must have gotten confused by the original post and what I thought the function of an inverter was. This thing sounds like a combo unit of some kind.
Yeah, I believe it only charges the batteries when connected to shore power or the generator is running.

porthole

Retired
Cyclones come with an 80 amp converter. Unless Heartland changed the standard equipment it is a Progressive Dynamics PD9280, 80 amp, with a built in "charge wizard". The charge wizard makes it a "smart converter" (for charging purposes).
This is a good product, and one I would buy if I needed a new charger – converter in a trailer.

It is a “converter” because it supplies enough DC amps to run the “house” systems.
A straight battery charger will be sized to approximately 10% of the battery capacity, 10-15 amps might be typical

Converter = 120 Volts AC in – DC volts out
Inverter = 12 volts DC in – 120 volts AC out

Niehetre are 100% efficient. Most inverters also double as a battery charger. Better units will have multi stage charging.

The unit you picked looks pretty good, the specs are anyway. 100 amps DC output with a 5 stage charging feature.

An auto transfer switch is available and might be desirable if your application can use it. Personally, if I was ordering new I would get the transfer switch. If you have a genny you can also tie the genny start into the system (optional).

porthole

Retired
I guess I don't understand. You run the inverter off the 12V battery. It provides 120V AC and 12V DC power to the rig, and also charges the battery it's drawing power from at the same time. Why does this sound like a perpetual motion machine?

John, when connected to shore power it is a heavy duty battery charger and supplies 12 volts to the house systems.
Unplug from the shore power and it reverses itself for lack of a better term. The inverter will now be supplied 12 Volts DC from the batteries and output 120 volts AC. It will not do both at eh same time.

JohnDar

John, when connected to shore power it is a heavy duty battery charger and supplies 12 volts to the house systems.
Unplug from the shore power and it reverses itself for lack of a better term. The inverter will now be supplied 12 Volts DC from the batteries and output 120 volts AC. It will not do both at eh same time.

Got it. Must be time for another brain cell roll call. I think some may have missed the last muster.