2005 F-250 Super Duty Turbo Diesel question

davem

Hi everyone, this is my first post. Since I am new to the 5th wheel thing i thought i would ask the advice of vetrans.
I am trading in my GMC Z71 potentially for a 05 F250 superduty 6.0L Turbo Diesel to pull my new jayflight 27.5 BHS and my boat(17ft).
Unfortunatly my Z71 just wont be able to tow the load.
Just wondering if anyone here uses an f250 turbo diesel and how your luck has been with it?
I am going to be towing close to 9000 loaded.
Any help or advice would be fantastic.
Thanks

Flatop

Interested Member
talk to Midastouch

You need to talk with Midastouch, she had a 05 and traded for and 06. Seem to have alot of injector problems with 05 and blew the turbo pipe off. Left her and I stranded 3 different times. 06 hands down has been much better truck. We are looking at the 08 450 for sure the way to go

Midastouch

My experience, in short ...

Loved and still love my F250 and it does a great job. In a previous post concerning " deisel trucks and manufacturers" there were issues brought up about the 6.0 PSD 04 and 05 models having injector problems and I can attest to that as far as my 05 goes! I left my 05 in Knoxville, after the dealer there replaced a bad injector. (after having to be towed back down the mountainside) I not only left RV's for Less with a new Landmark, but a new truck to bring it home with! When that 05 decided to shut down .... that was it! Thank the Good Lord we hadn't picked the Landmark up yet because I still cringe thinking about heading up the side of that mountian and the truck shutting down with Grand Canyon attached!:eek:

Love those FORD Trucks!

Midastouch

Afterthought ...

dave,

I would get a history on any service done on the particular vehicle you mentioned and see if those issues have surfaced. Mine started acting up around 60K and it wasn't just injectors ... turbo hose blew off, internal oil pump gasket needed replacing (found this problem common in that year) Looking back now it would seem like the previous owner might have been expecting these things to surface soon and got rid of it beforehand ... only speculation on my part. It left us stranded one too many times to take any more chances!

If I didn't like Fords, I would have never gotten another one and this 06 runs and tows like a dream. I know I really need a bigger truck but for now ... my F250 will take us where we need to go.

nhunter

I was fortunate in that I was never stranded but had 9 injectors go, head gaskets etc in an 04. But like Midas Touch loven that 06.

Tom of Ypsi

My truck, see sig, has had no problems. I believe it was the 03 and 04 engines that had the problems and at the begining of the 05 model year there were some left over 04 engines put in. After the 04 engines were gone so was the problems, at least this is what I have heard. Have the truck checked out before you buy to be sure.

jpmorgan37

Late 05's didn't have much of a problem. Early 05's and prior were the one's that had serious problems. My 05, built in October 04 went through a transmission at 2000 miles, injectors, wiring harness, computer between 2 and 10000 miles and the engine let go at 10,000 miles. Ford pulled an 06 engine from the assembly line and now at 23000 miles, haven't had any problems since. Incidently, I wasn't the original owner and found this out after I bought it. I love the truck and hope that my luck continues.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
I have a brand new 2009 Ford F-250 Turbo diesel 6.4 Crew Cab short bed and I love it so far. No problems yet. Of course we have only gone 20,000 miles. LOL.
Got the air bags, and will be hauling a 3400RE.

Last edited:

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
I have a co-worker with a 2008 F-350 Turbo Diesel, Dually who has had 2 radiators installed prior to 34k miles. Don't know about the F-250s.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
OK.. You do understand making noises like this will always bring on the problems. :D

I have a 2006 Ford F250 6.0 PSD CC LB 4wd with around 43,000 miles. Only thing I have had to replace is a fan motor on the AC and a problem with the ABS light that kept coming on..

So far I have had no problems..

I don't want to hijack this thread so I am going to start one and ask questions about any towing problems or modifications.

Catch ya later
BC

lwmcguir

We have had good luck with ours, only two injectors in 100K so not bad. Would sure install air boosters so you can level out the truck when you are towing. The tow feature on the tranny and the built in brake controller work great. We pull several large trailers including an Augusta.

bill148

2005 f-250

Have a 2005 F-250 and have had zero problems. We have 36,000 on it and bought in early 06 so was a late 05 model. Pull a Big Country 3250TS with a 16 ft deep V Smokercraft behind and it pulls very well. It has the tow package and the camper package so it's like the F-350 with the extra spring. Looking forward to the new 2011 F350 6.7 Scorpion. Out the Spring of 2010. Only truck I may trade mine for. Get around 11 mpg now pulling the whole load.

charliehorse

I bought an "early " nov '04 2005 6.0 psd ...early on had "the wiring harness problem" - resolved quickly ......sometimes i have a little "turbo burp" - otherwise flawless @ 44K - runs, drives, pulls, & etc good....I'm very happy with the truck .

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
We have an '05 F250 Crew Cab/Short Bed/4x4 manufactured 03/05. Just turned 50,000 miles. Aside from regular maintenance have had the cam sensor seal and a vacuum pump replaced. We love our truck and it hauled the Bighorn 3055 up that 9% grade in PA after we missed that tiny, little, teenie weenie sign that said No Trucks or Trailers!:eek::eek::eek: Trust me, we have remained awake while driving since then!

escs36

Dual rears is the only way to go. If its mechanical, it will break. Every truck has problems. I personally believe the 7.3's in the Fords are the only way to go.

caissiel

We have a F250, XL plain as can be with buckets, A/C and 6 Spd standard. I got rid of my GM because I was starting to dought the Tranny. The Ford at first was not able to take the hills on overdrive and slowed down. I bought an E-Con from Hypertech and it now just loves the hills. It had 70K on it after 2 years and the Turbo had been cleaned. The truck now has 100K on it, after 3 years, I had too replace the cam and Crank sensor on warranty. The rear disc pads have been a problem, I lost 2 pads so, now I just replace them every fall it takes only 30Min, rust was seperating the pads from the backing plate. I cleaned the EGR valve once, and it was not that dirty at all. But I never Idle my diesels, Idling is the curse on the egr system and 6.0L's. The cooling system on the 2005 and up rocks, and the intake is great also. The new ULSD Diesel fuel is the salvation to all high pressure injectors, Europeen Diesel was mush cleaner but now we are. If it runs good now, be proud of it it will serve you well.

FBT

Lots of places for good advice on the 6.0's and you have had some here.
Check ot the diesel forums.
I am a newby here, so you can take it for what it is worth. If you are buying a truck for the long haul and plan to pull heavy with it, all of them need a bit of help. The 6.0 can be made into a strong runner, as can the 7.3 and the 6.4, although the market for the 6.4 is going to be limited with Ford already out with its new diesel.
I, personally, like the 7.3 I have a '97 F-350 4x4 long bed crew cab dually that I have modded a wee bit,(okay alot) and it pulls at max combined gross (plus a bit) over 7000 ft just fine.
I am in California, and with the new smog laws here for diesels, my truck is exempt due to age. Therefore, I will keep it forever, LOL.
Seriously, whatever you do buy, stay on top of the oil changes, put a super quality fluid in the automatic, and run the largest trans cooler you can stuff behind the grill.
Find a good local mechanic that knows Ford Diesels, and make friends, you will learn alot and your truck will be properly cared for.

CrazyScotsman

I have an 05 6.0 with 55,000 miles and can't say a bad thing about it except my low fuel mileage, thanks to 4;10 rears.