What 5th Wheel Hitch do I need?

delucenay

Hello All,
We haven't been camping in many years and just bought a 2011 Greystone 33QS. I have been told different stories on if I need a slider 5th wheel hitch. Do I ? How can I find out for sure? I will be pulling it with a 2005 F250 Ford SuperDuty Truck w/ 6 1/2' bed. Since the king pin sticks out so far on the unit and with it's trimmed corners, I thought a standard hitch would do. Some say no.

So, If I do indeed need a slider, which one? I hear good and bad stories with all of them. Was leaning towards the Pull Rite brand (full auto) but it sounds like it will only connect and disconnect on level ground with the truck and trailer lined up straight. If true, that could be a serious problem for us.

I sure would appreciate any feedback from our new "Camping Family"!
Thanks and God Bless.

jimtoo

Hi delucenay,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I hope you have a lot of fun with your new Greystone. I am moving this thread to the Hitch area, where you will get more and better information from other owners with the experience of towing one.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

jnbhobe

Everyone has their opinion on this, I have had both. The Super-Glide is the cream of the crop. If I was getting a new short bed I would have transfered mine from the 06 to the 2011. The Super-Glide will connect at up to 15* off center. I have connected and disconnected in every direction uphill, downhill, and off to the left and right and never had a problem. I bought it for one reason and that is I never have to worry if I am close to the cab. But I should have a new F-350 in about 3 weeks so I'll be selling my 18K Super-Glide. I know one thing, if I was going to have a slider it would be a Super-Glide. JON

Cimriver

We have a Reese slider and have had it for 5 years. We have used it once, but was real glad I had it when I needed it.

dewwood

First, welcome to the Heartland Family. We have been very happy with ours. To your question, I don't think you need a slider but some feel safer using them with the short bed. I think I recognize your name, it's good to have more local people on the forum. Again, Welcome!

bill40

I vote with Jon, we had a Super-Glide for many years on our old Chevy short bed. Can't tell you how many times it was needed
but I can say it was working every time I was backing in or going through a small town making tight turns, never had a problem hooking up and back then some of the CG were not as nice and level as they are to day. They make a quality product, mine is still in use in my friends nice new F250 ( who bought it ). You will never know if you need one till you get in that predicament and you mat never. Good luck

delucenay

Wow, thanks to all of you for your insight and help. Looks like I will be going with the Super-Glide. I like the "better safe than sorry" idea. I'll post again after all is installed and I have had the chance to use it to let other folks know.

Once again, many thanks to our new Camping Buddies!

Bruce and Patty DeLucenay