Front Window

EBenoit

We just purchased a MPG 183 and love it. The trailer has a front window that would be subject to flying rocks and does not have a rock guard. There is a modification I found online that requires drilling additional holes into the camper. I have had a 6mil film installed over the window for protection from small rocks. Are my concerns unfounded? Is it a problem?

jimtoo

Hi, EBenoit,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I moved the question to an area where I think you will get better or more answers from other owners. I have not heard of any problems on the forum with window breakage, but you never know.

Enjoy the forum and your new MPG.

Jim M

sjcoffey

We took a rock to our front window and it shattered. It was on the interstate and it pressurized the inside pushing the slide out! Had to cover the opening with cardboard and duct tape to make it home. I'm currently looking for someway to protect it, please list what you have found.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I once had a window break out and went to Home Depot, got a piece of Plexiglass, cut it to size and put it in the opening. It worked great and served the purpose till we got the new window. You could also stop by a glass shop to see if they could help. One that does auto glass.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
This seems like a dumb solution, put some mud flaps on the TV. Might stop alot of rocks. A thin piece of masonite or plexiglass with some snaps to cover the window while towing might work. If you get clear plexiglass you won't ever have to take it off or better yet get some dark tinted stuff to keep the sun and heat out. Might take 6 or 8 snaps so it won't blow off. The snaps can be had at any home store. Cheap and easy compared to replacing the glass.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
This seems like a dumb solution, put some mud flaps on the TV. Might stop alot of rocks. A thin piece of masonite or plexiglass with some snaps to cover the window while towing might work. If you get clear plexiglass you won't ever have to take it off or better yet get some dark tinted stuff to keep the sun and heat out. Might take 6 or 8 snaps so it won't blow off. The snaps can be had at any home store. Cheap and easy compared to replacing the glass.

When I replaced the broken window with the plexiglass it fit right in the frame. If you can fit it in the frame you won't need snaps.

Bob&Patty

Jim, thats good idea except the glass isn't broken yet. The plexglass would prevent the glass from breaking and work as a sunshield as well. Cheaper to replace the plexiglass than the "real" glass.

EBenoit

Thanks for the feedback. I think pexiglass would do the job, but would like to install it without adding additional holes in the camper. I will keep my roll of ducktape handy.

Bob&Patty

You could use heavy duty velcro and I believe it comes in white. Boy, I hate trying to get duct tape glue off.