Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2005 F-250 Super Duty Turbo Diesel question

1. Print this Post   #1

2005 F-250 Super Duty Turbo Diesel question

Hi everyone, this is my first post. Since I am new to the 5th wheel thing i thought i would ask the advice of vetrans.
    I am trading in my GMC Z71 potentially for a 05 F250 superduty 6.0L Turbo Diesel to pull my new jayflight 27.5 BHS and my boat(17ft).
    Unfortunatly my Z71 just wont be able to tow the load.
    Just wondering if anyone here uses an f250 turbo diesel and how your luck has been with it?
    I am going to be towing close to 9000 loaded.
    Any help or advice would be fantastic.
    Thanks

2. Print this Post   #2

talk to Midastouch

You need to talk with Midastouch, she had a 05 and traded for and 06. Seem to have alot of injector problems with 05 and blew the turbo pipe off. Left her and I stranded 3 different times. 06 hands down has been much better truck. We are looking at the 08 450 for sure the way to go

Collins Brundige

I'm Midastouch's personal Driver

3. Print this Post   #3

My experience, in short ...

Loved and still love my F250 and it does a great job. In a previous post concerning " deisel trucks and manufacturers" there were issues brought up about the 6.0 PSD 04 and 05 models having injector problems and I can attest to that as far as my 05 goes! I left my 05 in Knoxville, after the dealer there replaced a bad injector. (after having to be towed back down the mountainside) I not only left RV's for Less with a new Landmark, but a new truck to bring it home with! When that 05 decided to shut down .... that was it! Thank the Good Lord we hadn't picked the Landmark up yet because I still cringe thinking about heading up the side of that mountian and the truck shutting down with Grand Canyon attached!

Love those FORD Trucks!
    2010 LANDMARK GRAND CANYON

4. Print this Post   #4

Afterthought ...

dave,

I would get a history on any service done on the particular vehicle you mentioned and see if those issues have surfaced. Mine started acting up around 60K and it wasn't just injectors ... turbo hose blew off, internal oil pump gasket needed replacing (found this problem common in that year) Looking back now it would seem like the previous owner might have been expecting these things to surface soon and got rid of it beforehand ... only speculation on my part. It left us stranded one too many times to take any more chances!

If I didn't like Fords, I would have never gotten another one and this 06 runs and tows like a dream. I know I really need a bigger truck but for now ... my F250 will take us where we need to go.
    2010 LANDMARK GRAND CANYON

5. Print this Post   #5

I was fortunate in that I was never stranded but had 9 injectors go, head gaskets etc in an 04. But like Midas Touch loven that 06.

6. Print this Post   #6

My truck, see sig, has had no problems. I believe it was the 03 and 04 engines that had the problems and at the begining of the 05 model year there were some left over 04 engines put in. After the 04 engines were gone so was the problems, at least this is what I have heard. Have the truck checked out before you buy to be sure.
    [States stayed in while fulltiming

Tom & Judy
    HOC 1048
    SKP 96639

2008 F-450, 4X4, 4:30 rear, Utility Bodywerks, air ride, backup camera and more
    2005 Landmark Classic, Mt Rushmore #9284 Born Feb 2005 SOLD
    2011 MOBILE SUITE 36RSSB3 with vanity slide

Fulltiming and loving it

7. Print this Post   #7

Tom is right. I had an early 04 and my brother has an early 05 and same problems.

8. Print this Post   #8

I have an '05 that I purchased in March 2005 and haven't had the first problem with it.
    Greg and Lyn Hullinger
    2008 Bighorn 3570/ 2005 F350, CC, LWB, 4x4 Lariat

9. Print this Post   #9

Late 05's didn't have much of a problem. Early 05's and prior were the one's that had serious problems. My 05, built in October 04 went through a transmission at 2000 miles, injectors, wiring harness, computer between 2 and 10000 miles and the engine let go at 10,000 miles. Ford pulled an 06 engine from the assembly line and now at 23000 miles, haven't had any problems since. Incidently, I wasn't the original owner and found this out after I bought it. I love the truck and hope that my luck continues.
    John, Sue and Lorna, our Golden Retriever
    Heartland Owners Club #1050
    Retired and Loving It.
    Done RV'in, for a while anyway. Seen a lot of beautiful places and met a bunch of wonderful people.
    Now just Home and Relaxin'. Sometimes Fishin', Sometimes doin' nuthin'.

10. Print this Post   #10
    X-Rookies Still Luving it

I have a brand new 2009 Ford F-250 Turbo diesel 6.4 Crew Cab short bed and I love it so far. No problems yet. Of course we have only gone 20,000 miles. LOL.
    Got the air bags, and will be hauling a 3400RE.
    Last edited by Larryheadhunter; 09-17-2009 at 03:19 AM.
    Larry and Debbi Kuhn
    2 kids 30, 22; 2 beagles Lucy and Stella
    X-Rookies from San Clemente, CA

2008 F-250 Ford Crew Cab 4x2 Diesel Shortbed
    totaled 2009 Big Horn 3400RE
    20K Trailer Saver TS3 Air Bag Hitch
    Garmin 750 GPS

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast