Brake Problems

Geonkat

When slowing to a stop (below 15 MPH), the trailer brakes begin bucking as if the drums are out of round. I thought this might be caused by the factory brake controller, but I have applied the trailer brakes manually without touching the truck brakes and the results are the same. Braking from higher speeds seems smooth and the problem seems to be more noticable when the brakes are warm from some driving (warm to the touch, not hot).
Any thoughts?

Thanks,
George

TedS

Out of round drum(s).
Off center drum(s).
Unequal shoe contact.
Loose shoe.
Loose electrical connection, making/breaking contact.

traveler44

I was going to give alot of advice on what to check on the trailer but then I realized that it could even be the controller on the truck sending an electrical pulsation or something. So I realized that it would be hard to advise you without being there. Hope you find the problem and it is an easy fix. Tom M.

Geonkat

Tom,
It does seem like the brakes are being pulsed and I can imagine the controller doing that. However, when I apply the trailer brakes manually with the controller and not touching the truck brakes, I get the same jerking / bucking. Do you think the controller would do this? The truck is going to the dealer this week for some service and I'll have them check it. I'm sure the response will be "no problem". The trailer goes to the dealer in 2 weeks for some warranty work and I'll have them look too. My concern is that both dealers will blame the other vehicle.

Thanks for all of the replies,
George

rebootsemi

Tom,
It does seem like the brakes are being pulsed and I can imagine the controller doing that. However, when I apply the trailer brakes manually with the controller and not touching the truck brakes, I get the same jerking / bucking. Do you think the controller would do this? The truck is going to the dealer this week for some service and I'll have them check it. I'm sure the response will be "no problem". The trailer goes to the dealer in 2 weeks for some warranty work and I'll have them look too. My concern is that both dealers will blame the other vehicle.

Thanks for all of the replies,
George

Figure out which pin on your plug for the brakes, connect a DC volt meter from it to ground and have somebody apply the truck brakes (with key on) and see what voltage you get, it will go from zero up to probably about 10 volts, but it should be constant and not all over the place. If it is the problem is your controller if not you may have any number of problems, opens in the wiring or bad magnets or ?????

Attachments

• Plug Connection.jpg
    Plug Connection.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 8