Integrated Bike Rack in Greystone 5ers?

Geodude

Does Heartland offer an integrated rear bike tray that slides out from the back of any of the trailers? I have a Greystone 33CK on order and this doesn't appear to be an option, but I've seen it on other brands and would love to have one.

I saw a veiled reference to Sundance having such a thing.

D

Dave Willis

A couple of the Heartland Divisions offer a pull out bike rack. The Greystone Division does not offer that option. I would check with your local dealer and see what kind of bike racks are available to you.

Thanks

Geodude

Thanks for the fast reply!

Is it possible to add one to my pending build? I think it's the way to go, but only as a factory-built option, else I'm not interested in putting bikes on the back as an aftermarket item. I've seen too many bike racks (normally the hanging style) fail and drop bikes on the road. Not pretty. I really would like a tray system.

At this point my plans are to:

1) disassemble bikes and lay them in the bed of the truck when we have our kayaks on the roof of the truck. This will be a pain.

2) put the bikes on the roof of the truck when there are no kayaks, but a pain again due to the height of my F-350 (6'9")

3) put the bikes in bags, largely disassembled, inside the trailer. Again, a pain.

4) eventually switch to folding bikes but the last thing I want is more bikes to take care of!

So having a slide out tray where I could mount 3-4 bikes with both wheels on would be incredibly convenient.

Paul

D

Dave Willis

There are better options than putting a bike rack on the bumper. What dealer did you order your unit from? I can call them and see if we can figure something out for you.

Geodude

Dave - Any guidance would be very much appreciated. I agree and certainly would like to avoid putting a rack on the bumper, which is why the tray seems like an outstanding solution.

We ordered our Greystone from RV Capital Wholesalers in Elkhart. We've been working with the excellent help of Gary.

Paul

D

Dave Willis

You should get with your dealer and look into something like caissiel is talking about in the forum. We are not going to be able to put a pull out bike rack on the Greystone units at this time.

Thanks,

In researching a hitch for our Greystone 29MK to haul bikes, I was directed to Lippert the frame manufacture, they have a slide out bike rack available. I am not sure about an option from a dealer but you can try them.

Last edited:

Geodude

Now that I have the 33CK at home, I got under there and had a look. I don't think that rear bumper or what supporting structure there is should have anything attached to it, it isn't built for it.

What I did instead was bought a front hitch for my truck, and a Thule Goal Post rack, which will let me carry our kayaks and canoe up on the roof and out front, with the rear of the boats resting on a roof rack above the front seat of the truck. I will install the second roof rack on the rear of the cab and add my four Thule bike trays there. I should be able to get four bikes up there along with two kayaks. Even two bikes would be good, and I can partially disassemble two other bikes and lay them in the bed of the truck, on some padding.

Mandotar

Dennis - Our new 29MK will arrive next week and this is my first post on this forum. Can you give me any moe specifics on the lippert bike rack? Did you go with that and, if so, has it worked for you?

We haul a couple of bikes normally on back of our 5er and a couple of kayaks on top of our crew cab F250.