Thread: Recommended distance above truck bed

1. Print this Post   #1

Recommended distance above truck bed

HI;

Can anyone tell me what distance I should strive for between a fifth wheel underside that rests over the truck bed and the sides of the truck itself.?

I have heard at least 6"

2. Print this Post   #2

Re: Recommended distance above truck bed

It about right for me to
    5 1/2 to 6" has been good for me.
    Barbara and Laurent, Retired teacher and maintenance/engineering,Full Timing
    Mods: Hydraulic selector valves, Queen bed, heavier front closet rod, W/D door swing changed, 2" rear hitch. 2" pin box hitch.Added build in water filter, Replaced HW Tank Fittings. Modified 2 ceiling vents. Relocated shocks to 60deg. 9/16" U-bolts and spring plates.Center 7500 lbs Scissor Stabilizer Jacks. Hawkshead TPMS. Reinforced kitchen sink supports.More supports and longer rails to couch drawer. Modified bedroom steps for storage. Modified landing gear jacks, etc.
    2005 Ford F250 SD, XL F250 4x4, Long Box, 6.0L Diesel, 6 Speed Stick, Use ScangaugeII for Economy, available 60 XGauges and Scanner, Fuel Pressure Gauge, Max Energy by Hypertech set at 85HP for cooling, torque and economy. ELC Coolant and Filter and EGR cooler deleted. 2 added 1300lbs each spring plies, Fuel mileage 21 MPusG empty, 12.6 MPusG pulling the BC. 6.2" din2 touch screen car Radio with DVD, TV, CD,SD,USB, GPS and Rear Cam,

3. Print this Post   #3
    Southeast Region Director, HOC Nabo's Avatar

Our dealership recommended between 6-7 inches, making sure that the coach is pretty level. We had to lower the hitch one notch down to help make the coach travel level which made the clearance about 6.5". After we got the TrailAir Tri-glide pin, we had to lower the hitch down again but still have the clearance.
    Nathan & Byrd
    BamBam (toy poodle)
    Home State: Tennessee
    HOC #1298
    2014 Ram 3500 drw
    2019 Landmark 365 Newport

4. Print this Post   #4
    Founders of SoCal Chapter Bob&Patty's Avatar

I would stay at 6" or 7". Not TOO high or your coach will be "nose high". When you get your coach. Load it up, park somewhere flat and see how it sits. The you can ajust from there.
    Bob (Old cranky), Great wife Patty, 5 great kids, 11 grandkids

Callie the wonder dog (we are still wondering) and 1 crazy cat "Baby" (RIP at 18 years old). Callie misses her Kitty.

2013 GMC 3500 HD DRW C/C L/B with all the goodies (the grey ghost). AirLift 5000 with auto leveling. 34 gal custom auxillary in bed tank. Spray in bed liner and rubber mat. 16K Husky hitch.

07 2955RL BIG HORN #5103

58 Belair 2dr hardtop, low and slow custom.

HEARTLAND CLUB MEMBER # 1056

5. Print this Post   #5

Thanks all...I will strive for 6" if I can...my truck sinks when the Fifth wheel is on it and I raise it up again with air bags. I haven't had a chance to measure the clearance yet, but think it's between 5 and 6 now (eyeballing it). If it's low, I will raise my hitch up a notch and compensate with the air bag control to bring me back to level

6. Print this Post   #6

If you get much below 5 inches you have a really good chance of rubbing when you go through dips. I like to be at 6 inches or close to that with everything level. With the 4WD higher trucks it is a good thing most of the HL products sit on the high side. Many coaches out there don't.
    2009 Augusta
    2011 F350 6.7 CC KR SRW LB