Recliners/rockers

Bob Vaughn

My wife showed me her wrists this morning and I asked where she got those bruises...She said she tried to move the chairs....she does not think that she will be able to move them around in order to close the slides....I think they are too large and too heavy plus the handles scratch the wall when going down the road....Mabey we will have to pull up the blinds in order to put the chairs the other way and have the handles clear the slides when they come in....I would be interested in hearing how other owners of the 3250TS's handle this problem.....:(

jbeletti

Bob,

Can't help you on the weight and heft of your recliner, but I have an idea for you on the handle. What I have done the last few years is to use a heavy athletic sock, doubled up. I slip it on the handle and viola - no wall scratches.

With regard to the weight - swivel, rocker, recliner mechanisms are indeed heavy. I have no ideas for you on how to move them. While I am not suggesting you do this, in the past, I have found my recliners to make great gifts. Family members have loved them in their homes :)

In their place, I have ordered narrower, lighter weight La-Z-Boy recliners. We gave up swivel and rocking to have Recline-A-Way mechanisms that allow the chair to remain about 3" from the wall, yet fully recline. Then without the rocker/swivel and narrower, they are MUCH lighter.

At this time, in my current demo coach, I have the standard rocker, swivel, reclining leather chairs. Nice looking, comfortable to sit in, but big, heavy and sort of bulky in the space. I am considering La-Z-Boys at this time, but its an expensive proposition.

Best of luck to you and hope the sock trick works for you.

Jim

MC9

Jim, we just replaced our swivel rockers with recliners from Best Home Furnishings (besthf.com). Check them out.

Bob Vaughn

Bob, Maybe you should move the recliners & have your wife do the lighter stuff?:angel::angel:
I do but she decided she wanted to move them to vacuum under them.....She normally takes care of the inside stuff and I do the outside stuff when we set up and break down....These chairs look like they will be my responsibility ......

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I do but she decided she wanted to move them to vacuum under them.....She normally takes care of the inside stuff and I do the outside stuff when we set up and break down....These chairs look like they will be my responsibility ......
Yup, we do the same routine. I ended up with the recliners too.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Will the slides hit the couch if one swaps the chairs to the side slide and the couch at the end?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
When I move the chairs, I get on my knees and grab the near the bottom. This makes it a lot easier to move them.
Some members here have added the plastic furniture glides to the bottom.

Peace
Dave

ChopperBill

Someone musta screwed up. I Luuuv my Saddle brown, stock, came with the Bighorn, recliners! Put a bolt in to keep them from swiveling. Wish they were wall huggers but with our large living room in the RE we have plenty of room to pull them away from the wall. Figured if they were light enough to move around they wouldnt be big enough for my fat @$$.

Wharton

We bought some lighter weight recliners; put slides on the bottom; put a handle on the back(easier moving with a handle) and a sock over the wooden handle so it wouldn't mar the wall. We are planning to upgrade the sock with a piece of plexiglass on the wall.

We have found extra socks and pony tail holders are indispensable in our RV. Pony tail holders for holding cabinet doors shut and socks for glasses, wine bottles etc................

jgallego

Go to Wal-Mart and get some glider pads that you put on the base. Makes it a lot easier to slide around.

Jaime

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Bob - I feel for your wife. I have been there trying to move the chairs that came with the coach, including being on my knees trying to slide them. My knees got so sore when we were doing cross country trip that I wanted to cry. I found Euro chairs (made by Lane) locally that met the dimensions for traveling when the slides are in and just love them. I just flip the stools into the chairs and turn them sideways. Haven't had any problems in the Sundance or in our now current BC. Hope this helps - Byrd

DSCN1266.jpg

floridarandy

We just recently donated our orignal chairs to Goodwill....like the mattress :). After lots of shopping I (6'3") decided on this, and dear wife, who's 5'5" decided on this model. Dimensions are on the bottom of the page links. Same manufacturer just a bit different width and back height. Both are EZ to move around. The ottoman stows on the seat of the chair and both are narrow enough to easily clear the slides with room to spare. With the ottomon stowed on the seat there's even room to stow other gear along the back wall. Very comfortable but also supportive. Order online and you get free UPS shipping....I think we paid $450-500? each. Came in two boxes and took about 15 minutes to put together....no tools needed...just a couple of screws which tighten with allen wrenches which were included. EZ to move....chair swivels on base, back reclines and adjusts to stay in selected position.

Willym

Similar to ours. We got ours from Sears.

We just recently donated our orignal chairs to Goodwill....like the mattress :). After lots of shopping I (6'3") decided on this, and dear wife, who's 5'5" decided on this model. Dimensions are on the bottom of the page links. Same manufacturer just a bit different width and back height. Both are EZ to move around. The ottoman stows on the seat of the chair and both are narrow enough to easily clear the slides with room to spare. With the ottomon stowed on the seat there's even room to stow other gear along the back wall. Very comfortable but also supportive. Order online and you get free UPS shipping....I think we paid $450-500? each. Came in two boxes and took about 15 minutes to put together....no tools needed...just a couple of screws which tighten with allen wrenches which were included. EZ to move....chair swivels on base, back reclines and adjusts to stay in selected position.

bacaye

Thanks Jim for the sock idea. We did not have the wall problem with the 2010 Big Country but we did with the 2011. I have no idea why one and not the other but was an issue from day one. We will try the socks as soon as we get the Big Country out again. We are also thinking about chair options. I can get them out but can not put them back...After seeing the new Redwood I am ready for the couch along the back...Better yet, would like to have the Redwood!!!

Bob Vaughn

Driving home from work today I think I figured out how to move the recliners....I had replaced the 8 rubber nubs that were on the base ring with 8, 1" sliders.....I was thinking about the straps that were screwed to the floor to keep the dinette chairs in place would make great tow straps....I dug them out of the basement and lifted the base ring and slid one end of the strap underneath hooking it to the hook at the other end of the strap....I then stepped back and pulled on the strap..they slid out with ease.....I then turned the chair 1/4 turn and pushed it back against the wall.... elated with my success I dug out the other strap and put it on the other chair and ran into the house and got my wife....I had her pull the strap and turn the chair and push it back in with ease....no more bruised wrists for her, no more fighting the chairs....Plus I don't have to shop for new chairs and then figuring out what to do with these.....Thanks for all the suggestions....

bacaye

Sounds like you have a plan but don't forget to put the straps back on the chairs with the table when you travel. They forgot to strap our chairs down when we went to pick up our camper..We did not realize it until we got home and opened it up. We were very lucky because the chairs really vibrated into each other. A longer trip would have resulted in scratched chairs from the vibration because we could tell we got home just in time...