GMC 2011 Urea Tank Problems -- They do exist!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warnerelli

Semper Fi
Well it happened. Just 19 days after purchase and less than 700 miles on the odometer I got my first DIC message indicating my Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) was limited to 998 miles. We discussed the new emission regulations with the 2011 Diesel’s and the addition of the Urea Tanks in a past thread in February. There I had indicated I had taken possession of my new 2011 GMC Sierra CC 2500HD with Duramax/Allison combination and that I would update all if I experienced any of the problems related in the original thread.

Yesterday, March 8th as I was heading home from town my DIC reported to me that I had 998 miles of Diesel Exhaust Fluid left. I looked at my odometer and I had 680 miles on the truck. My stomach sunk. I realized then that all the bad publicity these vehicles have been getting was true . . . or at least it was in my case.

I arrived at the dealership early the next morning, March 9th and explained to the service manager my situation. They got right on it. The first thing he verified was in fact that the Urea Tank had been topped off with DEF during the service after the vehicle arrived. His explanation to me was due to the DEF having a shelf life with expiration date the vehicles are only shipped with about a gallon of DEF in them. The service record showed it had been topped off.

Next I was sent to the customer lounge while they ran diagnostic checks on the engine. About an hour later the service manager came out and asked me if I had noticed any leaks on the garage floor or elsewhere. I informed him I had not. I asked if it had been low on DEF. He stated it appeared to be. I then said again, no leaks were evident to me so perhaps it had not been topped off as the service record indicated. They topped the tank off and ran more diagnostics on the engine. Another hour later the service manager came to me and stated with the tank full the computer was now reading about 1300 miles of DEF left and that GM instructed them to empty the Urea Tank and then recalibrated the system and reboot the computer.

About two hours later I was informed the truck was ready but that the system was not repaired and that I would get another false indicator that the DEF was low. As it was further explained to me and later showed to me in writing the current correction may not correct all latched messages and is an interim update and “additional updates are being developed and will be released as soon as they are available”. This message also stated three more points (1) “in cold ambient temperatures customers may comment on an Exhaust Fluid Range message displaying on the DIC even though the DEF fluid has been filled or is known to be full even after the updated calibration has been installed” (2) “as long as the message is intermittent or clears, it is in a Frozen Tank Status and is acting as designed” and (3) if the message will not clear or gives a speed limiting warning return to the dealer for additional diagnostics”.

So basically, after being at the dealership from 7:00 a.m., until close to noon I was told I am being held hostage by my Urea Tank until the next electronic fix is devised and can be administered to the truck. As I said earlier this was discussed widely in an original post. I just wanted to advise you of my entire situation in the event it occurs to you and perhaps to hear from anyone else who has had a similar situation.

Northern Virginia
Sooner or later we all will though.

Hopefully they get a fix for your truck soon.

John

SmokeyBare

Thanks for a very good report. I'm sure those who own a 2011 or are considering a purchase will read it and plan accordingly.

Love my 2009...

danemayer

Jim, I'm not sure from your note re: "interim update" whether they applied the February 8th software update to fix DEF problems. On my return from Colorado a few weeks ago, I started getting a "you have 298 miles left." I thought the message was earlier than expected and didn't give me much react mileage. In fact I could only add 4 gallons before the tank overflowed - so it still had around a gallon in the tank. Although full, the message would not go away. The dealer applied the February 8th DEF software update (which I had read about on a Diesel forum and told them about) and it's fine now - or I should say it's been fine for a couple of weeks now.

Dan

Warnerelli

Semper Fi
Dan, thanks for that information. I have it in hand to take to the dealer with me when I return next week. Good information. As I left the dealer today I noticed my 08 sitting on the lot . . . as I passed I whispered "I miss you" :).

Jim

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood
just some information for you guys dealing with this.......

The whole SCR (Urea) system can be turned off by the dealer until they have a real fix for the problem. I dont know how much arguing you have to do with the dealer to get to this point, but it can be done. But just so you know, this isnt just a GM problem, The medium duty and class 8 manufacturers are all having the same problems with the SCR systems.

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/2011-lml-duramax-powertrain/87781-gm-recall-soon.html

Chuck Richard

I had the same problem but in my case the dealer did forget to top off the tank during the prep. I will remember all these comments though and keep an eye on mine, lucky I don't live in the really cold areas.

hoefler

If the system gets turned off, what do you do to keep the DPF from plugging up and shutting you down??

Rickhansen

If the system gets turned off, what do you do to keep the DPF from plugging up and shutting you down??

The Urea (DEF) has nothing to do with the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF). It works with the SCR (Selective Catalyst Reduction) to break-down Nitrogen Oxides.

ricatic

should of bought a dodge. my dodge has gone 65000 and hasnt been to the dealer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that was real helpful...do you also participate over at rvnet???

While I do have a 2011 Ford 6.7 diesel, the DEF experiences have been way overblown by the non DEF equipped truck owners. I do not have sales numbers for GM but Ford has delivered over 225000 new 2011 diesels. A relative handful have had a DEF related problem. GM's later introduction date means they have fewer trucks but their issue is small in nature as well...unless it is your truck.

GM has acquired an EPA temporary exemption for their problems but if you get the DEF disconnected and do not return to have the final solution installed they will void your warranty...you have to sign a statement acknowledging this fact.

Ford's final solution is ready to be implemented by the end of the month...I did hear yesterday some dealers were already installing the update.

Regards

Riverman

Now that was real helpful...do you also participate over at rvnet???

While I do have a 2011 Ford 6.7 diesel, the DEF experiences have been way overblown by the non DEF equipped truck owners. I do not have sales numbers for GM but Ford has delivered over 225000 new 2011 diesels. A relative handful have had a DEF related problem. GM's later introduction date means they have fewer trucks but their issue is small in nature as well...unless it is your truck.

GM has acquired an EPA temporary exemption for their problems but if you get the DEF disconnected and do not return to have the final solution installed they will void your warranty...you have to sign a statement acknowledging this fact.

Ford's final solution is ready to be implemented by the end of the month...I did hear yesterday some dealers were already installing the update.

Regards
How do you "overblow"the issue of a brand new vehicle that is totally & completely unreliable?
Somewhere during the design/engineering process - the ball was dropped.
I would be irate if I owned one of these units as my personal vehicle.
In the meantime, our 2011 Duramax company trucks continue to be towed more kilometers than they are driven.
Thankfully the tow unit has a Cummins!

6.7powerstroke

Can't speak for the GM crowd, but I have had zero issues with my DEF and have driven my truck several times in -20 degrees. Even if it did, it would take a lot more than that to put me behind the seat of a Fiat. And before the Fiat crowd piles on too much, realize that all of the Fiat cab and chassis set-ups use DEF too.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Can't speak for the GM crowd, but I have had zero issues with my DEF and have driven my truck several times in -20 degrees. Even if it did, it would take a lot more than that to put me behind the seat of a Fiat. And before the Fiat crowd piles on too much, realize that all of the Fiat cab and chassis set-ups use DEF too.

I love my Fiat.

Status
Not open for further replies.