Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dodge Cummins 48re replacement Transmission.

1. Print this Post   #1

Dodge Cummins 48re replacement Transmission.

Who makes the best, beefed up, 48re replacement Transmission in everyone's opinion?
    Looking for something to handle in the neighborhood of 400hp with a 14,000 trailer.
    Also, are there any adapters out yet to put a 6 speed Allison or Aisin/auto with a 5.9 Cummins? Thanks Trace
    Trace and Teri
    Goodgirl, Hana and Justine
    Founding Utah Chapter Leaders

2. Print this Post   #2

Re: Dodge Cummins 48re replacement Transmission.

Go to this site it has some real good info. on Dodge trucks. I put a shift kit and a triple disk torque converter in mine and it made a world of difference. www.dieseltruckresource.com
    Jim & Pat 2010 3410re Bighorn
    2003, Patriot Blue, Quad Cab, SB, SRW, SO, 48 RE Transmission, 373 Gear, Stock Wheels, Tires and Exhaust. (Mods) Tone Ring, Edge Juice/Monitor, Silencer Ring Removed, High Volume Filter, 4" Hole In Bottom Of Air Box, Torque Tube Baffle Removed, Dave's Tank Vent, Mystery Switch D.G tc, Trans Go shift kit and trans. gauge.

3. Print this Post   #3

Check with DDT, Sun Coast, and Dodge has a beefed up one that they sell out of their performance side.
    If you aren't in trouble or causing no trouble, you aren't having any fun!! And I am having a blast!!!
    How about you??
    2014 Ram, 3500, Laramie, Crew Cab, 4 X 4, DRW, Stock 6.7, Aisin, 3.73, Lights & Siren
    "Classic" 06 Landmark Mt. Rushmore, Mor-Ryd, Trail Air Air Pin, and a few improvements

4. Print this Post   #4
    Southeast Regional Director, HOC davebennington's Avatar

There are several good transmission rebuilder's Blumnthal Mfg. BD Diesel, ATS diesel
    performance just to name a few.As far as the Aisin/auto with a 5.9 Cumins conversation I do not think that will occur any time soon because of the difference in the on board computer system.

In my opinion the ATS system has the best product out there right now.

Dave
    Southeast Region Director Heartland Owners Club HOC #1006. 2006 Ram 3500 White Laramie, New: 2015 Landmark 365 - Landmark/Ashland Old: 2006 "Classic Landmark" Heartland/Golden Gate #583. Passport America

Is the Heartland Owners Club for you????
    Click Here

5. Print this Post   #5
    Past Heartland Ambassador kakampers's Avatar

We had an ATS transmission built for our '98 Dodge Cummins....unbelievable tranny!!! They actually guaranteed it against absolutely anything except "sled pulling". I would recommend them to anyone...great transmission, service and customer care!! We actually took the truck directly to them in Aurora, CO. Took about 4 days for the build, and they had us back on the road.

We did this proactively, before the original tranny failed...just wanted to be safe towing a large trailer around on a fulltime basis...unfortunately, when we moved to the 5er, the Dodge just wasn't enough truck in our opinion...
    Ken & Kathy - H.O.C. #1077
    '15 Chevy 3500HD LTZ 2WD DRW Long Bed w/Nav, Sunroof, Curt 24Q, WIFI, Rear Ent., Sprayed liner, Deep Ruby Metallic!
    '2013 Landmark Key Largo, Fullbody Paint and virtually every option PLUS Mor Ryde IS and Disc Brakes - Our Dream Coach!!

6. Print this Post   #6

ATS is not the same as it was 10 years ago. Most of their new stuff is complete junk. I can't speak for the Dodge stuff, but for the 4R100 for the Ford 7.3, the warranty is horrible on the transmission and they are known as the "purple t^@d." Your best bet is to go onto a Cummins blog and see what the best builders are in the country. Or, you can call Brian's Truck Shop (BTS) in AR and ask Brian who makes the best built tranny. Brian supposedly has a connection on 48re, he doesn't build them himself. ATS is just mail order stuff that is WAY overpriced. A BTS tranny for a Ford will run less than an ATS tranny and have a lifetime warranty, not matter what. ATS has all sorts of disclaimers for any sort of tuning you may have done. It will void your warranty. John Wood Transmissions and BTS are the best for Ford transmission, and they will also refer you to the best Dodge guy out there. I would call them and see who they recommend. Good luck!
    Dave and Laura
    2011 F350 6.7 PSD, 4x4 SRW CC, Lariat Ultimate
    20K Reese Signature Hitch
    2011 Road Warrior 30C

7. Print this Post   #7
    Past Heartland Ambassador kakampers's Avatar

We dealt with ATS in July of 2005...that's when we rebuilt our tranny. Can't say how they actually are today...but they were fine then.
    Ken & Kathy - H.O.C. #1077
    '15 Chevy 3500HD LTZ 2WD DRW Long Bed w/Nav, Sunroof, Curt 24Q, WIFI, Rear Ent., Sprayed liner, Deep Ruby Metallic!
    '2013 Landmark Key Largo, Fullbody Paint and virtually every option PLUS Mor Ryde IS and Disc Brakes - Our Dream Coach!!

8. Print this Post   #8

Yeah, they were acquired around that time, maybe a little later. They had/have all sorts of quality issues. I ordered a Compressor housing from them for my 7.3 and the quality was absolutely horrible. I had to drive over there and have it replaced with one that wasn't much better. They may do a better job on their Dodge trannys but the Ford ones are bad news. Biggest problem is warranty and tuners don't mix with them.
    Dave and Laura
    2011 F350 6.7 PSD, 4x4 SRW CC, Lariat Ultimate
    20K Reese Signature Hitch
    2011 Road Warrior 30C

9. Print this Post   #9

as mentioned ats has changed over the last couple years. I would go with a DTT or suncoast. I would never spend the money for an allison conversion. The 48re is a great tranny when built a little. for about 3k, you could have a tranny that will hold 400 hp and 14k lbs easy. if you dont mind spending some extra money, go with billet input, intermediate and output shaft.

brett
    Brett (Proud Daddy) And Lindsay

Dogs/Kids:

Cash Travis! Born Aug 13
    Colton-Rhodesian Ridgeback
    Emma-Grey hound mix

2012 Dodge 3500 4x4 Longhorn DRW
    Max Tow-91 Gallon RDS-B&W-GN Tool Box

2011 Cyclone 3010 HD

10. Print this Post   #10

Thanks everybody. Mine isn't gone, but I'm getting some slippage readings on my Banks PDA.
    Has anyone ever heard of Goerend in Iowa? Some people say they are up there with Suncoast as among the best. I have e-mailed both of these to see if I have to go to them or if they have authorized dealers. No response yet.
    My back won't allow me to do it myself.
    Trace and Teri
    Goodgirl, Hana and Justine
    Founding Utah Chapter Leaders

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast