Dodge Cummins 48re replacement Transmission.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Who makes the best, beefed up, 48re replacement Transmission in everyone's opinion?
Looking for something to handle in the neighborhood of 400hp with a 14,000 trailer.
Also, are there any adapters out yet to put a 6 speed Allison or Aisin/auto with a 5.9 Cummins? Thanks Trace

hoefler

Check with DDT, Sun Coast, and Dodge has a beefed up one that they sell out of their performance side.

davebennington

There are several good transmission rebuilder's Blumnthal Mfg. BD Diesel, ATS diesel
performance just to name a few.As far as the Aisin/auto with a 5.9 Cumins conversation I do not think that will occur any time soon because of the difference in the on board computer system.

In my opinion the ATS system has the best product out there right now.

Dave

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We had an ATS transmission built for our '98 Dodge Cummins....unbelievable tranny!!! They actually guaranteed it against absolutely anything except "sled pulling". I would recommend them to anyone...great transmission, service and customer care!! We actually took the truck directly to them in Aurora, CO. Took about 4 days for the build, and they had us back on the road.

We did this proactively, before the original tranny failed...just wanted to be safe towing a large trailer around on a fulltime basis...unfortunately, when we moved to the 5er, the Dodge just wasn't enough truck in our opinion...

6.7powerstroke

ATS is not the same as it was 10 years ago. Most of their new stuff is complete junk. I can't speak for the Dodge stuff, but for the 4R100 for the Ford 7.3, the warranty is horrible on the transmission and they are known as the "purple t^@d." Your best bet is to go onto a Cummins blog and see what the best builders are in the country. Or, you can call Brian's Truck Shop (BTS) in AR and ask Brian who makes the best built tranny. Brian supposedly has a connection on 48re, he doesn't build them himself. ATS is just mail order stuff that is WAY overpriced. A BTS tranny for a Ford will run less than an ATS tranny and have a lifetime warranty, not matter what. ATS has all sorts of disclaimers for any sort of tuning you may have done. It will void your warranty. John Wood Transmissions and BTS are the best for Ford transmission, and they will also refer you to the best Dodge guy out there. I would call them and see who they recommend. Good luck!

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We dealt with ATS in July of 2005...that's when we rebuilt our tranny. Can't say how they actually are today...but they were fine then.

6.7powerstroke

Yeah, they were acquired around that time, maybe a little later. They had/have all sorts of quality issues. I ordered a Compressor housing from them for my 7.3 and the quality was absolutely horrible. I had to drive over there and have it replaced with one that wasn't much better. They may do a better job on their Dodge trannys but the Ford ones are bad news. Biggest problem is warranty and tuners don't mix with them.

rustyshakelford

as mentioned ats has changed over the last couple years. I would go with a DTT or suncoast. I would never spend the money for an allison conversion. The 48re is a great tranny when built a little. for about 3k, you could have a tranny that will hold 400 hp and 14k lbs easy. if you dont mind spending some extra money, go with billet input, intermediate and output shaft.

brett

TandT

Thanks everybody. Mine isn't gone, but I'm getting some slippage readings on my Banks PDA.
Has anyone ever heard of Goerend in Iowa? Some people say they are up there with Suncoast as among the best. I have e-mailed both of these to see if I have to go to them or if they have authorized dealers. No response yet.
My back won't allow me to do it myself.

rustyshakelford

Thanks everybody. Mine isn't gone, but I'm getting some slippage readings on my Banks PDA.
Has anyone ever heard of Goerend in Iowa? Some people say they are up there with Suncoast as among the best. I have e-mailed both of these to see if I have to go to them or if they have authorized dealers. No response yet.

i competely forgot about them. They build some of the nicest trannies in the business from what im told. IIRC dave wears a headset so he can talk to customers while working on peoples trucks. I had some friends go with him and they were very happy

brett

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Slipping is normal after some time on the 48re..the bands DO need adjusting and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Rrloren

I bought a triple disc convertor from Dave G. several yrs. ago for my '98 Dodge Cummins. He will talk to you on the phone to answer any questions and buildls topnotch equipment. His triple disc ran for several yrs. in my 98 towing an 11m lb trailer and with as much power as todays new trucks. He stands behind his products and will do the install if you can get to his shop in Ia.

Buford445

HTS in Mich is a Very Good Trans (It's What I have) Garmons Diesel in GA is a VERY Good Trans, Goerend I would Stay away from ATS I just seen 2 rebuilds on ATS Trans that were NOT WHAT ATS SAID WAS INSIDE of them

jpajax

It is Dave Goerand not Goerend. He is one of most honest tranny dealers out there he will not sell you something that you don't need. He will custom make the torque converter for your application. The weakest link in the Dodge tranny is the torque converter.

SilverRhino

It is Dave Goerand not Goerend. He is one of most honest tranny dealers out there he will not sell you something that you don't need. He will custom make the torque converter for your application. The weakest link in the Dodge tranny is the torque converter.

I whole heartedly agree!! I was having issues with my tranny about a year ago, or thought I was. Talked to Dave about a replacement and after talking to him for about 40 minutes he diagnosed my problem over the telephone and talked me out of buying a new tranny! When it's time, he will definitely get my business.

TandT

ATS is not the same as it was 10 years ago. Most of their new stuff is complete junk. I can't speak for the Dodge stuff, but for the 4R100 for the Ford 7.3, the warranty is horrible on the transmission and they are known as the "purple t^@d." Your best bet is to go onto a Cummins blog and see what the best builders are in the country. Or, you can call Brian's Truck Shop (BTS) in AR and ask Brian who makes the best built tranny. Brian supposedly has a connection on 48re, he doesn't build them himself. ATS is just mail order stuff that is WAY overpriced. A BTS tranny for a Ford will run less than an ATS tranny and have a lifetime warranty, not matter what. ATS has all sorts of disclaimers for any sort of tuning you may have done. It will void your warranty. John Wood Transmissions and BTS are the best for Ford transmission, and they will also refer you to the best Dodge guy out there. I would call them and see who they recommend. Good luck!
ATS says they give a 5year 500k mi warranty on their stage 4/5 48re.(shows good for mods) With that in mind, what is the risk? Just asking.
Also, Dave Goerend is working up a quote for me. Waiting for an e-mail back from him. Another mfgr.(Banks) says a new billet torque converter should cure my slippage for about 1/3 the price of a built tranny (mine truck only has 35k miles on it).. If I'm going to do it, I think I would rather just bite the bullet and get a whole built tranny instead of only doing the TQ. Not quite sure which way to go on this yet.

Last edited:

rustyshakelford

A trq converter and vb would probably hold 400 ok. No boosted launches or drag racing though. I would not use banks tranny stuff personally. As long as there aren't any burnt clutches I think you be fine with the above. No need in spending money and building a trans to hold 500 hp and boosted launches unless your going to use it

Brett

TandT

A trq converter and vb would probably hold 400 ok. No boosted launches or drag racing though. I would not use banks tranny stuff personally. As long as there aren't any burnt clutches I think you be fine with the above. No need in spending money and building a trans to hold 500 hp and boosted launches unless your going to use it

Brett
Just good solid towing power is all I need. My boosted launch days are long gone.

6.7powerstroke

That warranty is about as good as the paper it is printed on. Every single truck manufacturer blog site has complained not only about the ATS product itself, but about the warranty process. I live in Colorado and drive by ATS all the time. When I was in the market for a new tranny for my 7.3, there were only two options. Drive to Arkansas to have BTS put one in or CA for John Wood. I wouldn't have even considered an ATS, even though they are 15 minutes from where I work. If you are in CA, I would call John Wood transmissions, they are in S.Ca. There will be an equivalent of him for the Dodge guys that will do equal work. Those transmissions come with the "I dare you to ever break it" warranty. Do as you like, but there are a bunch of people telling you on here to stay clear of ATS, and they are not just Ford guys. Good luck!