Northwest Oregon/Southwest Washington Campgrounds

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Hi Everyone,

We will be taking our 3670 to southwest WA the week of 3/18 - 3/31 to pick up a german shepherd puppy. We can stay on site at the breeder's house (they have a hookup for this) for a couple of nights, but then we want to spend three or four more nights out on our way home.

It will take us two days to get to Long Beach, WA where the puppy is and we have requested reservations from the Premier campground in Lincoln City for the first night of the trip up.

If that falls through, does anyone have any suggestions of where to stay with a basically 40' trailer in the Salem area? I use area loosely. Within the Corvallis - Portland area or along the mid to northern coast. It might be a place we stop on the way back home too.

Is there anyplace we just really should stay or see while we are in that part of WA? We don't want to see Seattle or tow anywhere near that place! But areas outside, maybe on the peninsula, that have good places for our trailer?

Thanks,
Kristy

branson4020

Icantre Member
Kristy,

You should Try Devil's Lake RV Park in Lincoln City. I like it much better than Premier. Lots of nice pull-throughs and I'm certain you would have no trouble getting a reservation.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
We have actually stayed at Hee Hee Ilahee in Salem. It is a nice overnight stay. Nothing there, kind of flat and open (no trees) but sites are paved and level etc. It is a newer park.

By chance, we intended to pass through Salem last summer but we were going to try Phoenix Rv Park. Our plans changed and we never got the opportunity.

Cape Disappointment is a great state park near Long Beach as is Fort Stevens in Hammond, OR.

loafer

We have stayed at Premier in Lincoln city and it was nice.We loved Fort Stevens and its bascically just across the bridge from Long Beach.The ocean will be wild at that time of the year big surf.
Oregon also has some great state parks just below Lincoln city. At that time of the year you should be able to get in even with your long rig.Hope you enjoy your new puppy
Bill

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Thanks for the suggestions so far. That part of March is Oregon's Spring Break, so reservations on the coast are a must unless you just get lucky.

Anyone know of any place between Long Beach and along the S border of WA? How about along the OR side between Astoria and Portland?

Gaffer

Newport has RV spaces right on the bay at the marina. I think I have looked at all the RV parks around Longbeach. They were mostly very small, old, mom and pop places with a bunch of rundown fulltimers. Don't recall the name of the park in Woodburn that is highly rated. Think it was next door to the factory outlet stores. If you end up on the east side of Portland out near the Wood Village Camping World, Portland Fairview RV park is good. Right off I-84 with easy access to 26 if you want to go over Mt. Hood then south on 97. If you stay there let us know. We are colse and would love to see your new puppy.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Newport has RV spaces right on the bay at the marina. I think I have looked at all the RV parks around Longbeach. They were mostly very small, old, mom and pop places with a bunch of rundown fulltimers. Don't recall the name of the park in Woodburn that is highly rated. Think it was next door to the factory outlet stores. If you end up on the east side of Portland out near the Wood Village Camping World, Portland Fairview RV park is good. Right off I-84 with easy access to 26 if you want to go over Mt. Hood then south on 97. If you stay there let us know. We are colse and would love to see your new puppy.

I think we'll just stay on the breeder's property for a couple of nights when we pick up puppy, so no site needed in Long Beach. We are looking at a place in Hoquiam on Grays Harbor that looks nice. Really original name, Hoquiam River RV Resort. Its oly 75 miles from Long Beach up 101.

The place at Woodburn you are thinking of might be Woodburn RV Park which looks really nice and gets good ratings. There is a place at Silverton outside Salem that looks good too and would be close to some friends we haven't seen in awhile. The Hee Hee Illahee RV place that Steve mentioned also gets good ratings, so there are lots more places to stay around Salem and Portland than I thought. I haven't ever really paid attention before since I had no reason to, now they are everywhere!

Our actual spring break goes from 3/18 until 3/27, so we have lots more possible places to stay than time on this trip, but keep 'em coming, since there will be other trips.

PJ, How far is Woodburn from you guys?

Kristy

loafer

We have stayed at the Woodburn Camp spot that you are referring to it has paved pull thrus and is right off I-5. The factory outlet mall is right in front of the campground so you can walk to it. Dean and Jodi (shovel guy) live just east of Woodburn and may chime in here and add some comments for you. We would definitely stay at the Woodburn campground again.
Best regards Bill

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Kristy, if you decide to drive east a bit along the Columbia, Boardman park is a very nice district park. Huge grassy sites, great walking trails along the river. Just west of Hermiston if I remember correctly. We only stayed one night but would have loved to stay longer. I think they were $22 for summer rates.
PS: It's cold here in Elkhart.... :)