It happened to me

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
This afternoon around 1:00 pm I was almost home from the rally when one of my biggest fears in towing happened.I was driving at about 50 mph on a very good highway when I heard an unusual noise coming from the right rear of the camper.I looked in the right mirror and I saw the tread of my rear Goodyear G614 tire fly off the tire.I stopped as soon as I safely could and walked to the back of the rig.I really didn't want to look at the damage but I knew I had to.The entire tread was gone.The tire was still inflatted,but the skirt above the tire was damaged and the metal side wall behind the tire is bent up.The wiring harness was also broken loose from the hanger.The damage was bad enough but not as bad as I was expecting.I got out my wooden blocks and my bottle jack,and put on the spare.And yes I put the jack under the frame.On Monday of last week I gauged the tires to 110 as stated on the side wall.The tires have been on the unit since 2004.Not sure what the build date on the tires is.I need some suggestions now.Since the tires are 7 years old and I have had this problem,should I replace all 4?Thanks for your help.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Terry, sorry to hear you got bit by the tire bug. Truthfully, 7 years on any set of tires is pretty darn good no matter what the mileage is. I'd opt for 4 new ones.

campers2

I would replace all 4 of them.
7 years is more than I would expect out of a set of trailer tires no matter how they look or how many miles they were towed.

trdeal

Thanks everyone,that is pretty much what I am feeling also.I just don't trust the other 3 now that this has happened.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Terry, was your spare a G614? If not, maybe take one of the better existing ones and move it to the spare wheel. Just a thought...

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Terry - sorry to hear about the tire and amazed that you got 7 years out of them. Suggestion would be to replace all 4. I would also have the spare checked for cracking on the sidewalls. If any cracking, then I would replace all 5. Ouch! Also - did I hear that the coach was going into the shop to replace the tree damage tomorrow? After all this - you will have almost a new coach.

trdeal

Terry - sorry to hear about the tire and amazed that you got 7 years out of them. Suggestion would be to replace all 4. I would also have the spare checked for cracking on the sidewalls. If any cracking, then I would replace all 5. Ouch! Also - did I hear that the coach was going into the shop to replace the tree damage tomorrow? After all this - you will have almost a new coach.
Yep,it is going into the shop tomorrow for the tree damage,so now I guess they will have another job to do.The unit had one of those China bombs as a spare from the factory.About 3 years ago I replaced it with the G614.Glad you guys made it home safely.See you soon.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
You have done very well getting 7 years out those tires. Most tire people I have talked to recommend changing your tires out in 3-5 years. We just changed ours out after 3 years following a blowout. We have GoodYear G614 also. We filed a claim with GoodYear and they reimbursed us for the cost of a replacement tire and the damage to the RV.

wonka

My two cents, replace them all, with our last unit, we suffered a blow out, came home replaced three ( not seeing the wisdom now) matched them up to the spare (was different tire than the ones on the axles). Moving the trailer a couple outings later---- boom goes another tire, pretty sure it was the spare (maybe 200 miles on the road, but a few years sitting under the cover) Bottom line, second blow out caused way more damage to the trailer, happened two miles from the driveway. I know it will be four new ones every time for me from now on.

Wharton

We replace every 5 years. We never wear the tires out, tread still looks good but this is a safety and peace of mind issue.....

trdeal

Check the build date of the 7 year old tires,bet you get a real surprise.Replace them all.
Yep they will be replaced.All four have a build date of March of 2004.I replaced the China bomb spare in 2007 with a G614.It has a build date of 2007.Can't remember what month.

SilverRhino

Terry;

I was wondering if you had a TPMS and if so, did it provide you with any warning of the tire failure? Sorry to hear of your problems, thankfully none of it was too severe and most important, no one was hurt!

Travel Safe!

Randy

trdeal

Terry;

I was wondering if you had a TPMS and if so, did it provide you with any warning of the tire failure? Sorry to hear of your problems, thankfully none of it was too severe and most important, no one was hurt!

Travel Safe!

Randy
No TMPS and no warning. I heard the tread hit the under side of the door side slideout,I looked back and saw the tread fly off. The tire did not blow.It is still fully inflatted.

lwmcguir

I would go to 17.5 wheels/tires if you are going to keep the Coach for a long time. Michelin only goes to 10 ply so Goodyear is still the best 14 ply option. I have never blown out a G614 even on old ones in their second life on flat bed trailers. Have some well over 10 years old. However we do watch the 65 mph speed rating. I have had numerous HL products zip by us going 80 or so and then are surprised when the G614's throw a tread. I know they had had minimal quality issues as well. Long trips and retained ownership warrants the 17.5 route in MHO.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I would go to 17.5 wheels/tires if you are going to keep the Coach for a long time. Michelin only goes to 10 ply so Goodyear is still the best 14 ply option. I have never blown out a G614 even on old ones in their second life on flat bed trailers. Have some well over 10 years old. However we do watch the 65 mph speed rating. I have had numerous HL products zip by us going 80 or so and then are surprised when the G614's throw a tread. I know they had had minimal quality issues as well. Long trips and retained ownership warrants the 17.5 route in MHO.

Unfortunately, there are some G614's that have thrown the tread even at low speeds...ours for one...we religiously tow at 55 mph (even have it posted on back of 5er), and at just under three years, we threw the tread on our driver's side rear wheel this past summer. Ended up replacing all 5 G614's with new ones, since we were in an emergency situation, and will upgrade to 17.5 rims and H load GY's when this set gets about 2 1/2 years old....

P.S. We DO have TPMS, and no, there was absolutely no warning with such a catestrophic blowout...our tire also blew apart, unlike others who have remained inflated and just threw the tread...our's was obliterated!! The TPMS took a few seconds to register and sounded after the fact...

Wharton

I thought throwing a tread was primarily caused by under-inflation. We have kept out G614 and predecessors at 100# and never had a blow out. Have had GY for about 15 years now. We generally travel at around 65 since we cross the country twice a year, primarily on interstates.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I thought throwing a tread was primarily caused by under-inflation. We have kept out G614 and predecessors at 100# and never had a blow out. Have had GY for about 15 years now. We generally travel at around 65 since we cross the country twice a year, primarily on interstates.

Apparently not...as you can see we use TPMS and tires are always properly inflated...have no idea, other than defects, as to why these tires do this sometimes....just glad GY stands behind them!